SKIVT-L December 2002, Week 1

Mad River Glen, 11/29-12/1

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:39:18 -0500

On Thursday, November 28, 2002 12:46 PM, Mark P. Renson wrote:
>         Tomorrow, I report to duty per a call to arms from our
Flight
> Commander.  'Looks like there's some potential for Treats!

        On Friday, we assembled at the shack to prepare the mountain for a
Saturday opening.  It's amazing how many little things must be done
and it all adds up to a lotta' work.  Gather radios and 'boo,
assemble sleds, etc.
        But we were rewarded with a trip up The Double.  Of course we had
to carry awkward loads in our arms on the chair followed by skiing
down with loads of bamboo cradled in our arms.  I had to mark off
water bars on Quacky.  The headwall was looking great and skied
well.  Untracked knee deep.
        I ran outta' 'boo and waited on Broadway for further direction.
 Roy on the radio reported that he had a bundle of 'boo under the
Double.  I looked over to Nancy from V'ginny (Virginia) and blurted
out "Oh, we should certainly do retrieve some of that 'boo and get
to work".  Of course, the fact that we had to descend via upper
Chipmunk in all of that untracked knee deep had something to do
with that decision.
        After performing chores, we went up The Double again and carried
some more bamboo down Fox/Vixen with its few inches of fluff over
groomed and then down Canyon.  Canyon was fantastic!  I had never
seen it ski so well!  The PD skied by us and let out a whoop as his
serious demeanor melted into ski glee.
        We then took a ride up The Single.  We roped off J-Bowl and as I
waded through snow off of Antelope, I was astounded at the depth of
it.  Upper Antelope was great and then we had to set up the
Midstation.  This meant shovelling a load of snow and shaping the
snow ramps, etc.
        We had to then carry shovels downhill.  I was able to rig up a
system to carry a snow shovel in my pack in order to enjoy the
descent without carrying something in my arms.  Again, Canyon was
fantastic.  I had to readjust the system at the Bunny crossover and
Marc the former PD showed some compassion by assisting me.  I then
spooned his great turns all the way down through S-Turn under the
somber sublime skies.  The AT gear I was using (Tua
Excaliburs/Scarpa Lasers) worked great in the fluff!
        At the bottom, we enjoyed some beers, told war stories and
lamented the great conditions and treats that we were able to
enjoy!  It was all about why I enjoy patrolling!
        That night, I coulda' sworn I heard some raindrops.  ummmm ... I
gotta' admit, I was too late to get a lodge reservation and I don't
like to impose, so I "Dirtbagged It" by sleeping outside in my bivy
sack under the tailgate of my pickup.  It was warm and toasty and I
gotta' lotta' fresh air and heard no snoring.
        The next morning was a bit damp, but no rain and the upper
mountain was still heavily frosted.  It was Opening Day!!  The PD
encouraged us to pick up the pace when we got to the top as the
public was coming.  I took Student Patroller Aaron down with me
with a load of 'boo for potential water bars.  On the radio, Penny
mentioned that she had discovered bear tracks at the bottom of Cat
Bowl.  She found tracks, but we could not find out a whole heckuva'
lot to mark off - the coverage is fantastic.  We finally found ways
to relieve our burden of 'boo.  This enabled us to enjoy the knee
deep powder on Chipmunk!
        For the second run, I took Penny's kid, Nick down the closed Fall
Line to prep it for the public.  COOL!!  This meant tasting the
untracked knee deep.  Uh oh, when we marked off Grandfather's -
[ding, ding, ding, ding]. At the top of Creamery, the radio
crackled and word went out that Beaver was about to open.  I
blurted out to Nick that he did a great job and deserved to be
there at the opening of Beaver.  Skiing was great, albeit a bit
heavy at the bottom.  I had heard that the rain/snow line had crept
up to within 200 vertical feet of the basebox - we dodged a bullet!
        Cat Bowl had outstanding cover and much of the day became a great
white blur.
        In the afternoon, I tracked down some plaid that I saw flying at
the top of Fall Line and discovered that it was Mike Bernstein.  I
pointed out some "@@%$(* Woods" to him for future reference.
        On the ride up The Single, word on the radio was that Paradise was
to open.  Yup, you heard right.  I had no problem coaxing Nick and
Mike Bernstein into this.  I paused at the headwall and watched
Mike nail it the right way at the 7 O'Clock setting without
skipping a beat.  I dropped in at the 4 O'Clock postion and found a
soft landing that even an Air Whose like me could handle easily.
 The rest of the run was indeed paradise as I enjoyed my best run
ever down that classic in knee deep chowder.  Nick and Bernstein
disappeared in a trail of rooster trails never to be found again
..... ya' can't hold back a man and his freedoms, ya' know.
        When we assembled for sweep at the top, Jamey the GM radioed in
and thanked us for our efforts.  Pretty classy gesture, I thought.
 I swept Fall Line and then Beaver.  I took a little extra time and
care than I have in the past as I thought of some advice that had
been given to me by an experienced patroller on The Rockpile the
prior Spring.
        As we left for the evening, the PD asked me where I was heading
that night.  Perhaps he had heard rumours of some vagrant patroller
sleeping under the stars.  .... uh, oh.
        Spencer and Gary, don't worry, go to Risoto's (sp?) - the "Crisis
in the making" is over.  Dirty Old Men like us can breath a sigh of
relief.
        Some snow fell that night ....... still toasty warm, fresh air and
no snoring.  A bit breezy, though.
        The next day ...... OH MY!!!!  As we took on assigments, I deftly
got ahead of others milling a bit and I plucked Gazelle.  Unreal!
 It woulda' been good for mid Winter in the Rockies.  Incredible
knee deep untracked that was light and easy to ski.  This turned
into erotic thigh deep after I dropped in over the super steep
exposed headwall.  Turns were fast, easy and dramatic.  Next run
was down Slalom Hill.  Super conditions at top, but a bit wind
blasted at the bottom.  Birdland had lotsa' treats and of course,
the reliable Quacky did, too.  We opened Gazelle Woods to kick off
tree skiing for the season.  P-Bowl ..... Chipmunk .... lower
Beaver braids .... stuff everywhere .... pow-pow-pow-pow.  It
didn't matter where you went as it was all good.  We did consider
opening The Single, but winds were howling entirely too much at the
summit.
        I ran into several SkiVittles and the encounters were all the same
- "uh .... hi .... uh, can you believe this? .... uh, I gotta' go".
 We were rude, but this was excusable as we were gorging, we were
PIGS, ma-a-a-an.  I caught up with Stop-The-BRUTAL GROOMING-Dave
and he actually behaved somewhat by refraining from going into the
woods.  One didn't have to, anyway.  This was actually one of my
better ski days, ever.
        I received the grim news at a little after 12 Noon.  The day
wasn't quite the same afterwards, but I was still thankful about
the great gifts from The Mountain Gawds and reminded myself that
there is a lot to be happy about.  I even found some nice untracked
in the late afternoon on Quacky III which illicited a joyous whoop
from me.  Fellow patrollers were helpful and supportive.  These are
tough times for me.
        Sweep was down Canyon which stayed in great shape throughout the
entire weekend.
        Just a few more weeks of this, and I just might have to declare it
a "These Are The Best of Times" Winter.

Mark