Feeder birds

JoAnn Lafayette <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:41:56 -0500

I have noticed that my feeders are not being visiting on a regular
basis either. I had despaired of my cardinal pair, they were not
seen since the end of December but showed up on 2/4. (I wonder if
they are the same ones, they look smaller - or are they just
hungrier?) Even my chicadees I am not seeing as much.

I still have some titmouse, downies, my 1 hairy hasn't been around
for a while, but I now have more house sparrows than ever. A
couple of times today a large (15 maybe) flock stopped by for a
snack and moved on quickly.

Does anyone know why this happens. I don't remember such a
scarcity last winter.
 Jo Ann Lafayette, Burlington

P.S. I forgot to mention where I saw the two pileated woodpeckers
incase anyone wants to see them. On the Clark Trail at Shelburne
Bay Park. There is a spot on the Clark Trail walking toward the
lake where,if you take the left short cutoff for about 20 yards,you
would be on the white stone walking trail which starts at the first
parking lot. So stay on the Clark Trail and just past the cutoff they
were calling to each other and stopping at the top of trees to check
for whatever they are finding to eat right now. Sorry if this is not
too good an explanation, but I don't remember any other signs,
except that it is just past where you could turn up the hill (Allen Hill
trail).

PPSAnother good walk in the woods right now with some birds
singing is at Dorset Park. They were just the usuals, robins,
chickadees, jays, crows and one bigger than a crow brown bird
flying silently ahead of me a couple of times behind some trees. I
couldn't identify him but wondered if he could be a gh owl. Has
anyone seen one up there? I was there about 7 a.m. and the
sunrise was quite a show from the main trail. At one point you can
clearly see Camel's Hump with the sun coming up a little to the side
of it, pink sky, quite a sight.