SKIVT-L February 2003, Week 2

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 08JAN03

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:46:41 -0500

On Saturday I headed up to Lost Trail for some turns, eager to check out
more of the newly serviced terrain off Chair 4.  There had been 5 inches of
new snow since it was last open on the previous Sunday, so even though we
were starting out with a dry period, some soft snow was expected.  I had
made plans to meet Jon at Chair 1, but since it wasn't running at opening
time (mechanical difficulties I guess), I headed down to chair 2.
Conditions were OK on the groomed surface, not as soft as the usual Lost
Trail base, but edgeable.  The Thursday and Friday skiers had already skied
on the 5 new inches, so it had been well worked into the rest of the base.

Arriving at the summit from Chair 2, I checked with patrol and found that
Chair 4 was running.  I waited a few minutes to see if I could catch Jon at
the summit, then I was off.  I sampled Main Street along the way, and found
great untracked powder; it seemed more than just 5 inches.  There was a
short line already at chair 4, but soon I was on and up at the summit.  My
first thought was to check out Hollywood Bowl, since it gave us such an
amazing day the previous weekend.  As soon as I dropped in, it was obvious
that it had been worked by the sun.  The new 5 inches since last weekend had
been baked and was well crusted, and the base had hardened a bit as well.
Fortunately, I had a backup plan on where I expected to find good snow and
cut hard left onto the east facing terrain of Saddle Mountain.  I traversed
into the area of "The Ripper" and found great snow.  Everything here was
pretty much as it had been left last weekend, with the extra five inches.
It was great powder skiing!  I enjoyed turns in the open until I gradually
fell into the groomed lift line run.  The groomed surface was much softer
than what I'd encountered back at the main mountain, and there was plenty of
powder on the edges to hit.  I continued working in and out of the
groomed/powder, venturing onto the "Two Dot" trail.  Before I knew it, I had
been skiing continuously for most of the run and had to pull to stop.  I was
definitely not used to such long runs here at Lost Trail.  I finished off
the run and loaded for another run on Chair 4.  This time I wanted to
explore some new terrain and find a nice long sustained run of powder.

I noticed Jon getting in line just as I started up on the lift, and decided
I would wait for him at the top.  I hung out at the top for quite a while
(~20-30 minutes) talking with Mike Parnell, one of the vets from the lab,
and a fixture on the Lost Trail Ski Patrol.  Eventually I decided that
something must have happened to Jon, so I ventured off on my own.  My plan
was to check out the terrain off the skier's left boundary of Saddle
Mountain.  There is a huge expanse of treed terrain over there that should
have nice protection from the sun and hold great snow.  I traversed across
the summit to the Sacajewea Trail at the area boundary.  There was a rope up
for the initial 50 feet, and then I cut to the left into the trees.  The
trees were awesome, spaced about 5-15 feet apart with a blue pitch to the
slope.  The snow was totally powder and there were maybe one or two other
tracks in the whole area.  Since it was my first time in there, I decided to
play it safe and stick relatively close to the trail until I had a sense of
the terrain.  I just kept going and going and going, for what seemed like
1000' of vertical, all the while finding perfectly spaced trees and
untracked powder.

Finally, I had a sense that I needed to pull out onto the trail, mostly
because the terrain told me to.  I pulled out and found Patroller Parnell
kneeling on his snowboard right at the edge of the trail.  He jokingly said
"Hey, you're not supposed to be in there ;)", but in fact I guess I wasn't.
I let him know that I'd waited until after the rope to enter, but as I
looked back up the trail, I could see that there were ski area boundary
signs all along the edge of the trail as well (although no rope).  Mike
filled me in on the policy they're planning for this boundary.  From what he
said, it is actually closed (bummer).  The plan will be to give people one
warning, and then if they're caught in there for a second time that day,
they get a 4 put on their ticket and they can't ride Chair 4 for the rest of
the day.  Individuals who hike up to Saddle Mountain will still be allowed
to ski that terrain (which of course would mean they wouldn't need to ride
chair 4 anyway).  I guess there is a finger ridge (as Mike called it) in
there, that will send people way down into the valley if they don't know
what they're doing and go off the wrong side.  He explained it by saying
that people will of course keep going further and further to get fresh
tracks (as always happens), and some people will probably get in trouble.
During our discussion, he also agreed that "That is some of the sweetest
snow on the mountain isn't it? ;)"  That question gets a definite yes from
me.  I think it's a combination of tree protection, and the beginning of
wrapping around to the north side of the mountain that makes it so good.
The terrain had naturally pushed me back onto the trail, so I had planned to
go that way, but I especially didn't want to cut back in now that I knew the
policy.  Mike was very friendly (it's nice to know some folks on patrol) but
I don't want to set a bad example for others that may not be quite as well
versed in exploring new terrain, especially at this stage where Lost Trail
is still setting up policy and working out things at the infancy of Chair 4
operation.  Talking with Jon a couple of days later, he suggested that a
gated policy, checking out with patrol etc. might work.  Although the
terrain I was in wasn't avalanche terrain, you could most definitely find
some off the north side if you looked.  If you head directly north, the
terrain seems quite steep.  Thus, beacon/probe/shove etc. might be something
that patrol could require/suggest.  Anyway, we'll have to see what develops,
but hopefully something can be worked out for access to that terrain.  There
are many acres there that will offer great skiing with a simple traverse
back to Chair 4.

Since I wasn't going to go exploring off the north boundary now that I knew
the rules, I decided to check out another area of interest.  Along the ridge
that leads from the summit of Saddle Mountain back to the top of the main
base area, many steep shots drop off the left into the Hollywood Bowl/Elk
Basin area.  I was curious about how access would be gained to these shots
now that Oreo (the trail that traverses the ridge) was open.  I checked with
Mike, and he indicated that you couldnít access these areas from Oreo (I
didnít go look, but I assume there are signs and or ropes).  He said that
the thing to do was to get high in Hollywood Bowl, and traverse as high as
you could from there.  There are many cliff areas in this region, which
appears to be why they limit the access, but Iím not sure.  So, I traversed
across the top of Hollywood Bowl, but eventually got stopped at a rope just
before a large cliff area.  It wasnít as far as I wanted to go, but the snow
here at the edge of the bowl was untracked so I figured Iíd drop in.  The
snow looked great, but it turned out to be crust city just like the rest of
the bowl.  Once I got below the open areas of the bowl, I jumped into the
trees and explored terrain to the right.  The snow was nice, but I didnít
find any really good lines with much pitch; this is the bottom flat part of
the bowl before one heads to Elk Basin.  Itís just not steep enough for many
sustained shots, although a few short tree shots are present.  After that, I
skied some trees I knew to the right of Elk Basin, and worked my way to some
of the trails off the north side of Bear Claw Ridge.  The snow is awesome
there, north facing and deep.  Powder turns will be available there for the
foreseeable future.  I finished off the run down on some Chair 3 terrain,
then rode the lift up and headed to the parking lot.

Weíve been dry this week, and Iíve been a bit worried about how conditions
will be for an upcoming ski trip next week to Lost Trail, Big Mountain,
Fernie and Kimberley.  However, it looks like the high pressure ridge is
going to break down and moisture will come ashore.  Iím hoping the snow can
hit Fernie, since it sounds as though conditions are quite hard there at the
moment.  Reports will be on the way as the trip develops and time permits.

J.Spin