]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  February 2003, Week 3

SKIVT-L February 2003, Week 3

Jay 2/15,16,17 Earned Turns at Hickory 2/18

Sharon Heller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:00:24 -0500

3 days at Jay. First 2 in the brutal cold. -22 on the thermometer at the
house in Montgomery at 7am. We had a slow start. Got on the slopes at 10am
saturday and I don't think the temps got above zero all day. It was
seriously the coldest day I had every skied. I kept warm with hand/toe
warmers and many layers. I did not get any frostbite, but some of my
people were not so lucky. We had 3 frost nipped noses, one frost nipped
cheek and a toe that turned black between 8 of us.

The sunshine gave us the illusion of warmth. We took the tram up first
thing and came down through the Canyonlands/Bonaventure and directly over
to the Jet lift. No wind made riding the Jet quite comfortable. A coupla
Timbuktus (some fresh still available), UN, Kitabuhel and a Kitz woods and
it was time for lunch. After lunch we rode the Bonaventure lift up hit
Canyonlands again and back to Jet for another round of Timbuktu (and
beyond) and another Kitz/Hells. The sun dips behind that peak around
2:00ish so we went over to the Bonaventure Lift for a run down Vertigo and
back up and over to Everglade while we still had the illusion of warmth
from the sun. The runout was so painful I decided to go in, even though I
had the energy for a few more runs. The 3 of my buddies decided to take
the Freezer up for a run in Beaver Pond where some fresh powder was found.
They came back with frost nip and one of them ripped his ski pants on a
tree he got tangled up with.

Sunday we started the day with Rob from the Marketing Dept. We took the
tram up and went into Valhalla, where a few fresh turns were to be had.
We were photo of the day (be sure to cut n paste the whole link).

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/page.asp?
intNodeID=2631&sysStr=PARCH2:intViewID-3_intNbDisList-1_intNbByRow-
1_intArticleID-2281;

Temps got into the teens that day and sunny. We were able to ride the GMF
and do a few runs in BBP (where there's still some fresh) and BP,
Everyglade and North Glade. That day we also did Deliverance, which was
surprisingly excellent.

Monday it was plain balmy. A coupla layers lighter we did Jay a 3rd day
with multiple runs down Valhalla, Vertigo, Everglade and BBP. The best run
of the day is a run that includes 4 glades...Valhalla, an umarked/unamed
glade called "Sex in the Woods" by the locals, if you bear left you can
cross milk run over to the middle of Canyonland, then over to any of the
lower glades (Bonaventure, Show Off or Buck Woods).

Conditions were excellent in the woods. Plenty of packed/tracked snow and
a few shots of fresh hear and there. Not a flake of snow fell while we
were there. It was the first time that I had been there and not seen any
snow. It was also the first time I had been to Jay during President's
weekend and never had to wait in a lift line. The only lines were at the
Tram sat and sun until 2:30 or so.

Some of our group left monday afternoon and it took them 11 hours to get
back to Ithaca in a driving snowstorm. I would not subject myself to such
misery to leave ski county (but I would do it to get to ski country).

Back home it was dumping and we were jonesing for some pow. So today 3 of
us left Montgomery early and we stopped half way home at Hickory Hill in
Warrensburg, NY (exit 23 Northway). This small ski area is a coop and is
only open on the weekends. It has a rope tow and a coupla poma surface
lifts. Maybe 700 vertical feet. The poma rides are black diamond in and of
themselves as they are very steep and I've been told they run them fast.
Today they weren't running and we hiked up the poma line. There was 8" of
untouched snow all over the mountain. The parking lot had not even been
plowed. The place was ours.

My 2 dogs were very excited about being there and proceeded to roll in the
snow. They got even more excited when they saw my skis come out of the
rocket box. Neeka jumps around in quick circles when she's psyched for an
outing. She was going round n round. Owsley just waited patiently at my
side.

This little ski area is steep. We boot packed trail up, but it was on 8"
of fluff on a firm base. It was quite challenging. At the top of the lift
line I was beat and ready to click in and ski. My friend said nuh uh,
Sharon, we ain't to the top yet, and he helped me on with my pack and lent
me his MSR snow shoes which made it much easier to negotiate the steepest
stuff. We were only half way. It was only going to be harder from there,
but he convinced me it was worth the effort, so I trudged on. The dogs
would run up and back to me the whole time spanning the distance between
the first person and me (the last). We asked them not to track up the
whole slope and they obliged for the most part. I know they enjoyed the
climb more than I did.

After skiing 3 days of glades and bumps at Jay my legs were like noodles
and I was stuggling to operate them on the climb and wasn't sure if I'd
have anything left for the descent. I felt surprisingly refreshed when we
got to the top.

The trails had nice big moguls topped with completely untouched fresh
powder. Hickory is not a place that does much grooming except for the
lowest slope at the tow rope. So it was natural conditions topped with
fresh.

The earned turns were very sweet and well worth the sweat it took to get
them. One of my friends had a helmet cam and took some footage of his
descent as well as ours. I enjoyed seeing me ski down followed by my 2
dogs chasing me.

We skied down to the car for a bite to eat and my friends prepared to go
back up for some more fun. I still had 3 1/2 hours to drive and figured my
legs probably wouldn't want to do the climb again, so I chalked it up as a
first ascent/descent at Hickory Hill for me and it made my day.

Back in the car for another 3 1/2, the roads were completely cleared and I
was going 80mph most of the way. Stopping at Hickory was a perfect break
in my 7 hour drive.

Excellent 4 days of skiing. Day 5 tmrw night at Greek Peak. We got about
15" of snow, so the skiing should be fine.

-Sh