SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE March 2003

Stopping the Planned War Against (first) Iraq

George Salzman <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:08:24 -0500

Saturday, March 8, 2003

Friends,

      I have two requests:

1. I have more or less given up posting my notes to this list, for the
reasons I previously explained, but I tried to put the entire SftP list on
my personal mailing list, so as not to cut you off. If you are NOT getting
my messages (generally less than one a week, even in these emergency times)
and want to get them, please send me a note [log in to unmask]

note from one of the SftP list members suggesting that I suppress the names
of the recipients. I thought I was doing that, by addressing them as Blind
Carbon Copies (BCC), but apparently that doesn't suffice. If someone can
tell me how to suppress the names of recipients, I will appreciate it. The
reason I want to do it is because it's a pain in the ass to get a message
with about 100 other recipients listed. My messages go out in batches of
about 100 (or 50 if the server can't swallow all 100 at once), and there are
now about 600 entries, including, hopefully, most of you.

The message I got, from Martha Livingston (one of us) is reproduced below,
in the only format this listserve allows for. Martha says she doesn't know
who I am. OK, I'm not Noam Chomsky, I admit. I initiated this listserv by
writing Steve Cavrak several years ago and proposing that it might be a good
idea to try to "resuscitate" -- on the internet, the then-inactive group
begun during the Vietnam era. Steve, who's at the Univ of Vermont, is a
"computer savvy person", was always a lot of fun in SftP in the old days,
was politically right on the ball, and so it happened. Steve and I are
considered to be the "owners" of the listserv, which allows us to access the
membership list. That's how I got your name, Martha. As new members sign on,
Steve and I get notified. And as people withdraw, we get that info too. So
I've been adding new members to my personal list as I learn about them, BUT
NOT REMOVING THOSE WHO QUIT. Any of you who want off my personal list can do
so by sending me a note.

Here's Martha's note: