Re: Party hour definitions

Rosalind Renfrew <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:17:08 -0500

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Hi everyone,

Here's a good question from Ted Allen (Washington County coordinator) about
"party hours" that I thought was useful, in case it's unclear to anyone
else. For those of you who haven't seen the manual yet, skip reading this.

>In reading over the manual, I found that the directions for recording party
>hours on page ten are inconsistent with one of the examples that is given
>on page 11.  One example and the definition you give on page 10 counts
>party hours as the number of people in the party times the number of hours
>the party was in the field.  The other example, on page eleven, gives two
>people birding together for four hours and then separately for two
>additional hours as a total of 8 party hours counting the first time period
>as four hours instead of eight.  The confusion may be that, in the example
>on page ten, the three observers were all birding separately rather than
>together and that is why the party hours are listed as three.

Exactly. Birders birding together count as only one party. So you would
multiply the number of hours they bird together times 1. When they split
up, they become more than 1 party.

>My experience with Christmas Count is that they count party hours the way
>your second example does, not the way your definition does.  Are you sure
>your definition is correct?

In my description on page 10, I don't make the point of saying that the
observers are birding separately, and thus each observer counts as a
separate party. I can see why that causes confusion. So to reiterate, if
people are birding together, they only count as one party.

>According to Xmas Count protocol, four people birding together for three
>hours is three party hours, not twelve.

Yes, same with the Atlas.

I hope that helps clarify!

Roz