more on party hours

Rosalind Renfrew <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:01:11 -0500

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

A follow-up question about "party hours"...
(An aside: I've already, predictably, received jokes about the term...it
makes us sound like such a wild group! We'll just have to live up to the
reputation. Actually, I stole the term from the Ontario Atlas).

>Another question:
>       Any suggestions for those of us living within our territories (blocks)
>and constantly scanning?  Should we do an estimate each week?  ???
>Barbara Brosnan

That's a toughie, it depends on what you mean by scanning. If you're
actively taking the time to look for breeding evidence, I'd write down your
time spent as a visit. But if you're just taking 5 minutes here and there
to listen or look for anything new from the same spot, I wouldn't count
that as a visit. If you're bouncing around to diffeent spots within your
block, keep track of the time you spend looking, because then it is more
than just a casual encounter - you're actively looking, going to new places
where you might get new species for your list.

I hope that helps - I'm sure there will be "gray area" situations.

Roz
Rosalind Renfrew
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
27023 Church Hill Road