VBBA March 2003

Re: reply issues resolved!

Ernie Buford <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:22:30 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Information for anyone also using (or intending to
use) the VTBIRD listserve....

Please note that VTBIRD still uses the default listserve
behavior, which is to interpret "reply" to mean "reply to the
list address".  This interpretation is normally correct for a
true discussion list because readers replying to a message will
usually be participating in the discussion.

Problems occur when readers see a message from someone they know
and think "gee, I haven't heard from Joe (or whoever) in awhile;
I think I'll send a personal greeting".  This problem is made
worse by lame email programs that don't give the user sufficient
control over (or indication of) the destination of a reply.

There is a long-standing debate about which type of reply
functionality is better, and I don't mean to fuel a continuation
of that debate here.  I only wish to remind you that VTBIRD and
VBBA will now handle replies differently.  VBBA is a different
type of list, so the change may be the best prescription.  As
always, it is still a good idea to double-check the destination
address before sending an email.

Regards,
Ernie Buford
VTBIRD List Owner

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Rosalind Renfrew wrote:

> VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Someone pointed out that I could manage the listserve so that hitting the
> reply button would result in replying to the email sender rather than the
> whole list. I think I have set it up so it will do this, so we shouldn't
> have any more problems. If you want your email go to the whole list, you
> will have to cut and paste the listserve address.
>
> Thanks for your patience!
>
> Rosalind
>
> Rosalind Renfrew
> Vermont Institute of Natural Science