SKIVT-L March 2003, Week 3

Some followup from Plaid over France

Skip King <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:23:02 -0500

Hope Wes doesn't mind if I copy a few items sent to him
backchannel to the list.  Truth to tell, I was in the process
of resubscribing to the list when I sent them and failed to
realize that the conversation was backchannel anyway.

***************

On 17 Mar 2003 at 7:28, Wesley Alan Wright wrote:

> So there they are, Skip and Marc, with the Green Plaid that brought
> them together tying them together. And do they invite me? The guy who
> virtually brought them together? I am chopped liver.

Don't sell yourself short, Wes.  You are not chopped liver.

You are paté.

Y'all are gonna have to wait for Guido's report for all
the details, 'specially in as much as the resort in
question is a client of mine, and I'll hold to the same
non-promotional parameters with which I discussed
ASC.

But some of the cool stuff that I did AFTER Guido and the
other writers left:

-Truly earned turns (first time in a long time) - drove
across the valley to Champigny, took four lifts at La
Plagne, hiked up the Glacier de Bellecote (damned
near killed my sorry, overweight, sea-level ass) to
about 10,500', then skied the Col de Nante glacier.
Snow kinda sucked up top - suncrust and windslab -
but down lower, we did get into some nice corn.
Beautiful, beautiful place.  Got real spooky down at the
bottom, having to ski and hike across the debris from
four MAJOR and recent slides.  3KM skate out at the
bottom.  I was pretty much useless by the time we got
done, but it sure was worth it.

- Hung out in the kitchen of Le Chabichou, a Michelin
2 Star restaurant (denoting it as one of the world's
best, according to the French, who are mighty
persnickety on some subjects but do, by God, know
how to cook).  Was in the kitchen from 9 am to 2:15
pm, after which they chased me out into the dining
room and fed me.  Mind you, this is a place that gets
roughly a hundred Euros for LUNCH (closer to 200
Euros for dinner), before the wine.  Damned tasty.

- went for a parapente ride yesterday.  I think I might
have a new love.  [NOTE:  the powered glider on Ebay is
essentially a parapente (parasail) powered by a backback
mounted small engine.  Saw one flying over a Grateful
Dead show at Oxford Plains Speedway - about a half hour
from my home - back in the late '80s.]

Just got home about an hour ago.  Long day, starting
at 4:30 am local time (Courchevel) and arriving home
about 6:30 pm local time (Hanoverbythejeezis
Maine), plus the six hour time change, of course.  This
after a final dinner with a bunch of
senior people from St. Moritz, with which
Courchevel has a friendly relationship, and too much
Genepi (the local eau de vis, made by infusing 80
proof grain alcohol with a bit of sugar and a local
herb that tastes similar to chamomile.  It's better than
it sounds, although it does make one make some
terrible decisions.

Damned puppy grew like a weed while I was gone.
Good thing he recognized me - I barely recognized
him.

****************************

On 17 Mar 2003 at 7:28, Wesley Alan Wright wrote:

> Unless Marc has taken up jumping, I believe he has been moved here:
>
>         http://www.courchevel.com/images/photo-
jour/archives/ph-76.jpg

The woman on the left in that shot, by the way, is Auriele
Grospiron sister of Edgar, a majordomo with Dynastar, a
very lovely woman and an even more beautiful skier.

[NOTE:  I was there when the ski jumping picture was
taken; the photographer, Patrick Pachod, is a Courchevel
local and a friend of mine (also, he and his brother, who
runs the jumping hill, were our guides for the glacier trip).
The jumps at Courchevel were the site of the jumping
events during the Olympics.  First time I've ever seen a
jumping hill from anywhere but the bottom; we rode the
funicular then hiked down to the judges tower, then hiked
down from there.  I always thought ski jumpers were crazy.
Now I know this for certain.]

*********************************

On 18 Mar 2003 at 21:03, Wesley Alan Wright wrote:

> Not just a majordomo with Dynastar, but one of the finest FIS mogul
> skiers on record.

Didn't know that, but not surprised. God, can that lady
ski.... On the day in question, we were trying out the new
Dynastar "Courchevel" ski.  It's essentially a custom
labeling of the new Dynastar Cross 10 ski, which hits US
stores next fall.  I liked 'em.  Guido didn't.  On the other
hand, Guido had stayed up "researching the nightlife" until
5 am and was trying them out after minimal sleep.  As he
watched Auriele dance down a 45 degree, crud-filled
chute, Guido muttered "I'm beginning to hate her."

Not me - I was falling in love.

> Ah, genepi... one of my finest ski days ever was spent wandering
> around Tignes and stumbling by chance into some classic off-piste
> itineraries, followed by a long soak in my bathtub with belgian
> chocolate, a good book, and a bottle of genepi. Later that I night, I
> visited the only place in Le Val Claret that seemed to have night-life
> before midnight: the bowling alley. It should have been surreal, but
> in a genepi haze, it seemed rather natural.

Genepi makes one make incredibly bad decisions.  It isn't
hard to make, by the way - the rule is "40 genepi flowers,
40 grams of sugar, 40 degree alcohol (essentially, 80 proof
vodka) and 40 days."

The genepi flower is rare over there, but after having it
described as being similar to chamomile and seeing some
flowers infusing in some of the flashier bottlings locally, I'm
rather intrigued.. you see, a VERY similar looking plant -
also described to me as "close to chamomile" grows like a
weed in northern New England.  Hell, it IS a weed.  You
see it growing all over the place around here, anyway. I
believe I shall attempt to make some this summer.

My absolute favorite local comestible, by the way, is
Beaufort cheese.  Can't get enough of it.  And no way in
hell I could make it here.... the wild herbs, grasses and
wildflowers munched by the cows are unique to the
location, and you can definitely taste 'em in the cheese.

skip