]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  April 2003

SCHOOL-IT April 2003

IMPORTANT: Tech Planning updates & NCLB info

Bill Romond <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:48:18 -0400

Hi all -

This message will provide some information about the work underway on
the Vermont State Educational Technology Plan, some of the implications
for your local technology planning efforts, and steps you can take now
to begin addressing the accountability requirements of NCLB.  PLEASE PASS
THIS INFORMATION ALONG TO OTHERS IN YOUR SCHOOL/DISTRICT WHO NEED TO KNOW.

*** Local Plan Requirements: Most of you know by now that the US Department
of Education's Technology Plan drives our state plan - which, in turn -
drives your
local plans. Because it appears that there is a delay in the development of
the national plan, the "Transitional Technology Plans" developed for the
July 1, 2002 deadline under NCLB, will remain approved through AT LEAST
12/31/03. ***

It is not our intent to require locals to complete any new plans until
there is some direction under a new federal plan. In addition, any new
planning requirements in Vermont will be based on the transitional plans
referred to above. About 94% of Vermont's schools are now operating
under approved "Transitional" technology plans.

With regard to the new state plan, work is now beginning to gear up.
Work completed so far includes:

* A Detailed review of the original (1996) state plan has been completed
* E-mailed commentaries/critiques on the original review by many in
Vermont have been received
* An alignment of the original plan review with NCLB has been completed
* Six foundational "Elements" for the new state plan have been adopted
* The Six "Elements" for the state plan have been aligned with NCLB
* Preparation of a VERY rough outline for the state plan based on the six
Elements
is underway
* A draft list of "musts" that the state plan absolutely needs to
address has been produced

Next month a small group, with representatives from each region of
Vermont, will convene to complete the very rough outline of the state plan.
In
the fall we will convene a large statewide (or two regional) work
session to consider, and possibly refine, the outline; and to identify
the goals, strategies, activities, timeline, responsible parties, and
resources that will make up the plan itself. Please stay tuned for
additional updates and the announcement of a Web site where you can see
the work on the state plan as it progresses.

WHAT CAN YOU DO NOW AND THROUGH THE FALL? It is clear that NCLB will
require more formal accountability measures regarding two main goals:

1. The achievement of technology literacy by all eighth grade students
2. The integration of technology into all curriculum by 12/31/06

Therefore, any efforts you make locally to determine the extent to which
technology is integrated into the curriculum and/or the degree of
technology literacy achieved by your students will be progress in the right
direction.

A technology literacy definition has been adopted by the State
Educational Technology Director's Association (SETDA): "Technology
literacy is the ability to responsibly use appropriate technology to
communicate, solve problems, and access, manage, integrate, evaluate,
and create information to improve learning in all subject areas and to
acquire lifelong knowledge and skills in the 21st century." This should
be useful as, at least, a starting point for Vermont-based discussion of
what technology literacy is.

Since we know there will be a significant emphasis on accountability, we
will likely (not definite yet since the State Plan will provide full
detail)be supporting a "multi-path" approach to gathering data relative to
the
goals mentioned above. It should be possible for school and/or district
personnel to use student artifacts (in the form of portfolios or
documentation from School Report nights), formal observations (the
Vermont Classroom Observation Tool
http://www.vermontinstitutes.org/leadership/vcot.html), performance
assessments (Some Vermont educators in the northwest corner of the state
have begun this work), surveys (Taglit appears to be very helpful
http:www.taglit.org) and other means. There will be a session at the
Dynamic Landscapes conference (5/21 at Castleton) regarding the NCLB
requirements and some resources to help meet those requirements.

The state technology plan will express this vision clearly and will
identify helpful resources as schools work to gather the data they need.
We will also use the technical support funds we receive under NCLB to
advance this work.

In addition, there are three very good Web sites that will be helpful:

Vermont Institutes http://www.vismt.org/programs/infotech/index.htm

The "Technology Planning" portal at http://www.edreform.net. This portal
is organized around Vermont's six "Elements"

Technology Briefs for NCLB Planners at
http://www.neirtec.org/products/techbriefs/default.asp

I hope this update provides some useful information. Please feel free to
contact me if you have questions about the developing State Technology
Plan or other NCLB-related technology issues.

Thanks -

Bill Romond

Educational Technology Coordinator
Vermont Department of Education