Fwd: Re: safe dates

Rosalind Renfrew <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:49:07 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Hello Atlassers!

Thought I'd pass along a good question that's appropriate for this time of
year, since we're not yet within safe dates for many species...

>At 07:19 AM 4/27/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi Roz:  Here's a question that has arisen---when entering data are we not
>>to enter birds heard or seen prior to the safe date?  For example I heard a
>>brown creeper in an area where I usually find them during the breeding
>>season yet the safe date is 5/20.
>>                                                     Sue W.

Because birds can sing while migrating, you wouldn't enter it until it's
singing within the safe dates. The safe dates are supposed encompass the
time when a species can be assumed to be nesting. This means that before
the safe date for a species, you might very well have territorial males
singing on your block that will nest there. But the safe date helps ensure
it's truly a territory. If you'd like, keep notes on where you hear males
singing; you can always relocate them once we're within their safe dates.

Keep in mind also that these safe dates are a "first draft" in this first
year of data collection, and are subject to change if people feel that any
of them are inappropriate.

Rosalind Renfrew
Director, VT Breeding Bird Atlas
Vermont Institute of Natural Science