GPS units useful?

Carolyn Marsh <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:41:13 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

My husband John and I are signed up for the VBBA project in the
Westminster West block and are interested in the possibility of using a
GPS unit to assist.   Right now we are trying to educate ourselves on
the features and pros and cons of two different models (Garmin eTrex
Vista and the Magellan Meridian Platinum.) We have both in our hot
little hands --for a short time.

We assume that a GPS might be a useful tool. Our major concern is
whether it can effectively operate in the wooded environment that we
will encounter. The reviews and manuals that we have read all mention
the importance of having an open sky view for accurate navigation.  Our
test runs show intermittent signal loss under semi-open evergreen cover
but we have obviously not been able to test in a  situation where the
deciduous trees are fully leafed out.

We would appreciate any input from forum members who have experience
with GPS units-- either on this specific issue or on their personal
experiences with various makes and models.

Regards,

Carolyn Marsh
Wellesley MA