VTBIRD Archives

April 2003

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:
The Copenhavers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:10:36 -0500
Had my first Song Sparrow of the season this morning at my feeder,
and first female Redwing.  The redwing had such a distinctly
yellow throat patch and light (nearly white) eyebrow stripe, that
I didn't immediately think "redwing."  It was heavily streaked and
my brain was on sparrows, so it took me a while to change gears.
(What? No yellow-throated sparrows?).  It's interesting how the
first bird of the season, even of a common species, can throw you.

It's curious to me how many comments there have been on the Juncos
arriving.  I have had juncos all winter, as in past winters.  My
theory is that at my location, next to a mixed woods, I am seeing
the winter residents.  People in other locations must be seeing
just the migrants.  It would be interesting to know about the
habitat near those who see only the migrants.

I'm also curious about an observation that the Blue Jays have left
when the Redwings arrived. "My" blue jays and redwings have been
coexisting nicely.

Ken Copenhaver
Fairfax VT