]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  April 2003, Week 2

COMMUNET April 2003, Week 2

the rousing Arizona forum on "media ownership" aka "media concentration"

"W. Curtiss Priest" <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:15:05 -0400

Dear media-list-folk,

As some of you know, I have rejoined the MIT community
as a Research Affiliate in the Comparative Media Studies
Program (CMS).

One fellow in MIT IT said, "we thought you'd never left  :)"

A couple of members of the MIT list, [log in to unmask],
have expressed surprise about my postings to them.

CMS encompasses a wide variety of interests at MIT, and, my
more issues/policy oriented postings may seem out of character
to some who accept media channels as they are, and wish to
compare within that context.

I, however, do question paradigms.  It was for that talent
that I was part of MIT from 1978 to 1986 in the Center for
Policy Alternatives (in E40-250 for my MIT readers) on
issues from telecommunications policy to legislation on
health, safety and the environment.

I am fortunate that some within CMS appreciate the (underfunded)
efforts I have accomplished since that time, under a separate
nonprofit, called CITS and I am most grateful to be welcomed
into the CMS community.

***

When I heard that Commissioner Copps of the FCC would be
speaking at the Arizona forum, I asked if the event was being
audiocasted on the net?  When I heard it wasn't, I made a
number of inquiries, and I managed, for no direct cost, to get
the forum available via Internet feed through the cooperation
of PBS TV station KAET in AZ, and the Linux Public Broadcasting
Network located in CA.

And, on Monday, a number of us "tuned in" to hear a rousing
forum about how concerned many people are about the current
move of the U.S. FCC towards more lenient ownership policies.

So, I attach a Benton Foundation summary of an article,
and an Arizona State University article about the event, fyi:

ARIZONA CITIZENS BLAST FCC IN PUBLIC FORUM
At an Arizona public forum co-hosted by the Benton Foundation yesterday,
group of over 80 citizens, journalists and policymakers gathered at the
KAET
studio to debate FCC proposals to deregulate US media ownership limits.
FCC
Commissioner Michael Copps, speaking at the event, argued that the FCC
should give the public more opportunities to offer input on the proposed
deregulation. "There's potential to remake our entire communications
landscape, for better or for worse, for many years to come," Copps said.
Phoenix art gallery owner Kimber Lanning complained that previous
deregulation of the radio industry had allowed corporate monopolies to
squeeze the diversity out of radio programming. "It's like having the
most
vibrant colors you can imagine watered down into the most blah shade of
brown," Lanning said. Benton Foundation President Andrea Taylor added
that
public forums were important tools to give citizens a chance to weigh
the
potential impact of deregulation. "Once the ruling occurs and people
begin
to digest the impact, there will be even greater concern, but by then it
will be too late," she said.
[SOURCE: Arizona State University, AUTHOR: Garrett Neese]
(http://www.asuwebdevil.com/news/411406.html)

And, the full text of that link is:

["fair use," "teachable moment," "archival," Section 107(a), 1976
Copyright Act and 1998 Digital Millennium Act]

Arizona citizens blast FCC in public forum

Issue crucial to the future of newspaper, radio debated on campus

By Garrett Neese

Arizona journalists, politicians and citizens blasted the Federal
Communications Commission's efforts to further deregulate ownership
laws during a public forum Monday at the KAET studio.

More than 80 people attended the forum, which featured prominent
figures such as former "20/20" anchorman Hugh Downs and FCC
Commissioner Michael Copps.

Currently, corporations are prohibited from owning a radio station and
a print newspaper within the same city or geographical market. A
potential FCC policy revision, which was the focus of Monday's forum,
could loosen these limits.

Copps, a Democrat who has organized similar forums nationwide, said
the rulings would have a sizeable impact on the audience. No other FCC
members have attended the forums.

"There's potential to remake our entire communications landscape, for
better or for worse, for many years to come," Copps said. "Media
consolidation has gone far, far beyond what anybody could have
reasonably imagined in 1996."

Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard decried the lack of competition
in the Phoenix market, saying Phoenix journalism missed the "violent
and vigorous dialogue" present before the folding of the Phoenix
Gazette.

"It's extremely hard for me to figure out how anything but diversity
is in the interest of our democracy," Goddard said.

East Valley Tribune editor Jim Ripley said he was "greatly concerned"
with the possibility of Gannett, owner of the Arizona Republic, buying
out Freedom Communications, owner of the Tribune.

"We try to represent the view of the East Valley," Ripley said.
"Certainly a viewpoint could be lost [if the paper was sold]."

The forum was the latest in a series of informal sessions held across
the country to increase debate about the upcoming review. The sessions
are hosted by the Benton Foundation, a group that watchdogs the
communication industry in the public's interest.

The effects of the 1996 Telecommunications Act came up repeatedly
during the discussion. The act deregulated all communication
industries and left control in the hands of the market, not public
policy.

Some panelists said the act had a homogenizing effect on broadcasting,
while others credited it with saving smaller stations from extinction.

Kimber Lanning, an audience member and owner of the Modified Arts
gallery in Phoenix, said corporate monopolies have made most radio
stations bland and less experimental.

"It's like having the most vibrant colors you can imagine watered down
into the most blah shade of brown," Lanning said.

Downs agreed that the range of ideas broadcast on the air had been
narrowed down considerably.

"In a way, it's more diversified, but in a way it's become more
centrist," Downs said.

The forum was taped by KAET, and a simultaneous Web cast was
broadcast.

Andrea Taylor, president of the Benton Foundation, said she hopes the
taped forums can be used during the FCC hearings.

Taylor said the forums were intended to increase public awareness of
the FCC rulings before they happened.

"Once the ruling occurs and people begin to digest the impact, there
will be even greater concern, but by then it will be too late," Taylor
said.

Reach the reporter at [log in to unmask]

--

           W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
        Research Affiliate, Culture & Media, MIT