Finally, Norton has released official virus definitions for the
Bugbear.B worm . The antivirus server that pushes out virus
definitions to client machines was updated to these new definitions
(6/5/2003 rev 5) and worked all afternoon pushing out the most recent
definitions to all its client computers.
If you are concerned that you have the virus, here are the steps you
1. If you have not already done so, install Norton AntiVirus 8.0 on
your PC: http://www.uvm.edu/software/windows_index.html
2. Launch the AntiVirus console (Start-> Programs ->Norton AntiVirus
Corporate Edition-> Norton AntiVirus)
3. Make sure you have the latest virus definitions. Click on the Live
Update button to check for the most recent definitions.
Need help with that? Click
1999121613163206 for instructions on using LiveUpdate to retrieve virus
If you have just installed Norton AntiVirus and cannot run a Live
manually download and install virus definitions from the Symantec
Security Response Web site.
4. Select Scan-> Scan Computer-> Check C: and any other local drives
5. Click "options", set "Delete infected files" as the second action
item for both Macro and non-Macro viruses.
6. Start the scan.
7. Click View->Quarantine in the Norton Antivirus console.
8. Select all quarantined files (if any), then click the red "x" to
9 . Restart your computer and scan one more time.
To read more about this worm:
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]
If you still have questions you can contact me or call the Computer
Helpline at 6-2604
Computing and Information Technology
University of Vermont