SKIVT-L June 2003, Week 1

The Trek For Torreys 6/2/03

Matt Duphphy <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Jun 2003 04:33:26 -0400

Cliff Notes version:
--------------------

Over the course of 11 hours-

We hiked, skinned, boot-packed up steep sketchy hard snow, scrambled up
endless loose piles of rock, skied, skinned some more, hiked some more,
skied some more, traversed, downhiked through a confusing maze of old
mining roads, and hitch hiked back to our car.

The Whole Story:
----------------

By the time we were standing here, about to ski this,

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_2ndrun.jpg

we had endured a long, difficult journey testing toughness of both physical
and mental varieties.

Our planned route toward the 14,270' peak was the result of perusing
topographical maps, as well as(and more importantly) our ascent to Sh!t For
Brains a few weeks ago. From the top of that ridge, we looked off the
backside and saw an enticing route to Torreys jutting up nearby.

We skinned up the gully next to CDOT on Rt 6 that day and hiked when it got
too steep the rest of the way to the ridgeline. This leg of that journey
was relatively easy, and we assumed it would not be much more difficult
this time around.

Don't ever assume. It was the first of two big mistakes we made, which
ultimately prevented us from summiting that peak.

When it was time to take the skis off and hike the steepness we couldn't
skin, the route was a whole lot different than that first time. After
kicking every step into hard snow, trying not to think of the punishing
death thousands of feet below us, a different sort of challenge arose.

We'd fully expected a lot of snow to be melted, but didn't account for just
how rocky the Rocky Mountains are.

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_scramble.jpg

Scrambling around and climbing up an everlasting pile of unstable rocks
proved to be a slow, meticulous and draining task. Exhausting. It robbed us
of so much time and energy to get to the top of that ridge that we knew we
wouldn't be hitting the summit of Torreys today.

But we did know we were staring straight down the back of that wall into a
600 foot couloir,

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_1strun.jpg

and that we were about to ski it.

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_1strunb.jpg

The red line indicates the route ahead as far up Torreys as we had time and
energy for, as well as the run we ended up skiing. The little blue arrow
points at me, skiing on perfect spring softness over a smooth firm base.

At the bottom of that run we looked back up and stared long and hard at the
whole ridge. A gorgeous array of chutes descending steeply from the top.

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_bside.jpg

Sitting there gawking at that, we soon realized our second big mistake. We
brought food along with us, but through miscommunication it never made it
out of the car. At least we had plenty of water. And one hard boiled egg.

A difficult slog ensued, skinning at the highest angle we could up and
across steep, sloppy SE-facing snow. Baking under the late morning sun.
Every other step one of our skis would slip out from underneath us, sending
balls of wet snow rolling down below.

Finally on that ridge, barely onto the tip of the iceberg, we sat and
rested at the spot from which the first picture of this post was taken.
About to ski a run might barely be considered part of Torreys.

Taking the camera out and snapping photos on this run was the furthest
thing from our minds. Tired and hungry and eager to have gravity on our
side, we just skied it. With a NW aspect, this couloir contained perfectly
smooth spring silk in the early afternoon. Relative to surrounding chutes
this one was wide and gently pitched. 40-50 feet across and no more than 30
degrees at its maximum pitch.

Given our depleted state it was just what we needed. A fast pleasure cruise
arcing out big ones down vertical that just kept on going. 8 or 900' vert
of hero snow and tear jerking speed.

Energized and awoken, we spurted out giant GS turns down the
snowfields 'til it was time to traverse back to signs of civilization.

Traversing below the myriad couloirs of Torreys,

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_nwface.jpg

we encountered paths of destruction below each and every one. Entire stands
of trees were snapped off and laying splintered on the ground. Rocks both
large and small were strewn everywhere.

http://back-pack.org/ninja/PM/uploads/images/duphphy_-_avidstrctn.jpg

One slide in particular captured our awe. It ran down from the top of
Torreys for hundreds of yards across the flats and back up the other side
of the valley. Such a vast section of forest was knocked down uniformally
with tree-tops all pointed in one direction that it looked like a nuclear
bomb had gone off. Unfortunately the above picture was the taken of the
first downed trees we saw, and it was the last one before the film was
spent.

Eventually we ran out of snow and began our hike toward a raging mountain
stream. Found a way across it and to the dirt road on the other side. Then
came the long walk out.

Many forks in the road presented more puzzles to solve. We oriented
ourselves with surrounding mountain peaks and gut instincts, somewhow
managing all the right choices.

The road crossed the stream many times and with each crossing it became
deeper, wider, and faster. It eventually became more of a river than a
stream. At one of the trickier places we stood dumbfounded with exhaustion
and slowing minds. I looked around and found a big heavy log that I deemed
would make an excellent bridge.

Without a word, with skis and everything else strapped to my back, I picked
up one end of the log and flipped it toward the river. Mir stood bewildered
wondering WTF I was doing. End over end I kept manuevering it, and the
large piece of deadfall got heavier and heavier. Finally I was in position
to put it in the water between two rocks that would hold it in place.

I summoned up strength, picked the whole thing up, and threw it into the
water. A perfect shot landed the log exactly where I planned. Then it was
immediately swept away by rushing water as if those rocks didn't even
exist. Bye bye, log!

After laughing our a$$es off we got our feet wet and crossed shin deep in
whitewater. The rest of the walk down that road was just a bit squishy. ;)

Distance went by and along with it more intersections and choices popped
up. We again came upon a river crossing and this time it was over our knees
and raging with whitewater and very strong current. After a whole lot of
prodding around we managed to cross it, hungry and tired.

It wasn't long after that the road became much smoother and seemingly well
maintained. The burden was getting too much too bear and we decided this
was a good place to dump our packs and stash them. Driving back to get them
later seemed like a great idea.

Within a quarter mile, we came upon another intersection with a sign
pointing up to Grays Peak. This made my eyes light up as it reassured that
we had taken all the right turns and were getting very close to the bottom.
A couple minutes after that, a Jeep Cherokee came down from the Grays
trailhead and picked us up.

It was only another half mile or so to the car we'd parked at the bottom,
but we were quite grateful for each and every step the ride saved us.

Drove back up as planned, picked up our packs, and rode off to a bar in
Silver Plume - the closest place to get food and beer. 50 cent tacos never
tasted so good. With full stomachs and a a little buzz on, we reflected.

We passed a lot of tests - of character and strength. Lessons were learned.
Endless challenges were overcome. A couple of terrific descents were made.
Surrounded constantly by untainted beauty, we did not see another soul for
11 hours out in the wilderness. I don't even want to guess how many miles
we covered. Every single bit of this trek was difficult, and the completion
of each task was rewarding in and of itself. I won't soon forget this one.
A _huge_ day.

A fantastic journey.

mpd