LISTSERV Archives

CSSA Home

CSSA  August 2003

CSSA August 2003

Re: cssa minutes

Ange Barbateiu <[log in to unmask]>

Computer Science Student Association <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:32:04 -0400

Thanks!  Comments below:

Quoting Alison Rosenblum <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hello and happy summer!!
>
> We hope you are all enjoying your break.  We are
> looking forward to seeing all of you at many CSSA
> (Computer Science Student Association) events this
> year.  The new CSSA officers met last week to get
> pumped up for, and to plan, many of this year’s
> events.
>
> This year’s officers are:
>
>         Charlotte Pratt (President)—[log in to unmask]
>         Yoav Keren (Vice President)— [log in to unmask]
>         Alison Rosenblum (Secretary and
> Treasurer)—[log in to unmask]
>         Chris Ruscio (Webmaster)—[log in to unmask]
>         David VanHorn (Public Liason)— [log in to unmask]

Congrats everyone!  Thanks for the work you put into this.  I always have fun
at your events.

>         We have scheduled approximately 6 speakers throughout
> the year and one tentative video conference

Oh cool, who? what?  Unixy stuff?  :)  If you haven't decided on all 6 people
yet, there's a Java programmer I know who was willing ot speak at the Java
User's Group, but since I haven't had any response from the Champlain folks
(the JUG may be dead), he may be willing to speak to CSSA instead.  He's a
graduate of St. Mike's.  I can probably find his email address.  Let me know if
you'd like it.

>         Discussed the idea of becoming an SGA club:  the
> process and requirements would require a lot of time
> to keep up with.  We would like to hear your thoughts
> on this subject.

I'm considering the same for the Anime club.  But I didn't know there was
another option.  You guys seem to have a budget even though you're not SGA.
How'd that happen?  Is it because CSSA helps support the CS dept by developing
interest in the subject?  Maybe I should wander over to the Film or Art
departments?  If you have thoughts on this, email me.

Anyway, SGA would give you a "second" budget?  Or would your budget switch over
to the SGA and stop coming from the Dept?  Really SGA is about having money (so
you can do more stuff, and pay for cooler speakers), and opening up more
opportunities to advertise your club, like the "UVM Bored [web] Page."  At
least that's my impression right now.

What are your reasons for considering it?

>         In 2 weeks, Sat. Aug. 30th, we might have a table at
> the class of 2007 BBQ
>         UVM activities Fair--Tues. Sept. 9th  10a.m. to 3
> p.m. we will have a table
>         We will be posting CSSA flyers and posters before
> classes begin
>         Website suggestions?

I think someone in UPE has a cool webcam of a Hawaii beach.  Very relaxing to
watch.

Download sites for freeware/shareware would be cool too (as well as
annotations.  I spent a lot of time this summer finding neat downloads that I
just don't know how I lived without.  Like Hackman (mostly for the calculator),
Free Agent (newsreader), Ping Plotter (maps the hops from machine to machine),
and Cygwin (use Unix commands on your Windows machine).

There's a cool web page that lists software equivalents between Windows and
Linux:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/

But that's just links.  Content would be good too.  It's always easier to come
up with links.  :)  One more, there's a "Should exist" web site where people go
to discuss software/technology that doesn't exist yet but should:

http://www.shouldexist.org/

Happy last couple of weeks before summer!  :)

     -Ange