]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  August 2003, Week 3

MEDLIB-L August 2003, Week 3

Re: Windows 2000 in computer labs--SUMMARY

Deborah Adams <[log in to unmask]>

Deborah Adams <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:33:33 -0400

Here are the responses I received to my email below.

We use Windows NT here at the moment (although we will be going to XP
shortly).   Each user must have a network logon password, and the way our
system is set up, a printer must be manually added the first time a user
accesses their account on our two (ancient) library computers.  Further, our
machines hold only so many profiles (again, this is an issue with the amount
of memory and may be a function of our old machines), and once the limit is
reached, we need to have those profiles wiped out in order to allow more
logons.  This must be done by an administrator, and we have not been given
administrator rights on our machines.

We have a computer lab in my building, not maintained by
the library, that uses windows 2000. It's used for teaching
purposes only (not staffed/used as a walk-in computer lab).
There is a generic logon for teachers to use during classes
and it's the same for all computers in the lab. I do the
same thing in the library-generic logon that is maintained
by me.

Yes Deborah it's possible:
the network has the same IP (hospital IP)
it is protected by personnal protocols (log in and password )
for e-mail on intranet :a second barrier protects you from  exterior
(firewalls software security and proxys).
and you have a second personnal login/password with security certificat
to connect the web and seeing amazon.com.
Warning your e-mails are private and so your personnal data.all infraction
is penally punishable.
All PC are linked to the network with many or less software and certain
are allowed to system administrators who can function as server.
The more the posts you have the more you meet bugs
Ideal is to form specialized loops to share similar tasks and  gather
hardware :scan,laser writer....
 at last you have to link secondary loops with hierarchy of security levels.
personnaly I hate OS Windows (NT XP and others...) microsoft and Bill Gates
and am working on a Mac OS Jaguar 12.6: E.T. among a world of PC.

I use Windows 2000 in our computer lab (the main lab for the campus). We
have one login that anyone can use to have access to our electronic
learning tools. We also provide personal logins for students or faculty
that need to have storage space on our server.

The biggest difficulty is maintaining parity of access for the various
logins. As you mentioned, some programs are installed only for the user
who is doing the installation. We work around this by having a small
batch file run on startup which copies program shortcuts from the "all
users" and "default user" profiles into that of the person logging on.
This provides access to the various programs regardless of who did the
installation.

Another issue is access rights to various directories. Some programs
require access to directories that usually are only provided to the
administrator. It takes some time when you install and test a program to
be sure that you've given everyone appropriate permissions to be able to
use a program.

The good thing about Win2k is that you can lock down the computers
pretty tightly, minimizing the amount of havoc a user can cause.

Thank you to all who responded!

Debbie Adams
Director, Library & Internet Services
(248)471-8434