]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  August 2003, Week 5

MEDLIB-L August 2003, Week 5

Additions to the FDLP List of Essential Titles for Public Use in Paper Format

"Russell, Judith C." <[log in to unmask]>

Russell, Judith C.

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:30:12 -0400

The list of Essential Titles for Public Use in Paper Format,
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/pubs/estitles.html, includes
approximately 50 titles, which are to be distributed by the Federal
Depository Library Program (FDLP) in paper as long as it is feasible to do
so. The list was negotiated with great difficulty over a considerable period
of time. As usually occurs with this type of negotiation, it is not entirely
pleasing to anybody, but is the best we can do as a community if we can have
only one Essential Titles list. I believe that the answer is to expand the
list so that Federal depository libraries of various sizes and types can
identify a few additional paper titles that should remain available to their
libraries, whether or not they are essential titles for the entire
community.

Many of you have heard me say, or have read remarks in which I have said,
that I don't believe the core list of FDLP titles for selection by for a
small public library is (or should be) the same as that for an academic law
library or a large research library. The same can be said with respect to
the Essential Titles list. If the FDLP is to attract and retain libraries in
the future, GPO must break out of the "one size fits all" mode of operation
and customize its services to the unique needs of its partner libraries.

The Slip Opinions of the Supreme Court are the test case for this new way of
doing business. In response to a resolution of the American Association of
Law Libraries (AALL) Executive Board, I have decided that paper Slip
Opinions will be added to a supplemental Essential Titles list for selection
only by law libraries and regional libraries. This option will not be
extended to other depository libraries, even to law libraries that receive
slip opinions under selective housing agreements, and no law library or
regional library will be forced to accept the opinions in paper.

As I said, this is a test case. I am very conscious of the slippery slope. I
cannot and will not re-open the issue of paper distribution of the Serial
Set or the bound Congressional Record because it takes disproportionately
large amounts of resources to provide these titles in paper beyond the
distribution that has already been determined. GPO has to administer the
program for the benefit of all participants and use the available resources
for the optimum mix of products and services.

However, based on the decision on the Slip Opinions, I am offering a similar
opportunity to other depository communities (such as small public libraries,
large academic libraries, etc.) to discuss the Essential Titles list among
themselves and recommend one or more titles that they, as a community, would
like to add to a supplemental Essential Titles list, specifically to address
the needs of their constituents. I am sure there are titles that are
valuable to a significant subset of depository libraries that were dropped
from the Essential Titles list in the negotiations because there was
insufficient support from the full range of depository libraries. (This
decision also paves the way for truly customized selection, which we hope to
offer in the future, so that each depository library can eventually have its
own Essential Titles list and utilize print on demand, among other options,
to obtain in print titles that are essential to its own tangible
collection.)

I have asked the Depository Library Council (DLC) to assign current or
former members to assist in this process. The designated members will
facilitate communication within groups of depository libraries based on size
and type. This is not intended to be a rigid or cumbersome process, but
rather a way to rapidly identify a few key titles on which there is broad
consensus within a specific size and type of depository library.

Please understand that implementation will be difficult with the current
legacy systems for management of item selection, so we will ask your
patience with procedures that we may need to put in place to make this new
way of doing business work in old, inflexible systems.

The coordinators that have been identified to date are as follows:

Law Libraries:
        Barbie Selby, [log in to unmask], 434-924-3504
        Paul Arrigo, <[log in to unmask]>, 724-983-2880

Small Academic Libraries:
      Michele Mcknelly, [log in to unmask], 715-425-4482
      Mary Prophet, [log in to unmask], 740-587-6512

Large Academic Libraries:
        Duncan Aldrich, [log in to unmask], 775-784-6500, x256
        Doris Helfer, [log in to unmask], 818-677-2562

Small Public Libraries:
        Barbara Ford, [log in to unmask], 217-244-1898
        Cheryl Malone, [log in to unmask], 520-621-3957

Large Public Libraries:
        Laura Saurs, [log in to unmask], 973-733-7812
        John Graham, [log in to unmask], 513-665-3358

Federal Libraries:
      John Phillips, [log in to unmask], 405-744-6546
      John Kavaliunas, [log in to unmask], 301-457-4090

State/Other Libraries:
      Chuck Eckman, [log in to unmask], 650-723-2982
      Lynne Siemers, [log in to unmask], 202-877-6260
      Ann Marie Sanders, [log in to unmask], 517-373-9489

GPO Coordinator
     Lisa Russell, [log in to unmask], 202-512-1690

To facilitate this process, please go to
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/tools/essential_titles_survey.html
and complete a short survey identifying a few titles that your library would
like to have added to a supplemental Essential Titles list. This information
will be routed to the coordinators for your size and type of library and
will facilitate their efforts to identify titles that are important for your
group. Please complete the survey NOT LATER THAN Friday, October 10, 2003.

You can also send an e-mail message to the coordinators for your type and
size of library, so they will know that you wish to participate in this
process. The coordinators will summarize the recommendations and communicate
with the libraries in each group to try to turn the lists of suggestions
into specific recommendations to GPO. There also will be an opportunity to
discuss the recommendations during the breakout sessions at the Depository
Conference in October.

Please feel free to post this notice to other appropriate lists and to
contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

Judy Russell

Judith C. Russell ([log in to unmask])
Superintendent of Documents
U.S. Government Printing Office