]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

UVMMENSLACROSSE Home

UVMMENSLACROSSE  October 2003

UVMMENSLACROSSE October 2003

Former Vermont standout Thomas Hajek Taken in First Round of NLL Draft

"Gordon W.T. Woodworth" <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Mens Lacrosse <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:43:20 -0500

For Immediate Release                                             Contact:
Gordon Woodworth
October 26, 2003
802/656-1110

Former Catamount Two-Sport Standout Thomas Hajek Picked
Ninth Overall in Saturday's National Lacrosse League Entry Draft

BURLINGTON, Vt. - Former University of Vermont two-sport standout Thomas
Hajek (St. Catharines, Ont.) was selected ninth overall in the first round
of the National Lacrosse League entry draft Saturday.

Hajek, who was a captain in men's hockey and a three-year letterwinner in
men's lacrosse, was selected by the Philadelphia Wings of the professional
indoor lacrosse circuit. Interestingly, one of the all-time great
Philadelphia Wings players is former Catamount great and Hall of Famer
Scott Gabrielsen '88, who played for 10 seasons in what was then the Major
Indoor Lacrosse League.

Hajek, one of the finest student-athletes ever at UVM, was named to the
Verizon Academic All-District I first team last spring. The 2003 male
winner of the Wasson Athletic Prize at Vermont's annual Senior
Letterwinners' Dinner, Hajek was named second-team All-District I in
2001-02.

Hajek successfully combined athletics and academics in his four-year career
at Vermont. A Business Administration major with a 3.79 grade-point
average, he was a three-time member of the America East Academic Honor Roll
for lacrosse and the ECAC All-Academic Team for ice hockey. In 2002 and
2003, he was named to the America East Commissioner's Honor Roll for having
a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher.
In lacrosse, Hajek had 11 goals and 16 assists for 27 points in 2002, and
in 2003 he recorded two goals and four assists for six points in six games
for Coach Steve Beville. In America East games, he went 2-3-5 for the
Catamounts.

For more information contact the National Lacrosse League, please check out
their website, http://www.nll.com.

--30--

Gordon W.T. Woodworth
Director of Athletic Communications
University of Vermont
Phone: 802-656-1110
Fax:    802-656-8328
http://www.uvmathletics.com

*****
"You and I must keep making the right choice, doing the right thing, day in
and day out, year after year. Thus we accomplish far more than we suppose
and do more good than we realize."
United States Senator John A. Danaher
*****