SKIVT-L October 2003, Week 3

Re: car question (with tires addressed)

Tom Moore <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:36:46 -0700

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 07:20, alan belsky wrote:
> My wife is getting a new car through work. AWD choices are Rendezvouse,
> Montana or Outback. Any comments would be appreciated.

Was out in Tahoe for a week's worth of skiing in 1999. What impressed me
was that we received 62" over a weekend. No big deal around Truckee.
Turned out that the shuttle driver for my ride from Logan to Needham was
from Lake Tahoe and we talked about cars. I asked about chains. He said
that locals didn't bother - just buy 4WD/AWD.

Hmm, I wonder if I should move to Tahoe? If I buy a 4WD/AWD, I would
then have to move to Tahoe.

Didn't want to go the SUV route. Didn't need one. Didn't need the space.
Wanted better gas mileage, etc. A car it was. Consumer Reports talked
about the Audi A4, Volvo Cross Country, VW Passat, and Subaru Outback.

Volvo finally got it right with the 240 but then decided to discontinue
the model. The Cross Country had predicted rate of repairs between
miserable and bad.

Had driven a Subaru out in Colorado. Found it to be under powered though
the AWD worked great. At the time it was switchable. Found myself
swerving around. Pulled the lever and tracked straight. :-) Same thing
in deep snow but wasn't moving. Pulled the lever and walked out of the
snow.

Had been unimpressed with the VW warranty. While almost everyone else
offers at least 3 years/36K miles, VW offered only 2 years/24K miles.
Consumer Reports reported rate of repairs to below average or average.
The short warranty implied to me that VW didn't trust their products.

Then there was the Audi. Smaller than the other cars. But for a single
person, did that matter that much? The 3 year/50K bumper-to-bumper
warranty was great. Fun car to drive. Predicted rate of repair was
average to slightly above average. Since I was getting a station wagon,
I bought it in fire engine red with a stick. As much as friends game me
tihs, why was I the one who always ended up driving on road-trips?

Moved to Tahoe since I had picked up the AWD car. We get some snow in
the area. My first story windows are usually covered by mid-January and
there is snow in my yard until mid-May. If a non-primary road is in the
sun, one doesn't see pavement until April. Compacted snow, sometimes
compacted Sierra Cement, becomes glacier like - read "ice" - but doesn't
involve creep. Went with studs from Costco. Wee, the car has claws.
Stability on ice/snow was never an issue.

However found the Audi A4 wasn't the best of all cars for the snow we
get. Snow emergencies are not declared until there is a 60" storm
accumulation. The scene is slightly different than in New England. While
I only got stuck once (stopped in a snowplowing berm), I noticed that
the car didn't do to well in deep snow (lets say more than 15"
untracked).

In order to get my girl friend to move out here, I bought her a Subaru
Outback wagon. Since she can't drive a stick because of ankle problems,
she has a stick. I drove with her from Utah out to Tahoe and was
impressed with the Subaru (spelled as "U R A Bus" backwards). Told her
that if anything was ever to happen to my Audi, I would get a Subaru
Outback.

Was going to work one morning during a mid-December storm. Had stopped
snowing and the there was some loose snow on the road. Since it was
still early season and since I am lazy, the studs were not on the car. I
came up over a hill at 30 mph and saw a commercial snowblower occupying
all of my lane. The ABS started pumping away but on loose snow not much
was going to happen.

Became an interesting physics experiment. The snowblower was at 90
degrees to me and I was going pretty much straight. I caught the blower
in the counter weight area which deflected me off at about 45 degrees.
The snowblower driver said that he did a 360 or 720. Hmmm, converting
linear motion into rotary motion.

The A4 was totaled by the adjuster within a couple of hours. Was down
buying a Subaru Outback Wagon within a couple of hours. Bought a stick.
Very tight box. First and second are difficult for me to drive smoothly
in a parking lots lets say. Ergonomics are strange. While workable,
wonder why a Japanese car, of all cars, is laid out in the way it is. A
previously owned Honda and the Audi were good to great. The Outback does
great in deep snow. While the Audi would be a great car for a flat
lander, wouldn't suggest to anyone living in the mountains. Audi would
probably work well if in the Burlington area but would not recommend if
living in the Mad River Valley because of the firth and sixth season:
mud. The Outbacks have lots of ground clearance. As I found out, the
Audi had AWD for the handling characteristics on dry road and wasn't
necessarily designed for deep snow and/or mud.

I've had the Outback for two years now and a satisfied customer. In
retrospect, I would have bought the smaller version of the Outback, the
WRX perhaps. I don't need the space, would like better mileage, but to
need the higher ground clearance and AWD. An annoyance is the wind noise
from the front doors. The doors do not have window frames so they seal
against the rubber seals on the car body. Frequently takes me a couple
of attempts to get a good seal. Frequently once I get that seal, it
shakes loose within 30 miles. Have found that if I lower the rear
windows, seal the front windows, and then bring up the back windows, I
get a good seal. Until the next time I get out of the car.

Briefly considered the Forester when looking at the Outback. While on
the same frame as the Outback and does have more interior room, the
legroom is shorter. If I had small children and needed easy access to
the back seat, would go with the Forester. Once the kids were out of kid
seats, would be back in an Outback.

Of course your mileage may vary. Pun intended? :-)

~twm3
Waiting for the snow. Mornings are consistently below freezing. Early
afternoons are consistently around 70. One storm is coming in later this
week but isn't supposed to be south of the Oregon border. :-( :-( The
mountains around here look so much better with white on them.