Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  October 2003, Week 4

MEDLIB-L October 2003, Week 4

SUMMARY-Scanner Policy and Thoughts

"Creazzo, Jeannine" <[log in to unmask]>

Creazzo, Jeannine

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:16:41 -0400

Hi,

Thanks again to all that responded to my request earlier this month for
examples of scanner policies and thoughts on scanners.

Below is the summary.

Jeannine
 --------------------------------------
Jeannine Creazzo, MLIS
Manager, Library Services
Saint Peter's University Hospital
254 Easton Avenue
New Brunswick, N.J. 08901-1703
p: 732-745-6647
f:  732-937-6091
e: [log in to unmask]
http://www.stpeterslibrary.com

Our color desktop scanner is out where it can be seen and used by
patrons/customers.  We also use it to scan and print or email color pages.
We have not problem with heavy "public" use.

Be sure to put a copyright notice on it just like the one on your copier(s).

Our library is open to the public, but we do not let the public or
patients/family members use the fax.  It is located in our staff room and is
for staff only. However, I have made exceptions occasionally, in cases of
emergency.

I originally had the only scanner in my office and when patrons wanted to
use it I had to do it for them.  Occasionally this meant scanning pictures
of the grandkids.  We now have another scanner for patron use out in the
library and the directions are so easy that people don't need much help with
it.  The great thing about that is that if they need to scan for a
PowerPoint they can put it right into their program or they can save it to a
networked drive and retrieve it back in their offices.  When it was in my
office it was always quicker for me to do it for them since I wanted my
office back

When we had only a staff scanner people finally got wind of it and we were
constantly fielding requests to use it.  We finally bought one to place with
one of our library public PCs (it's chained down).  It is self-serve, though
users can make an appointment with library staff for a brief in-service.
Printed directions are placed on the scanner, along with the copyright
disclaimer and the note that this is intended for hospital business.  It's a
hot item.

Our scanner sits out front, but we have never been asked for public use or
use by another department. We have been asked a couple of times by
physicians for copies of articles in color.  We have scanned them in and
printed them off at our color printer.

Our scanner is in our office area and is locked when we are not here.   The
library can be accessed 24 hours a day with card readers but not the office.
Usually,  the general hospital public does not know how to use your scanner
so anything they need to do you would have to help them with.   We let
others use our scanner but only as supervised by us and only when we are not
using it ourselves to produce PDF's  We also have a media services person
who will make jpegs and aid in media preparations for presentations so we
can always refer those wanting to use our scanner to him.   We do not leave
it in plain sight as we have no idea what others might do to it and it is
vital to our own library function.   Many departments in the hospital also
have scanners.   Ours is one of the Fujitsus and most departments have only
your $200 HP but for their purposes the cheap scanners work.  For making
PDF s we needed a fast scanner.  For 6 years or so we had an HP cheap
scanner.  We would do JPEGs for presentations but we would not try to send
articles even though that computer had an older version of Ariel on it.
The scanner was way too slow and everything to do with it was too labor
intensive.   Now that we have this fast scanner and a new computer we are
sending articles digitally like crazy

We keep our scanner out for public use.  No problems here...but we do have a
well-behaved staff!  People are usually using it to import images into Power
Point and other documents.  It has really had not been a problem...except
that we often have to give mini-lessons on how to use the scanner and
explain how to shrink the size of image files to make them fit on a single
diskette, etc.

We have a scanner in the public area. Several challenges exist. Yahoo and
hotmail accounts can't receive library documents such as PDF based articles
as they don't have enough room for the files. Sometimes the file never
arrives. It takes time to train users to use. Early adapters of technology
seem to like it.
Also great for committee work where a signature or completed document is
required

I'm a solo librarian in a small hospital with limited access, so our
institutions will vary, but this will be an incredible time drain for you.

My experience is that you will spend a great deal of time teaching people
how to use the software.  Even staff you taught recently will need to be
re-taught when they next use the scanner.  I have easy to use software with
elaborate step-by-step instructions on how to use it next to the computer
and people still want me to stand next to them while they walk through the
steps.

It will earn you great good will and boost your user statistics, but it will
swallow a lot of time.

Be sure to write elaborate step-by-step instructions on how to make JEPG
files and attach them to Hot Mail email messages, as that will be 90% of the
usage.

We've had a scanner for a while now and found that because it doesn't use
any of OUR paper supply it's not a bad idea to let others use it. Therefore,
we offer it as a service to other departments that want to send PDF
documents.

We have a scanner (HP Scan Jet 5200C) which is attached to one of our 4
internet computers in the "public" (non-staff) area of our hospital library.
We do not use it for scanning documents for ILL.  The library staff uses it
occasionally and our library users use it occasionally; we mostly have it as
a convenience to our users.  Most of the time it is used by our residents or
hospital-based medical staff.

Since it is in the staff area, it should be used by staff only. Our scanner
is for use by patrons, with the same restriction as the photocopier:
Library materials (texts, journals) only.