]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  October 2003, Week 4

SKIVT-L October 2003, Week 4

Re: land use/FS fees (was... lots of stuff)(now with a long excerpt)

Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:13:26 -0700

Roger wrote:
>I don't have the numbers handy(if pressed for it, I'll look it up), but I
>do know that we taxpayers subsidize the loggers.  The reason for this is
>that the govt. pays the cost of building the forest roads that are needed
>to haul the trees out.  The cost of these roads is not included in the
>income/expense reports of lumber deals, so the deals look profitable when
>the really aren't.

I was going to jump in with the comment that this is pittance compared to
the subsidies that mining gets, but Roger beat me to it later in the post:

>We can also use the land and say we already payed the fee with our taxes
>that subsidized the industries that are getting off dirt-cheap(Go ahead and
>look up the cost of mining on federal land to see what I mean.)

The BS surrounding mining is a particular hot button issue for me. After
all, there's a reason we call it the Bureau of Livestock and Mining. So as
we wait for snow, here's an excerpt from "

Take the Rich Off Welfare",

by Mark Zepezauer and Arthur Naiman,

Odonian Press, 1996. Although written 8 years ago, the situation and laws
haven't changed.

Mining Subsidies: $3.5 billion a year

Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt was visibly angry. He was about to sign
away federal land containing $68 million in gold for a total price of $540,
but he had no choice. The best he could do was hold a news conference that
featured a giant gift-wrapped box, and call the deal "a massive rip-off of
the taxpayers."

Babbitt's hands were tied by a law that had been passed 123 years earlier,
in the ultra-corrupt administration of Ulysses S. Grant. Called the Mining
Law of 1872, it was originally designed to encourage settlement of the West.

The Law of '72 allows anyone-including foreign corporations-to search for
minerals on public lands and, when they find them, to "patent" the mineral
rights at the 1872 price- which is never more than $5 an acre! (Patenting
means the company gets to use the land as long as it's mining it.) More
than 3.2 million acres-an area almost the size of Connecticut-have been
given away at these ridiculous prices.

A Canadian mining company called American Barrick is in the process of
extracting more than $10 billion in gold-$83 3/4 billion so far-from land
in Nevada it paid $5,190 for. The Chevron and Manville corporations hope to
lay their hands on about $4 billion worth of platinum and palladium; to
patent the Montana acre where the minerals are found, they'll pay about
$10,000.

Royalties? We don't pay no stinkin' royalties, Since 1872, about $245
billion worth of minerals have been mined from public lands. And how much
has our government collected in royalties? Absolutely nothing. Royalties
aren't mentioned in the Law of '72, nor in any mining law since.

If a conservative 8% royalty rate had been charged on that $245 billion,
we'd be almost $20 billion richer. And at that same 8% rate, the $33/4
billion in minerals that are currently being pulled out of public lands
each year would earn the Treasury about $300 million a year.

A moratorium on mining claims has been declared while Congress tries to
decide what to do about the Law of '72 (it's survived many challenges
before, but maybe this time we'll be able to drive a golden stake through
its heart). Of the approximately $34 billion in proven mineral reserves
still left on public lands, 46% were in the process of being claimed when
the moratorium went into effect.

But wait-there's more

The worst thing about the Law of '72 is that it doesn't require companies
to clean up after themselves when they're done mining and return the
patented land. Right now we're looking at cleanup costs of $32 to $72
billion for abandoned mines on public lands. Let's split the difference and
say the cleanup costs $52 billion. If the cleanup takes twenty years, that
will amount to $2.6 billion a year.

As if the Law of '72 weren't enough, mining companies enjoy a number of
other tax write-offs. The reclamation deduction allows them to begin
deducting the eventual closing costs of a mine as soon as it's opened,
instead of when those costs actually occur. Needless to say, there's no
requirement that the money the reclamation deduction saves the mining
companies be set aside in a trust fund for the eventual reclamation of the
mine. Eliminating this deduction would earn the Treasury about $40 million
a year.

Mining companies can deduct 85% of the projected costs of exploring for
certain minerals (finding the site, determining the quantity and quality of
the minerals on it, and digging of shafts and tunnels) in the first year of
mining, rather than over the life of the mine. And they can treat the sale
of coal and iron as capital gains rather than as ordinary income.

These two tax loopholes cost us $135 million a year, but since they're
already included in the totals for the accelerated depreciation and capital
gains chapters, we won't count them again here.

The percentage depletion allowance

Finally, there's the percentage depletion allowance, another ancient law
that's still on the books. It lets mining companies take a set percentage
of the gross income they derive from a mine off their taxable incomes, and
continue to do that for as long as that mine is producing (Presumably this
compensates them for the fact that they're depleting their source of income
by mining it. Or did you think that the money they make selling the
minerals was supposed to do that?)

The percentage depletion allowance varies depending on what's being mined;
it ranges from 10% for clay, sand and gravel to 22% for uranium, sulphur
and lead. (Note that some of the most toxic substances have the highest
allowances.)

Just as with its twin, the oil depletion allowance, this tax break can end
up being worth many times what it cost to dig the mine. When mining
companies end up making more money from a tax write-off than they've
invested in the mine, that means we've invested more in their mine than
they have. Eliminating this allowance would save us $560 million a year.

Let's add things up. Royalty-free mining runs $300 million a year. Not
requiring miners to clean up after themselves costs about $2.6 billion a
year. The reclamation deduction runs $40 million a year and the percentage
depletion allowance $560 million. That comes to a total of $3.5 billion a year.

-marc
Poultry is like meat, except when you cook it rare. Then it's like
bird-flavored Jell-O.
                            -P.J. O'Rourke

www.mchrusch.com
Direct link to my weblog page: