SKIVT-L November 2003, Week 2

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 11NOV03

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:00:21 -0500

It's funny, but many years, my first day of skiing just sort of sneaks up on
me.  Whether it's waiting for Killington to blow the whistle and finally
open the runs, or the surprise snowstorm that hits the mountains in October.
  This year, circumstances came together again, rather suddenly, to get me
out on the slopes.  Much like last year, we got a big October cold spell in
Western Montana, where low temperatures dipped down to the single digits
even in the valley for many days.  We also got a touch of snow (~1/2 inch)
which actually hung around on the ground for a change due to the cold
temperatures.  After a bit of a lull, the next storm system came in this
week, and it was enough to convince me to get out on the skis.

When I headed into work on Tuesday, I checked the SNOTEL report for Saddle
Mountain up at Lost Trail Pass, and found that the snow depth had jumped
about 10 inches overnight.  The 9:00 A.M. report had the snow up to 16.3
inches, and based on the heavy rain that was coming down in the valley, it
was still increasing.  I was happy to see this, figuring we’d get off to a
much better start than we did last year (Lost Trail didn’t open until
Christmas) but I wanted to get some work done in the lab and forgot about it
for a bit.  Sometime between 1:00 and 2:00 P.M., I headed home to grab
lunch, and as it continued to pour outside, an all too familiar feeling came
over me.  I felt like I should go skiing.  E and I had just trimmed our new
skins for the CMH fat skis over the weekend, and the skis were just sitting
there at the door doing nothing.  The kicker on the deal was that it was
technically a holiday (Veteran’s Day) which I have off, so I decided to make
a little use of it.  As I loaded up the car, some snow began to mix in with
the pouring rain; this had to be an omen.

The snow mixed in and out in Hamilton (3,560’) and the temperature was 40 F.
  However, by the time I crested a hill south of town (~3,700’) the
temperature had dropped to 37 F, and the mixture changed over to all snow.
This snow was coming down really heavily, and by the time I reached the town
of Darby, I pulled over into a gas station and swapped out the summer wiper
blades for the winter ones.  I could see the snow already building up in the
holes of the summer blades, and I didn’t want to take any chances as I got
further down the road.  It took just a couple of minutes to change the
blades, but the snow was coming down so hard that my hands were soaked and
frozen by the time I was done.  I’m sure this is the kind of stuff that
makes most people hate winter, but for me, the joy of winter more than
outweighs these sorts of minor inconveniences.

The snow fell heavily for about another 15 minutes, but buy the time I
approached the pass, it had let up, and I could actually see some holes of
blue sky.  This was surprising, but I knew snow had fallen up there
according to the SNOTEL.  When I hit the top of the pass (7,000’) no snow
was falling, but the snowbanks were a few feet high and I could tell that a
lot had come down.  I could see that the road into the Lost Trail parking
lot had been plowed to some degree, but there was a 2-foot snowbank blocking
the entrance.  I got out and confirmed that the road itself had about 3-4
inches of new snow since the last plowing, and then decided to blast through
the bank and head up.  The Forester had no problem (I bet the blasting of
the snowbank would have been cool on video) getting through and up the road,
and I even had to blast through a second larger bank to get all the way to
the lot.  Once there, I found that the lot was nicely plowed, but a sign
indicated that part of the lot was closed to use.  A guy was running a big
front loader, working on plowing the lot in my area, so I asked him where I
could park that would be out of his way.  He didn’t seem to keen on my being
there, and said that they’d be all over the place so I should park back down
by the highway.  This would add an extra 20-30 minutes onto my hike, and
parking down on the highway wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do with all the
snow plows clearing the pass, but it seemed my only option.

After a few minutes of searching, I found what would hopefully be a safe
location where I wouldn’t get plowed in, and parked it.  My skins were
already set on my skis, so I just got my gear on and went.  Now that I was
walking, I could get a good feel for the snow depth.  There were about two
feet of snow by the road, and as I headed into the trees, it dropped to
around 1 foot.  There wasn’t much in the way of base, but I wasn’t hitting
any rocks or other debris, so I continued on.  The skinning was easy,
although glide was non-existent.  I’m not sure if this is a function of
full-width fat skins, or deep powder.  Either way, there was certainly no
slippage as I got on some steeper terrain.  The scariest part of the hike
was when I had to head up a steep embankment that made up the edge of the
parking lot.  I would occasionally hear the “whoomph” sound of settling snow
underfoot, and even though I was basically on the edge of a parking lot with
only 50 feet of slope, it still sent a chill up my spine.  Fortunately I
wasn’t going to be going anywhere near avalanche terrain today.

Once I’d reached the base lodge, I spotted some tracks heading up one of the
green trails, and was greatly relieved.  The snow wasn’t all that heavy, but
breaking trail through two feet of powder had been a chore.  My pace
quickened once I got on top of the old tracks (even though they were
footprints) but the light of day was starting to fade.  I made it up to the
last pitch of South Face by around 5:00 P.M., and had little choice but to
head down due to the oncoming darkness.  I had heard horror stories about
ripping off fat skins, but they weren’t actually all that bad, and soon I
was back in my skis and ready for my hard earned run.  The pitch of the
slope I was going to ski was actually in the range of single black, which I
hoped would be enough pitch to keep going in the deep snow.  I started out
before the pitch steepened and all my skis wanted to do was submarine.  I
really had to sit back to get above the snow, and I was still at a crawl.
Only in the very steepest part of the pitch did I manage to squiggle out a
few turns.  It was nice, but a lot of work.  I knew my turns were done when
I neared the bottom, my skis tilted forward a bit, and I found myself stuck
in snow up to my waist.  Oh well, even if the turns weren’t the best, I got
to get out on the snow and got a good workout from the hike.  Certainly my
deepest first day ever, although far from my best first day turns.  But it
sure beat going to the gym for the day. ;)

Although there were a few rolls, my traverse back to the car was generally
downhill, and with the skins off, my skis felt like they were freshly waxed.
  Within a few minutes I was back at the car, happy to see that it had not
been plowed in or towed away.  It was now basically dark, and the only
action was that of a delivery truck that was trying to drive up to the Lost
Trail parking lot and got stuck.  As I packed up, I witnessed the driver
struggling, but getting nowhere.  Finally, one of the snow plow operators
pulled him out.  I’m not sure why a delivery would be going on at that time
of the night at a closed area, but at least he got out OK.  So, another
first day of skiing is in the books, and hopefully many more will be on the
way.  If the base at Lost Trail keeps building up, we should be able to open
much earlier than last year.

I got a few pictures from the outing which can be found at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2003/11NOV03.html

J.Spin