]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  December 2003, Week 1

SKIVT-L December 2003, Week 1

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT, 06DEC03 (Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Dec 2003 02:29:00 -0500

Lost Trail Powder Mountain 06DEC03

Lost Trail hasnít opened yet, although this is due to their typical
logistics problems as opposed to lack of snow.  At last report, there were
38 inches at the summit, and 30 inches at the base.  Unfortunately, they are
having problems with their well, so the planned opening for this weekend had
to be postponed.  Actually though, I was hoping they wouldnít open so E and
Tyler and I could go up for an easy backcountry day.  We tried to take Tyler
up for a ski day a couple weeks ago, but the temperature was only 17
degrees, which was too cold to have him outside if he wasnít going to be
active.  We also learned that his outdoor clothing setup needed some work,
so E got him a nice snowsuit from REI, which along with his new boots would
create a relatively nice setup for a 10-month old.

We havenít really had any huge snowstorms in the past couple of weeks, but a
train of storms from the Pacific have been giving us a few inches each day.
Itís actually been nice to have so much weather, as opposed to the boring
stretches of clear days that seem to happen here more than back in New
England.  I checked on the Lost Trail conditions by using the link to the
Saddle Mountain SNOTEL website.  Its automated reports come from a station
near the Saddle Mountain expansion area at 7,900í, but they give you an idea
of what is going on at the pass.  The SNOTELís latest report at 10:00 MST
indicated that there was an inch of new snow, and the temperature was 32.2
degrees.  Although this meant that the snow level was pretty high, we were
psyched because it meant relatively warm temperatures for Tyler.

It was near 50 degrees and raining in town (3,560í) so I was concerned about
just how wet (or liquid even) the precipitation was going to be up at the
pass (7,000í).  Driving up the pass however, we saw snow accumulating on the
trees at around 6,500í, and at that point the rain quickly changed over to
snow.  This was great news, since it meant that although the snow at the ski
area wouldnít be too light, at least it wasnít being ruined by any rain.
The temperature at the base was a few degrees above freezing, but it was
snowing heavily and looked very wintry.

There were a number of other people at the base area enjoying the skiing,
and we could hear some excited whoops and hollers from the slopes above that
were hidden in the falling snow.  We let Tyler hang out in the warm car
while we prepped the skis and other equipment, and then we got him suited up
and put in the carrier.  We had tested his new outerwear setup at home, so
getting the last of his clothes on went smoothly.  I got the job of carrying
Tyler in his child carrier, which meant that Iíd have an extra 30 pounds or
so on my back, but that meant E got the job of breaking trail.  The lower
slopes near the base area were well packed either due to grooming or skiers,
so the skinning was easy.  Some riders had set up a jump, which provided
added amusement.  After the first hundred vertical or so, we got to the top
of the first shelf and into the powder.  We had a bit of a debate about our
route, but eventually decided to head straight up South Face.  Even though
weíd have to skin up the steep center portion, which was around 30 degrees,
the plan was to ease it out with some switchbacks.  E followed a previous
skierís downhill tracks until she got to the steep section and had to begin
making the longer switchbacks in deeper snow.  I had a relatively easy ride
behind her, and was feeling great despite the extra weight.  Tyler would
yell at me whenever I stopped, so it was good motivation to keep moving.  I
even took over at breaking trail for a bit so E could see how easy the
skinning was in pre-made tracks.  Generally there were 6-12 inches of powder
to break through, and since it had settled, it was much easier work than
trudging through the 2 feet of unsettled fluff Iíd encountered on Veteranís
Day.

After a few tribulations in the switchbacks, we gained the top, about 800
feet of vertical.  Tyler had fallen asleep as we neared the top, and his
head was now hanging out the side of his carrier like a rag dollís.  He
continued to sleep while we switched from skin mode to ski mode, oblivious
to everything that was going on.  During the 10 minutes or so that we were
at the top, two young snowboarders got two runs down South Face; the
advantage of getting hauled up by snowmobile.  Of course there were plenty
of fresh tracks to go around, so we didnít mind.  Heck, I wouldnít say no to
some snowmobile-served runs, although I was happy Iíd got my workout in for
the day by doing the hike.

Once we got going, the skiing was really sweet.  Although it certainly
wasnít face shot snow, it was nice powder and definitely worth the hike.  I
skied the first pitch, which was an intermediate slope, but I didnít want to
risk skiing hard on the 30-degree section with Tyler, so I traversed
cautiously on that pitch.  Tyler woke up as soon as I started to ski, and I
could hear him making some excited noises as the wind blew in his face.
This was the first time Iíd made real turns with Tyler on my back, and it
took a bit of getting used to the difference in balance.  I wasnít really
worried about a fall in the soft powder, but I still took it easy.
Eventually it was just a matter of skiing normally, but being conscious of
my cargo and not getting in the back seat.  E had some great turns as well,
and we each alternated getting video and still shots of the run.  The snow
had stopped during our hike, and the clouds had settled down into the pass,
so we actually had great visibility during our run.  For the last hundred
vertical or so, the snow got a bit funky, probably due to a slight increase
in temperature, but none if it was the kind of gunk that was difficult to
ski.

Some riders had set up a rail at the base and they were grinding on it.
Later, in the parking lot, we saw that this rail setup (about 15 feet long
or so) was actually carried on the top of their car.  I just thought that
was really cool; what dedication.  Overall, E and I were very happy with the
result of Tylerís first powder skiing outing.  There are a lot of logistics
to work out with this sort of thing, and we were surprised that everything
went so smoothly.  I guess it made up for last time when we came up to the
pass and didnít even get to ski.

The rest of the day we enjoyed watching the Weather Channelís coverage of
the big storm back east.  The reports weíve been seeing from skiers are
great, although it still cracks me up that people are blown away by two feet
of light snow in Vermont.  After growing up and living in Vermont most of my
life, Iíve found that most seasons, storms of 1-2 feet will happen several
or more times a year; you just have to be there.  This is more than many
places out west ever see.  So, actually what many folks think of as a
ďwestern-type powder dayĒ, is actually a Vermont (or other places in the
northeast)-type powder day, it just turns out that sometimes they get them
out west too. ;)

To see the pictures that go with this report, go to:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2003/06DEC03.html

J.Spin