SKIVT-L December 2003, Week 3

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 14DEC03

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:03:39 -0500

My plan was to ski only one day this weekend so I could get some work done,
but I wanted to pick the best day of the two with regard to powder.  From
the forecast, it looked like Sunday would be the day, with 12-20 inches
predicted for the Clearwater and Bitterroot Mountains.  It meant I'd miss
the chance to ski with Derek or board with Andy on Saturday, but other
factors came into play to make Sunday the way to go.  The report for
Saturday morning was 3 inches new, and Derek reported that it continued to
dump all day.  Sunday we awoke to 11 new inches at the ski area, and it was
nice to see things had worked out like the forecast predicted.

Since E had to miss a number of days last season due to the birth of Tyler,
and will also likely miss part of this year's ski trip out to central
Montana, she's got well deserved dibs on first tracks for the foreseeable
future.  Once we got to Lost Trail, I didn't want to wait in line to take
care of my season's pass formalities, so I went inside and they took care of
things without getting my picture taken.  I handed the ticket off to E, and
out she went.  I'll try to let her give an account of the runs she took, but
I do know that she was awe struck as she stood atop an untracked Moose
Creek, wondering where everyone was.  I do recall explicatives like
"perfect" and "amazing" being somewhere in her description.  I hung out with
Tyler in the lodge, and we had fun walking around, hanging out by the fire,
and eating some free crackers from another dad and his son (well, HE ate the
gift food, I just sort of sat and watched).

Sometime around 11:30 or so, it was my turn to ski.  On my first lift ride
up Chair 1, I got to watch some guys doing great jumps off a big rock on
North Face.  I saw a couple of back flips by skiers, and a nice barrel roll
by a snowboarder.  I guess Lost Trail has no problem with inverts, and I was
very tempted to go and try a back flip on what looked like a perfect jump
for it.  Still, I had no helmet, and a packed out landing zone was probably
not a great place for my first attempt.  So, I headed down South Face, and
cut underneath to watch a few more jumps.  The snow was cut up powder by
this point on South Face, but super soft on the steep terrain.  The jumping
had moved on to other locales, so I finished off my run in some of the
powder in the trees under the chair, and planned my next move.

For my second run, it was the standard entrance to Moose Creek, far right.
This area usually avoids tracks for quite a while and it didn't disappoint.
I got a taste of what E had skied, a light coating of powder (~ 6 inches or
so) above more dense snow that must have fallen at slightly warmer
temperatures.  I then headed to Moose Creek again, this time heading through
the woods under the Bitterroot National Forest sign at the summit.  This
entrance offers a good stretch of low angle trees that are almost always
untracked, and then dumps you into the upper reaches of Moose Creek after
passing over a forest road.  The only people you generally see here are guys
building kickers out of the way in fresh snow, and that's what I saw.  Just
two snowboarders building a jump, leaving me with a big field of powder.  I
cut the corners of the traverses on my way back to Chair 2, and got more
great powder shots along the way.  I suspected the right side of Bruce's
Meadow would still be untracked, and I discovered it was on my next run.  As
usual, lots of snow had settled in there, and I got to launch one of my
favorite airs into the powder.  I finished the run off by hitting the right
side of lightning, catching the sections of untouched powder that remained
in and out of the trees.

Having gotten a pretty good dose of powder, it was time for some steeps.  I
wasn't sure if the steep stuff would be open since it was only the first
weekend of operation, but with a base of something like 55 inches, even the
steeps were well covered and ready to go.  I took the entrance to Slides,
and got mixed up as I usually do on the first few times finding the top of
the run.  Eventually I traversed my way in, and found that the snow was
superb.  One of these days though, I want to catch one of these steep runs
with fresh powder, they must be amazing.  I traversed over to Femur Ridge
and found a number of folks ready to go off the cliff band.  A couple of
crazy telemark skiers went off first.  I say crazy because they went off
without even checking out the landing zone (we had a spotter, but they
didn't check things out with regard to what THEY were in for).  They were
also pretty crazy because they went right off the highest point at speed.
At speed it's probably a 15 foot drop with 20 feet of distance, onto a
pretty steep slope.  Needless to say, they were haulin' when they landed,
far beyond the speed at which they seemed to be in control.  The first guy
crashed after straight lining for maybe 50 yards and trying to hold on, the
second guy basically crashed right on his landing.  They were both pretty
horrendous crashes, but the guys were OK.  Still, I'm amazed at what some
people will dive into.  It's one thing to crash in a big landing of powder,
but another to go down on a steep, somewhat packed surface.  The third guy
had a helmet on, and looked pretty serious.  He went off, and it looked like
he was going for a 720.  He was rotating really quickly, but landed in a 540
position and went down pretty hard.  I wasn't until then that I realized HE
was on telemark skis as well.  Those crazy telemarkers!  Once everyone was
reassembled I hit the jump, although with nowhere near the speed those guys
had done.  But, at least I landed it with some control.  I still had to
scrub off some speed, but overall I was happy with the landing.

I decided to go for one more run and hit another one of the steep trails,
Outlaw.  Once again I navigated incorrectly to find the entrance and had to
traverse around a bit.  Once I found it though, it was in good shape.  Last
year, the whole thing slid with a couple feet of snow on it, going right
down to the ground.  I finished off the run with another jump off Femur
Ridge and decided to call it a day.  It was certainly a great first day out
for the lift-serviced season.  Snow remains in the forecast for the next
week, although it looks like accumulations might be slowing down a bit
compared the snowfall we've had for the past few weeks.

J.Spin