]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VBBA Home

VBBA  January 2004

VBBA January 2004

Vermont BBA Casual Observation Form now online

Mark Wimer <[log in to unmask]>

Mark Wimer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:47:53 -0500

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Hello all,

Since Rosalind Renfrew is out of the country, I am writing this to notify
you that the Casual Obseration entry form is now available (as
"Incidentals") at the top of the menu on the Breeding Bird Atlas Manager
data entry site for your atlas project.

Before proceeding to enter, note that there are some differences between
incidental and field card entry.  First, there is no "hold" area for your
casual observations that allow you to come back and edit them. A
coordinator may still review and edit them after you "finish" them, but
you, as the observer, may not re-open them. Second, the incidental form
offers to let you hand-type in a select list of species rather than scroll
through the longer list for a block if you wish. Finally, the reporting for
incidentals is not yet mature so you will not appear to get credit for them
right away - but they're in the system and in the future you will be able
to review a list of your submissions, incidentals and otherwise.

If possible I would like county coordinators to try to enter things right
away if they have them. However, as with field cards, anyone may enter
their own sightings as long as they are official observers. If you start to
encounter errors, you may let me know via email. My preference in this
event is that you make a second attempt, and if  the error still occurs,
send them to a county coordinator (or Rosalind after Feb 15th) to forward
along to me, so they can collate them if need be (I hope not!).

Other known issues: Great Horned Owls or other species that are "safe" in
December may show erroneous safe date warnings. This will not affect your
entries.

Happy Atlasing!

Mark Wimer
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
12100 Beech Forest Road, Laurel, MD  20708-4038
Ph: 301-497-5596 Email: [log in to unmask]