SKIVT-L January 2004, Week 1

Sugarbush, VT 26DEC03 (Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:52:36 -0500

This report is a bit late because I had to get back to Montana and collect
all the digital photos for the web page, but now it’s complete.  Pictures
are at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2003/26DEC03.html

Although we had some potential plans to meet up with SkiVT-L members for
turns in the Mad River Valley, it would have been difficult since we were
already a group of five, and we were waiting for the snowfall totals before
we chose our destination.  Sugarbush was our first choice due to the amount
of terrain and expected lack of crowds.  However, if the storm fizzled for
the ‘bush, we were open to going somewhere like Jay Peak.  When we checked
the snow report early in the morning on the 26th, Sugarbush was already
reporting 6-8 inches, and since Mad River Glen reported 10-12 inches a
little while later, we figured that was a pretty good update for the ‘bush.
Jay Peak had only indicated 12 inches in their morning report, so our
decision was made for Sugarbush.

We arrived at around 9:00 A.M., and were surprised to find that we were in
only the second bay of parking, just behind the ones for employees and valet
service.  Around the base area, it certainly didn’t seem like a holiday
week.  The ski racks were hardly filled and there were no ticket lines.
Chris got us four discount tickets, and we hopped on the Super Bravo chair.
The wind was howling, and we were happy that the lifts were still running.

For a first run we decided on Snowball/Spring Fling, and I think most of the
group had picked it without any discussion.  We were certainly on the same
wavelength.  As we traversed over to Snowball from the lift, E and I found
that our skis were sticking horribly compared to everyone else’s.  It seemed
that we still had some moisture left from our run on Mt. Philo that had
frozen onto the bases.  We eventually got over to Snowball and found that
the powder had been worked heavily by the wind.  In a few windswept places,
the snow was scoured down to the old crusty material below, but in general
we were on top of plenty of fresh.  It was tough to get an estimate of
exactly how much new snow had fallen at this point, but later estimates out
of the winds suggested it was around a foot.  Reaching Spring Fling, we
found that the left edge of the trail along the trees was untracked.  The
skiing was a little tricky since there were some huge drifts of snow,
sometimes you would be skiing along in the powder and then, WHAM, you’d run
into a waist high drift that would slow you down for a bit.  There were also
a few scoured areas here as well, and this forced you to stay on your toes
and anticipate the changes in the surface.

We knew that Heaven’s Gate wasn’t open, but we were curious if Castlerock
could be opened with the amount of wind that the higher elevations were
getting.  To find out, we headed to Downspout, and surprisingly, unlike its
usual crowded, skating rink state, it was deserted.  This may have been due
to the fact that there was nothing much to access without Heaven’s Gate
open, but whatever the case, we were able to carve out some huge arcs in the
new powder.  A check of Castlerock indicated that it was still closed, so we
decided to check out the Gate House area.  We found good snow along the left
side of Waterfall, and got some still pictures.  Then someone said, “Hey,
are these woods any good?” to which I replied, “Oh yeah, they should be
great with this amount of snow!”  Then we all disappeared into the untracked
Hot Shot woods.  The base was certainly deep enough to cover up most of the
underbrush because my line took me all the way to the bottom before I knew
what hit me.  In a couple of moments, I saw James make his way down a line
to my left, but no Chris or E.  After a few minutes of waiting, I called
Chris on the radio and he indicated that E had caught something in the snow
and run into a tree with her head.  That was a shocking thing to hear, but
it was quickly followed up with a “She’s fine”.  I guess she had fallen into
a tree with her head, but very lightly, and the delay was due to
reassembling her gear.  Thankfully Chris and E got to ski the rest of the
trees and we all got out fine.

E and I were still sticking to the snow with our skis, so we decided to pick
up some wax at the ski shop to eliminate the problem.  Sticks of all-purpose
wax were available for a dollar, and after a quick application, it worked
like a charm.  We headed over for another run on the Super Bravo, but found
that it was on wind hold and had to hike up to the Valley House Chair.  We
decided on Snowball again, along with some of the Snowball Woods.  However,
only James and I hit the entrance into the trees, so we had to catch up with
the rest of the crew below.  The powder in the Snowball woods was a bit
heavy, but coverage was good.  We then opted for “Little Boy” trail, which
was still untracked, so we worked on matching turns and farming the snow.

With the upper lifts still on wind hold, we decided that lunch might be a
good option at this point.  Since it was a holiday for us, and probably my
only Vermont lift-served day of the season, we decided to hit the Mushroom
House for food.  After about two decades of visiting Sugarbush, I’ve still
never eaten there, despite the fact that I’ve always thought that the shape
of the building was so neat.  We figured that with the regular prices of ski
area food being what they are, prices for food with table service would be
outrageous.  Surprisingly, prices were basically the same as those in the
regular lodge, and we got some really good food.  Big burgers with toppings
and a side were about $7, and Dave got the special, which was basically a
huge piece of steak in the form of a sandwich, for around $10.  James
laughed about the price, since he’d paid $7.50 last week in the Sugarbush
lodge for an order of fries and a drink.  Someone from the group pointed out
that one of the greatest benefits of the meal was that we didn’t have to
struggle to find a place to sit in the lodge (although we never went in the
lodge so we’re not sure what it was like).  Only about half the tables at
the Mushroom House had people at them, the atmosphere was very relaxed, and
the service was great.  If what we experienced was the norm, I’d recommend
going there if you’re buying your lunch.  I’m certainly ready to go again
and check it out next time I’m paying for food at the ‘bush.

After lunch, the upper lifts were still closed, so we decided it was time to
traverse for powder.  I guided the group on a traverse behind Allyn’s Lodge,
which set us up for a good line into the trees between Organgrinder and
Ripcord.  I ran a pretty harrowing traverse at times, (mostly for fun) which
was more difficult for those that followed behind and had greater speed once
I’d laid the track.  Once we were in the area between Organgrinder and
Ripcord, some of the group lost my line and dove early into the trees, but I
stayed on my traverse and wound up at a great position on barely-tracked
Ripcord.  A few other people had skied the trail already, leaving some nice
tracks, but I’d managed to get higher than anyone in the past and got to put
the first track down for about a hundred yards.  Below that, the whole group
enjoyed untracked turns almost right down to the bottom of Heaven’s Gate.

After such great, untracked turns, we all wanted more, and I knew I could
build a traverse that would get us to a line even higher than my previous
run.  We came to one of those curious roads in the woods, and while I
started to head through the woods to avoid an uphill traverse, the others
broached the idea of heading up the road to gain some extra vertical.  It
was probably a couple hundred yards with 50-100 feet of vertical, but we
could stay on trail all the way.  So, up we went, and in the end we wound up
at the bottom of Spillsville, with a ton of untracked vertical below us.  My
altimeter was reading 3,125’, so I’m guessing we had about 800’ of vertical
to ski.  We took turns making runs in the fresh powder, and got some still
photos of the experience.

The extra few minutes of hiking were definitely worth it, so we decided to
hit the traverse again.  This time, the traverse was really fast after all
of us had packed it down, and at one point, James was ricocheting off trees
because he was running it so quickly.  Soon after that though, he tangled
with a small evergreen and fell off the traverse head first into the powder.
  He had all of us in stitches as usual.  The rest of the traverse went
smoothly, and to try something different, we headed down Lower Paradise.
The first pitch was just an untracked expanse of powder, sculpted into waves
by the wind.  E really enjoyed this section, as did the rest of us.  The
rest of the trail was excellent as well, although the final steep pitch had
some crazy terrain contours that threw everyone around.  E was zipping along
and took a pretty crazy tumble to entertain the rest of us.

It was after 3:00 and most of us were ready to call it a day, but I
convinced everyone that one more run off the Gate House would be a nice way
to ski right back to the car.  We hit Pushover, and conditions were still
excellent.  The top section had a few bumps, and the rest of the way was
pleasant cruising among the loose snow.  I guess we were pretty lucky though
to catch such a nice powder day on our holiday trip between rain events.  It
wasn’t epic due to the compaction by wind and the fact that it was only one
foot, but it was still a great powder day out with friends.  It would have
been nice to meet up with Marc Guido the next day, especially if they opened
up all the upper mountain lifts, but alas, we had to catch our ride down to
Erica’s family in Massachusetts.

Pictures from the day are available at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2003/26DEC03.html

J.Spin