]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2004, Week 3

SKIVT-L January 2004, Week 3

Stowe 1-19/1-18 wuz Jay NOT! Smuggs 2003-01-19

Bruno deBiasi <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:58:15 -0500

/long report on 1-19 and 1-18 follows/

Riding down the Bruce Trail at 3 Sunday afternoon during a heavy snow
shower, I reflected on our day. Great conditions at Stowe, far better
than Sugarbush the previous day. Light snow fell all day. It was crowded
but lift lines were manageable. Price was only $48 with a Stowe Card
(card free to Connecticut Ski Council club members). We encountered no
ugly wind slab, rather found the woods to be quite pleasant. Many trips
into Angel Food with K and Mr. Rogers. We took the Plaid Man's favored
line to the Chapel woods. We had untracked wind-blown powder turns all
day. Not face shots but knee and chest shots were had and many grins
were seen. Mr. Rogers "got a little forward" on his skis in Angel Food.
A little forward? Head down in snow = "a little forward"? ;-)  I gomered
many times, especially on the traverses - we appreciate riding with a
skier willing to wait for a couple slowboarders. A phine day was had on
Sunday and we looked forward to more of the same Monday. Roger had plans
farther north with the Grand Poobah of all Plaid. I saw no need to pay
more bucks at  Jay when conditions at Mannie were so great.

Up early Monday, I checked the snow reports: Stowe 6", Jay 10-12
marketing dept inches. But the wind forecast was not good. 25-45 mph
from the NW, gusting higher. Well, NW wind can be okay at Stowe - at
least the Quad and Gondola head NW so it's oft possible to keep 'em
turning even in hellacious winds. And turn they did - the quad until a
little before noon, the Gondi all day. Armed with our $48 holiday tix,
we found very few others willing to brave the bitter cold winds in
return for wind-scoured trails. Of course, we had no intention of
spending time on the trails. :-) Mike B made the trip up for the day
from the Mad River Valley. We had a blast!

An early run prior to Mike's arrival yielded deep untracked powder in
the pipeline leading into Goat woods. Face shots. Deep powda - seemed
like more than the reported 6". Cool. Met up with Mike in the Octagon.
Then one more quad ride prior to its shutdown. First run was GoatDive
woods using the Grill entrance. Open woods, untracked powder. Next run
we showed Mike the short private pitch above National, then ducked into
the woods between National and Starr. Took me 200' of sliding on the icy
trail before I could turn to the right into the trees. Yikes. Great
turns once in the trees. Boilerplate ice on the trail (which was roped
off where I fell).

We then traversed over to the Gondola for a much-needed, much warmer
ride up. Then down a groomed Chin Clip to Angel Food. Tasty! Ran across
3 snowboarders at the Bench. Seemed young, no more than 15, maybe as
young as 12, and female. Hard to tell with all the gear on. Saw them on
the descent. Unbelievably smooth riders. Dropping off cliffs, not
falling, ollying over 3 foot fallen trees. They made it look easy. (I
should point out that as windy as it was out in the open and on the
lifts, there was little or no wind in Angel Food heading into the notch.)

We stopped at the Midway Lodge for lunch. It was empty so our experience
was much better than Denis' over the Christmas period. We even learned
from a friendly cashier how to get free soda refills (not the Mtn Corp's
policy however). Our next run we took the woods route left off the top
of Perry Merrill before the nasty hairpin turn, exited back onto PM and
across into the next set of woods being very careful to avoid the
exposed snowmaking pipe which at its highest point was about chest high.
This is an entrance that can be taken with a big jump but not until the
pipe is buried. Anyway the snow in there was tracked up (its basically a
bobsled run) but soft and fun. We crossed a spur of Cliff Trail, then
back into the woods, this time following 3 boarders into a narrow
previously untracked slot thru the trees. On exit onto the Rimrock cross
trail we met up with the boarders who wondered how we knew about their
"private" trail. Other than to follow you guys? We've seen tracks in
there before... Anyway the 3 guys were real friendly and informative and
were heading back out to PM. We were greedy so we dropped back into the
woods, this time into that vast drainage between Nosedive and Perry
Merrill. The well-maintained glade there was very tracked up which was
not so good but at least the path up to the ridge (Hazelton Trail) was
fast. That glade would be great untracked, with the downside being a bit
of a slog up to the ridge. I will return early on the next powder day.
Our final run off the Gondi was Kitchen Wall. K wondered why we did not
follow the higher traverse. Mike pointed out that with the cliff to our
right it would have been difficult to find a line higher up. I guess you
had to be there. Anyhoo, Mike and I had a little in the tank after this
run. Kirsten went in. Up the triple we went, off to scout out the Chapel
Woods. Oops, we hung in a little too long - there's the Toll House lift.
We ended up with a short uphill walk, much preferable to the
alternatives of the slow TH lift or shuttle bus.

A great 2 days at Stowe had to end. We enjoyed the sliding and the
camaraderie of skiers who had patience for our shenanigans. We did not
enjoy the gust of wind that blew apart our Thule roof box at 4 pm Monday
and led to some extended repairs using duct tape as rope and finally
real rope from the hardware store in Waterbury. Box made it home. We'll
see how Thule handles this.

- Bruno

PS Saturday at Sbush was not quite as bad as Jason indicated IMHO

Wesley "I used to ski free at Stowe" wrote about his unfortunate but
scenic drive to Jay and his eventual day at Smuggs:

<snippage of sad tale>