]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  February 2004

SCHOOL-IT February 2004

Re: Windows2000 and hardware setting for all users

Fred Wadlington <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:24:34 -0500

[log in to unmask] writes:
>I use the procedure below as well, but have toyed with the idea of using
>roaming profiles instead.... My only concern is that we have a variety of
>clients (Win98, Win2K, WinXP) and different workstations will also use
>different printers...... In a Windows server environment, does anyone have
>suggestions about how to work that out?

I assume that by Windows server environment, you are implying that you are
using one of these servers as a print server for your network printers.
the Win9x clients have no problem with roaming profiles and network
printers.  Whatever you install on the client, whoever logs in on that box
will be able to use whatever printers are installed on that box.  Not
quite the same with the Win2k,XP clients.  Anyone who logs in on those
boxes will receive just the "local" printers, not the network printers.
Someone earlier suggested creating a local printer for the network
printers by creating a local port.  this would probably work; however, if
you are desiring to utilize the share on the print server, then it won't
work.  The network printers are profile specific.  One way to get around
this is to:
Logon to the box with an administrator acct and install the desired
network printer from the print server.
Then logoff and logon again with another administrator acct..
Go to C:\my documents & setting\"the first adm acct name" and copy the
ntuser.dat file.
Navigate within the doc & setting folder to the default user folder (you
might have to change you view properties to view hidden & system files)
Paste the ntuser.dat file in the default user folder.

Now any user who logs in will receive that network printer as part of
their profile.  The exception being users who have previously logged into
the box and already have a profile created.  You can always go into their
folder in "docs & setting" and replace their ntuser.dat with the one from
the default user.

Potential Clarification:  The above steps do not make all users
administrators.  To do that, they need to be a member of that group.

I admit that this is not the prettiest solution to the problem; however,
with my limited knowledge of Active Directory, I have yet to find any
other wonderful solution.  You could do it through login scripts and batch
files also.  It is something that I hope to resolve sometime in the future
as I delve further into the "wonderful world of Microsoft"!!

I know that this issue has been talked about by others in the past, so
maybe someone else might be further along in this game than I and have
some better ideas.  It doesn't seem that Microsoft had K-12 schools in
mind when they did this.  Active Directory and publishing printers works
great for situations where you have a user who will primarily be logging
into the same computer, but not where users will always be logging into
multiple computers/locations and also where you might not necessarily want
to give them "add printer" capabilities!

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Fred Wadlington, Systems Administrator
Milton Town School District
(802) 893-3215 x114