]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  February 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L February 2004, Week 1

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT, 31JAN04 (Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:04:32 -0500

Our dry spell is becoming a distant memory, with between 3 and 4 feet of new
accumulation since it broke a couple weeks ago.  With Lost Trail picking up
25 inches of new snow since chair 4 closed the previous Sunday, everyone
knew that it was going to be simply outstanding when it reopened.  E was up
at Lost Trail on Friday with her 5th grade class, and reported that a lot of
snow fell during the day.  She said that the snow was a bit heavy, but this
was just what the chair 4 (Saddle Mountain) terrain needed to cover up the
wind scoured areas.  As a bonus, a cold front came through on Friday night
to change the rain over to snow in the valley, and lighten up the snow in
the mountains.  This would hopefully put the icing on the cake for a great
ski day.

I arrived 30 minutes before opening, although it turned out this was hardly
necessary.  Once chair 1 started loading, I high-tailed it over to chair 4
with a few other eager powderhounds, and we had to wait anyway.  Usually I
take a few runs on the main mountain while Lost Trail gets things going on
the chair 4 terrain, but somehow the word got out that chair 4 would
actually open on time.  As it turned out, things went as slowly as usual, so
the whole whopping four of us in the lineup (if you can call four people a
lift lineup) had to wait.  The initial estimate was 15 minutes, but it ended
up being more like 45.  During that time I made the acquaintance of my lift
partner, Todd? (I think), who works for the forest service, and the
telemarker behind us, John, the sports editor for our local paper, the
Ravalli Republic.  After the 45 minutes of waiting, the lineup had finally
ballooned to a dozen or so people, but thatís still a relatively small crew
to cover hundreds of acres of terrain.  At around 10:30, they started
of us in line was one of the lift ops, and she had her radio on listening to
the patrol during our wait.  The word was that Hollywood Bowl was in good
shape (coverage was good, and snow stability was good) so they were going to
open it.  It looked like Saddle Mountain was going to be open wall to wall
for the first time this seasonÖ it was going to be a great day.

We unloaded at the summit, and the four of us got the first tracks down ďThe
SlotĒ.  The snow was excellent, the top six inches being around 5% H2O with
no bottom that I could detect.  My plan was to hit the new trail, Super G,
since they were still finishing the preparation for the Hollywood Bowl area.
  I stopped to take a couple of photos, and Todd headed off with the others
in the direction of Super G.  We had planned to meet back up on the trail,
but I skied the whole thing and never saw Todd.  I figured he must have
jumped off into the woods.  Super G was in great shape though.  They had
groomed a bit in the middle, but much of the trail was untracked.  I caught
some great high-speed powder turns down the steep pitch at the end.  For my
next run, I headed in the general direction of Super G again, but jumped
into some of the trees.  I took it a little easy off trail since I wasnít
sure about the base, but the coverage was excellent and I didnít hit a
thing.

On the next run, I met up with John in the lift line, and we were just in
time to catch the opening of Hollywood Bowl.  From watching the bowl in
previous weeks, I figured the best coverage would be on the skierís right
side, where Iíd seen good snow accumulating, and backcountry skiers laying
tracks.  I caught a great line through bottomless powder, and pulled to a
stop above the three patrollers at the bottom.  They seemed to be enjoying
themselves, especially one patroller whoíd never even been in the bowl
before.  John and I continued on down below the bowl, picking any line we
wanted since it was just the patrollers in front of us.  Things were
generally on par with the opening of Hollywood Bowl last year, although I
think coverage is not quite where it was last year at opening (February 2nd,
2003).  People who came down the left side of the bowl did seem to catch a
few rocks.  A couple more storms are needed to fill in those areas, but now
that snow is down over the ground, hopefully new snow will stick well.

John had to head to work, so I decided something off the Bear Claw Ridge
would be a good way for him to head back on his next run.  We jumped into
the trees off the south side of the ridge, and he was able to get a final
dose of powder on his way to the main base.  I on the other hand, had more
exploring to do off chair 4, so back I went.  This time, I met back up with
Todd, and we decided to head to the left of the bowl to find some totally
untouched lines.  In the next few runs, we scored some amazing shots through
these trees, each time choosing a slightly different route, and finding vast
stretches that hadnít even seen a track (all year).  These runs were by far
my favorites of the day as I got to lay out nice arcs in the widely spaced
trees on steep terrain.  We even discovered a totally new (to us) chute in
the middle of the Elk Basin flats.  We were poking around in an area that
doesnít have much pitch, when suddenly the ground dropped away and we were
in a secret hidden chute.  Iíve certainly got to find that one again when my
friends come out in a couple of weeks.

Iíll have to chalk Saturday up as my best day of the year.  Over two feet of
fresh snow and the opening of the steepest terrain off chair 4 are hard to
beat.  On Sunday, the snow phone reported just a trace of new snow, although
people who went out said that was an error, because there were 6-8 inches of
new powder!  That will certainly help to cover some of the rocks remaining
in the Hollywood Bowl area.  This week has been pretty dry, but hopefully we
can return to a moist pattern soon.  At least we havenít had any more
inversions yet.

A few pictures from the day can be found at:

http://www.JandEprodutions.com/2004/31JAN04.html

J.Spin