SKIVT-L February 2004, Week 2

Mammoth, Jan. 30 - Feb. 1

Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:51:58 -0800

I had business in LA on Jan. 27-29 and again on Feb. 1.  It is an annual
trip.  I also have a good friend out there with a "cabin" at Mammoth.  He
had already been there for a day when I showed up on Thurs. night.  Gregg
hosts a group of kids from his kids school on this weekend every year.  So
there were at least a dozen of us in the large house all getting along
just great and enjoying one another's company.  The young people do the
cooking and cleaning and stay for free.  Gregg broke his fibula the day
after Christmas and got the cast off on Thurs.  Doc said no alpine or tele
skiing for a while.  On Fri. he did a little walking and had to fight some
pain but nothing that worried him.  I went with the kids to the mtn. and
agreed to meet them outside in 5 min. after buying a lift ticket.  It took
40 minutes, the longest wait to buy a ticket that I have ever suffered,
and of course the kids had gone skiing by then.  I never did find them so
I skied alone.  The crowds were apparently due to LA school vacations and
young kids and families comprised most of the crowd.  Once out of the zoo
at this base area, locally known as warming hut #2, I had an excellent
day.  Mammoth never disappoints.  The wind had a chill but the thermometer
was at 40 deg.  As the day wore on the wind became much stronger and
people complained about the "bitter cold" and almost all of them quit.
The upper lifts were placed on wind hold and 80 mph w. higher gusts were
recorded up on the cornice.  The groomed trails became a river of moving
heavy granular snow over a base of hardpack and ice.  It had not snowed
for 2 weeks.  It was easy to avoid the ice and I thought the moving heavy
snow was a lot of fun.  I skied only 1 lift, Canyon Quad = chair 16, for
about 15 runs.  About halfway down right under the lift there was a nice
series of small steep shots through the trees with barely touched powder.
On the map it is called The Acts.  I had it pretty much to myself all day.

On Sat. Gregg was eager to go cross country and I was eager to get a tour
of Mammoth's XC terrain.  ( I had packed my classic woody 215s in the ski
bag in anticipation of this.)  We drove a few miles to the Tamarack Lodge
trail system, which was family owned and operated for many years but is
now part of the Mammoth operation.  We took a gradual ascent of 3 miles up
to Mary Lake, one of a half dozen or so small lakes that collectively give
the town of Mammoth Lakes its name.  The scenery is stunning.  We were
surrounded by high jagged peaks, brilliant sun and a world of white snow
and snow draped conifers.  The magnificence of it cannot be described in
words.  I hope to post some pictures later.  We circled Horsehoe Lake and
Lake George and then returned the way we came.  Gregg put in a good 8
miles on his recovering leg and pronounced it to be his favorite form of
rehab.

On Sun. I went big skiing with Gregg's son West, who is taking a quarter
off from college to work in a ski shop and ski every day.  I knew this
would be good; he is a hot skier and knows the mountain inside out.  The
wind was again very strong and the cornice lifts were closed.  We warmed
up on The Acts, then took Chair 22.  West led us down a beautiful steep
bump run through the trees with deep soft snow, some of it barely touched
despite the 2 week snow drought.  Then it was off to Chair 9 and a long
somewhat intimidating traverse to the Dragon's Tail.  It was now snowing
with very flat light and the travese was icy and rutted.  I know the
feeling of vertigo well, where the ground is moving and you are standing
still, and was on the verge of it a couple of times.  Lots of young skiers
and boarders started out the traverse, dropped in, made 2 or 3 turns,
wiped out and slid all the way to the bottom.  Mammoth has lots of bad
snowboarders.  Eventually the traverse turned to powder and all the
competition disappeared.  There are plenty of trees out there so the
felling of exposure and near vertigo abated.  We skied untracked, knee
deep and occasionally deeper all the way down.  There were other tracks
but they were easily avoided.  The wind was intensifying and our chair had
been scarily buffeted the first time, so we went elsewhere.  Chair 2 is on
of the mountains busiest and serves mostly blue terrain.  But like almost
every chair at Mammoth there is more than immediately meets the eye.
Tucked between blue runs is Roger's Ridge, a 400 foot steep shot that was
a bit blown off for the first 3 turns and beautiful the rest of the way.
Returning to the lift I found a beautiful little wooded gully with a steep
wall.  It had the silkiest powder I found in 3 days and it was just above
the lift and everybody ignored it.  I love Mammoth.  It is 10 times bigger
than any VT ski area but it rewards curiosity and straying from the beaten
path in the same way.  Thanks Gregg, West, and Deb.

A major Pacific storm was moving in and as I rolled out of Mammoth Lakes
at 6 AM on Mon. it had started.  I made it to Bishop (4500 ft.) without
incident, ate a Mickey Ds breakfast and heard that chain restrictions were
going into effect back at Mammoth (8000 ft.)  I covered the 330 miles back
to Pasadena by 11, ready for my afternoon meeting.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/ski_ride/trail_map/

I have been too busy to read or post to the List for 2 weeks and I'm about
to disappear again.  Tomorrow driving to Lake Placid for a midweek
backcountry hut trip in the High Peaks region.  Stay tuned.  Details will
follow.  I have been asked backchannel how W by God VA is doing.  Quite
well thank you after a brief hard niar.

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html