]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  March 2004

SCHOOL-IT March 2004

Re: High School use of Educational Technology

Neil Manders <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:13:40 -0500

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:06:17 -0500, Bill Romond
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Are there others out there who have some thoughts? My inquiry again is:
Bill,
Lauren Baker posted this to the SVTC list and I thought she wouldn't mind
if I passed it along. Not sure it exactly hits your request but it
certainly speaks to a difference from the way it used to be. Hope it helps
nm
Thanks Lauren

This was a posting on a listserv that I thought was interesting... also
check the link at the bottom.
Lauren

Gang--
This was posted on the Abilene High School Dialogue Buzz website. It
was an anonymous post, but VERY powerful.
I felt this was something you might find of use as you share with
educators, parents and stakeholders about 1:1 and the power of the
seamless use of technology. It seems to sum it all up!!

Rae
Let's have a little competition at school and get ready for the future.
I will use a laptop and you will use paper and pencil.  Are you ready?
I will access up-to-date information - you have a textbook that is 5
years old.
I will immediately know when I misspell a word; you have to wait until
it's graded.
I will learn how to care for technology by using it; you will read
about it.
I will see math problems in 3d; you will do the odd problems.
I will create artwork and poetry and share it with the world; you will
share yours with the class.
I will have 24/7 access; you have the entire class period.
I will access the most dynamic information; yours will be printed and
photocopied.
I will communicate with leaders and experts using email; you will wait
for Friday's speaker.
I will select my learning style; you will use the teacher's favorite
learning style.
I will collaborate with my peers from around the world; you will
collaborate with peers in your classroom.
I will take my learning as far as I want; you must wait for the rest
of the class.

---------------------------
Rae Niles, Director of Curriculum and Technology
Sedgwick Public Schools, USD 439
Sedgwick, KS 67135
Phone:  316-772-5783
Fax:  316-772-0274
"If You Give a Kid an iBook"--a one-to-one laptop initiative in Kansas
[ http://ali.apple.com/ali_sites/ali/exhibits/1000418/ ]
http://ali.apple.com/ali_sites/ali/exhibits/1000418/
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink---unless
you salt the hay!  Striving to use technology to "salt the hay" on a
daily basis.