MEDLIB-L March 2004, Week 1

Re: Chat: Medical research story

Elizabeth Burns <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:27:00 -0600

Well stated!!

Elizabeth Burns, MLS
Chief, Library Service
Kansas City VA

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Valerie Rankow [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, March 04, 2004 10:46 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Chat:  Medical research story

Dear Colleagues,

Each time the topic of fee-for-service medical research has been discussed
on MEDLIB-L, (usually in response to inaccurate or poor quality media
coverage), I have remained quiet, mostly because of my role on this
discussion list as volunteer coordinator, and the fine line between an ad
and a message. Please, do not think of me as ListMom, for this message.

I would like to present a different point of view.

I saw the show in question. I was watching the news on NBC with one eye,
when my attention was suddenly drawn full-in by the sight of hands shuffling
PubMed print-outs, and a voice-over commenting on the ability of patients to
find a second opinion. PubMed on national news TV? Whoa!

Just as most people who have posted on MEDLIB-L about this brief NBC
presentation on medical research, I was disappointed - but not by the idea
of patients needing assistance finding medical information.  What I believe
was unfortunate in the NBC presentation, is that the only medical research
firm discussed, was run by an M.D., but there was little or no mention of
other independent trained information professionals and medical librarians,
who also provide this service.

I was also disappointed that there was no discussion of free, high-quality
online information for patients, like MedlinePlus, AskNoah, the National
Cancer Institute, and countless other lists of websites that have been
prepared by medical librarians - these links could at least have appeared on
the CNBC website on the news story, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4401201/

However, I know that much of the information available on those high-quality
websites is hard for many patients to understand, especially under the added
stress of needing to make a quick decision about a costly, possibly
life-saving procedure.

As several of you have quoted, the NBC news correspondent, George Lewis,
said:
"Medical libraries have volumes and volumes of information, but the public
generally doesn't have access to it. What the research companies do is
condense that information into a simple packet that patients can
understand."

I agree with that statement.

I believe that it is very difficult for most consumers to have access to
medical libraries, and if they are already in the hospital and have access
as in-patients, it is too late for them to have made educated decisions
about what care to seek, and from whom to get that care, and in which
hospital.

Many medical libraries restrict access to members of their own communities -
particularly, academic and medical school libraries and small hospital
libraries, where security guards inspect people for employment badges at
gated entry ways, and visitors must sign in. As the threat of terrorism has
increased, walk-in access to large and small hospital libraries has become
even more difficult.

I do not believe that the majority of people are aware of the consumer
health information available in hospital libraries If patients can access
academic medical center libraries, few academic libraries have consumer
level materials, and it is very difficult for people to understand the
medical terminology in professional journals. Many hospital libraries permit
only in-patients to have access to the library. As I said, by the time a
patient is admitted into a hospital that does have good consumer health
information, it is probably too late for most educated decisions to be made
about the patient's care. Once admitted, my hospital-librarian colleagues
know that the goal of most hospitals is to shorten the LOS (length of stay)
to the minimum necessary, and patients are usually discharged well before
they would have a chance to visit the hospital library.

Some public libraries provide good consumer health information. Some public
librarians can perform an expert search on PubMed, but many cannot. Frankly,
I believe at this moment in time, when patients hear from their physicians
that they have renal cell carcinoma or a high PSA or that their child has
leukemia, sadly, most consumers do not bother to seek a good consumer health
library or any other library. If they have a home computer, they Google
their way to online medical information, without the ability to discriminate
between the high and poor quality of the information they find. Or, they
visit online chat rooms and read personal narratives from people who share
their experiences, their fears and bad information in the same sentence.

Now, it is time that I point out, that when I am not working part-time in a
hospital library, I pay my mortgage by working as an independent information
professional, and I specialize in medical information. As for that $200 fee
mentioned in the news presentation, we do not know how many hours of work
that fee covered.

There are many expert independent information professionals - not all are
librarians, and, of course, my personal opinion is that professionally
trained experienced librarians do the best job. For additional information
on this profession, please visit the Association of Independent Information
Professionals (AIIP) website, http://www.aiip.org/   I was a member, but I
let it lapse. There are other indies on this discussion list, who have
quietly let the aspersions be cast on fee-for-service medical research. But
the reason we exist, is that there is a need for the value-added services we
provide.

My role as an information professional, is to provide filtered, high quality
information on a level specific to that particular patient, so that the
person can make educated choices, whether I am employed in a public,
hospital or academic medical library and receive a salary, or if I receive a
fee from a client.

I find that most people want to have medical information translated into
something they can understand, and while it would be great if they could go
to the library and receive the information, many cannot, so they are willing
to pay for this, especially when their lives depend on it. They want to see
clear information about the choices of the different treatment options
available.  Many clients come to me, overwhelmed by pages and pages of
prints outs from good websites and sometimes, even PubMed citations. But
they need help navigating their way through this information, and maybe they
need that help in the middle of a sleepless night, before they are scheduled
for a biopsy the next morning, as an outpatient. That's what I did last
night, for a "repeat" client who knew he could call me, at midnight, while
you were sleeping.

Best,
Valerie

Some credentials:  I received my MLS from Columbia University Library School
in 1970. Yep, I have over thirty years experience. I have worked in large
and small academic medical center libraries and I have spent many years
"moonlighting" in public libraries. I write. I teach. I am presently
employed as a part-time solo librarian in a small hospital library, and I
help ANYONE who walks through the library door. I never mix my private
business and my salaried employment. Much as I would prefer the financial
security of a full-time, salaried position, that is not to be. Instead, I
have had an independent information business for the past ten years. I
specialize in medical information. My clients include patients, physicians,
libraries and businesses, and I make a point not to advertise this on
MEDLIB-L.

Valerie G. Rankow, MLS
Professional Information Services
Research, Writing & Consultation
What do you want to know? Just ask...
Medical Library Director
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center
Patchogue, New York 11772

<snip>