MUNINET April 2004

Re: Accounting Software

Paulette Lafond <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:39:40 -0400

Ann: Sounds like you are not having a very good day, but it is Friday
and the weekend is near.

I have probably been one of NEMRC's biggest critics in the past so don't
tell Ernie I came to bat for them and ruin my image here ---

I do agree on the manual - I would prefer to look something up in a
manual and address the problem myself rather than place a telephone
call. I also need to say that we have all of their modules and we very
very seldom have to even place a call to support any more. We are
networked and have 16 systems connected to NEMRC alone - with operator
abilities varying greatly.

I am not sure what you are referring to on info not showing up on a
report, but when I need to run a report and am unsure if it is the right
report, I always do an individual first so that I can see if it is what
I want. I believe that your cancelling of a print job is in your printer
settings for your network and nothing to do with NEMRC -- I could be
wrong.

We run reports both on the 11x14 paper and the 8.5x11 and don't have any
issues with margins. We also use the marriage licenses all the time. We
did have a printing problem when we began, but it was a setting on our
printer and Chris helped us work through that -- works perfect now. Cash
drawers -- are you talking about being connected to cash receipts? In
Milton we use the cash receipts module and have it linked to our General
Ledger, Tax Administration and Utility Billing and it sure saves us a
lot of duplicate work. If you are referring to Cash Receipts and
balancing out individuals, a suggestion - for what it is worth: if you
use different Remittance Numbers for each person, at the end of the day
you could pull off your reports by remittances and still balance out
your way -- you could then pull off a total day's receipts and the three
should balance out.

I am surprised that you are having such a hard time getting Ernie to
address your issues - maybe you are not hollering loud enough - ha-ha.
We always seem to get our issues addressed in a very timely manner.

We looked at a number of software programs here in Milton prior to going
with NEMRC about 10 years ago and although some of them had a lot of
bells and whistles and might have been nice to have they also came with
a hefty price tag and annual maintenance cost. We went with NEMRC not
only because of cost, but because he was in a number of cities and towns
in Vermont already and very much aware of the functions of a municipal
office as well as the school districts - here we do accounts payable and
payroll for both the town and school under our direction. We also get
the advantage of having changes such as Act68 made at no charge to the
town because it is a mandate throughout the State.

I hear your frustration and feel for you because I was there to some
extent before -- but I do have to say NEMRC is working for us and has
worked for us for the past ten years. Are there things that I would like
to see changed - yes. Do I have issues with reports being too large -
yes - I sometimes feel as though Milton alone is killing an awful lot of
trees to create the paper just to get one report. Do I wish that the
windows versions of NEMRC were more like a windows version and not just
a mirrowed copy of the DOS version - yes. Do I feel there is room for
improvement - yes. But all in all, if I had to recommend a program - I
would recommend NEMRC because it does work for us here and it does make
our job much easier than without it.

Have a nice weekend.

Paulette M. LaFond
Asst. Town Clerk/Treasurer