Golden Eagel/Bald Eagle?

JSutton <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:33:19 EDT

Two interesting sightings yesterday.  The first on Route 91 just south of St Johnsbury.  I was travelling north on my way to Victory Bog.  An eagle flew in front of me heading west.  Silhouette view only.   Strong smooth shallow wing beats, periodic gliding with wings in a definite dihedral positon. That and a not very prominent head and neck suggested to me the possibility of a Golden Eagle rather than Bald Eagle.  Too iffy to call though.

However, later while at Voctory Bog my attention was drawn to the persistant calling of a Raven. It was mobbing an eagle very high and heading away from me (again to the west).  The Raven was dwarfed by the eagle.  Not quite a silhouette this time. As the eagle rolled on its back to show its tallons to the diving Raven the sun caught the "golden" color of the nape. Also as it rolled over  and back the golden, or rufous, line on the leading edge of the inner wing was momentarily visible.  The lighting made the bird look overall dark although I could make out subtle differences in shading.  The head and neck were not as prominent as with a Bald Eagle.  I would say this was an adult Golden Eagle. Pretty exciting and totally unexpected.

Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers announced themselves at Victory, Groton and Berlin Pond.

John Sutton
Corinth.