]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  April 2004

VTBIRD April 2004

Administrative message from the list owner

Ernest Buford <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:29:53 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings VTBIRDers                       Thursday, 15 April 2004

This administrative posting will be posted periodically to assist
VTBIRD subscribers.  Note that you must be subscribed to the list
(and sending from your subscribed address) for the commands below
to have any useful effect.

CONTENTS:       VTBIRD Guidelines
                Listserv instructions (in part)
                Thanks and some commentary

Please read and observe the following guidelines when posting to
VTBIRD:

1. All messages to VTBIRD should include the following:

    * Your name and location (most email programs can be set to automatically
      append a signature block to outgoing messages)
    * An informative SUBJECT line that reflects the content of your message
    * Date and location of any sightings you are reporting

2. Please share reports of bird sightings in Vermont.  For other locales use
   common sense.  New Hampshire and other adjacent states have their own lists.
   Nevertheless, many VTBIRD subscribers will be interested in reports from
   areas close to Vermont (especially reports of rare birds).

3. Other topics about bird identification, optics, field guides, or general
   nature observations are welcome and encouraged.  Please ask for a private
   response if you are requesting information for trips outside of our area.

4. Please do NOT post messages about viruses.  All who use the Internet are
   responsible for staying informed and prepared to deal with viruses and
   virus hoaxes.  Computer viruses have nothing to do with birds or birding
   in Vermont.

5. Attachments are not allowed.  The preferred method for sharing photos or
   binary files is to post them on a web page.  Then include a URL (web
   address) in your message directing readers to the web page.

6. When replying to a message please make certain that your reply is
   addressed to the intended recipient(s).  A quick look at the "To:" field
   should indicate if you are replying to the entire list or to the sender
   only.

7. Please be thoughtful and courteous when posting messages to the list.
   If you are offended by someone's contribution please take it up privately
   with the sender and/or the list owner.

LISTSERV commands are all sent in the BODY (not the subject) of email
messages to [log in to unmask] .  Here are some of the commonly used
commands:

To subscribe to the list:               SUBSCRIBE VTBIRD firstname lastname

To leave the list:                      SIGNOFF VTBIRD
                                        (or UNSUB VTBIRD)

To turn mail off temporarily:           SET VTBIRD NOMAIL
   (e.g., for vacation)

To turn mail back on:                   SET VTBIRD MAIL

To set the list to digest mode:         SET VTBIRD DIGEST

To set the list to index mode:          SET VTBIRD INDEX
To set the list to individual
postings mode:                          SET VTBIRD NODIGEST
                                     or SET VTBIRD NOINDEX

To get a reference card of
LISTSERV commands:                      INFO REFCARD

To get an index of available
list archive files:                     INDEX VTBIRD

To order archive files:
   For monthly archives:                GET VTBIRD LOGyymm
   For weekly archives:                 GET VTBIRD LOGyymmw
   (where yy=year; mm=month;
    & w=week [A-E]

Much of what can be accomplished with Listserv commands can also be
done via the web (at http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtbird.html).  You
may find the web interface to be more user-friendly than email commands.

THANKS & COMMENTARY

I want to express my appreciation to VTBIRD subscribers for their
considerate participation in VTBIRD.

Over the winter, VTBIRD readers showed remarkable restraint when
faced with an occasional provocative or inappropriate message.
Minor annoyances crop up on any list.  People forget to use the
subject line; subscribers post personal or impertinent "me too"
humor; subscribers post complaints about whatever happens to be annoying
them at the moment.

The fact that we have relatively few of these distractions (and that
they seldom result in protracted, off-topic discussions) makes me
proud of the VTBIRD readership.  VTBIRD is not perfect but has been
much more pleasant and useful than many lists I've experienced.
We should all give each other a pat on the back for that.  Thank
you!

That said, here are a few comments and suggestions to clarify or
elaborate on VTBIRD guidelines.  The intent is to maintain quality
of VTBIRD content and not to "point a finger" at anyone in particular,
so please don't take offense if you feel you might be the inspiration
for any of these points.

   * Please use the subject line!  (and don't just write "birds" or
     "Saturday").  If you do not appreciate the need for informative
     subject headings, please visit (or better yet search) the archives
     as one example of why a good subject line is important.

   * If all you are saying is "count me in", "I agree", or "great
     photos!" you probably want your message to go to the sender only
     (and not to everyone on the list).  Please pay attention to the
     "To:" field when replying.

   * Writers may not be aware that their email program is sending
     extra garbage with the message.  It is appropriate to assume this
     is the case and correspond with me or the sender privately if you
     object to junk included in messages.  There's no need to bother
     everyone on the list with such objections.

   * If your message is more than a brief paragraph, please do us the
     service of capitalizing bird names so that your message can be
     quickly scanned by readers lacking the time or patience to wade
     through a long narrative looking for the bird sightings.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome at

May your excursions on VTBIRD and in the field be filled with delight.