SKIVT-L April 2004, Week 4

GoS 4/25 - Strange arithmetic

telenaut <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:56:57 -0400

Strange arithmetic.

The day started at Pinkham notch about 8AM. Ended up back there at 5:30. In
between were about 8.5 hours hiking, and 50 minutes of sitting around. Which
by my calculations leaves about 10 minutes to ski two runs of 800 and 600
verts.

Followed by a six hour drive home.

Strange arithmetic.

But oh those ten minutes.

Giddy turn after turn on the kind of corn I've sat at my desk summers and
winters trying to recall from the 2 or 3 encounters I've had in my ski
lifetime. Big kernels that spray out from behind your rear ski as they
gently hold you up and lower you down on a slope too steep to ski so easy.

Second, last run, down towards the bottom I lost it, sort of.

Got so wrapped up and mindless of the turns. The motion continuum. Loop
left, jumping down pulling down, loop right, jump down pull down reach pull.
Left loop, right loop, left right, loop loop loop loop. Jump jump down again
again into the next. What this? What reaching down or being pulled or being
held in a dreamy freefall. Got giddy and jumped reached higher and downer
over and over as in equilibrium down swerve and up down each turn pulled,
all balanced up down left loop right loop down loop down loop down loop.

Eventually, something fell out of whack and I spun out of sync, tumbled and
rolled back up, the rhythm still almost within grasp, and finished the last
50 verts or so grinning and slowly becoming aware of just how out of mind
all had gotten.

And that was it.

10 minutes of the kind of skiing that can stay in you through a summer or
longer. It only took 15 hours and 50 minutes to get it. A ski/time bargain.
Strange arithmetic indeed.

One of the things that hit me--afterward--was how easily understood that
ski/time arithmetic would be to most on this list and how incomprehensible
to just about anybody else anywhere that I knew. Maybe EvanO started me on
that train of thought as we scrambled up kicking toeholds in the packed-in
corn. Asked me 'did any of the folks I knew in Manhattan have any idea what
this is all about?' And of course the answer was no. Nobody I know in my
weekday gets this. Don't just don't get it--can't grasp it. It won't be fit
into any model they can draw on. "Do they get the commitment?" Yeah, that
they get, but the rest is like talking into a storage room filled with
nothing but silent things, things all necessary maybe some other time but
now, useless unneeded inert. "And the slimb was like... and the snow was
like... "
Thwhwhwhwhwhwhhwhwhwhwhwh... (pause) "Was it cold?"

Another thing that hit me was amazement at what many of you on this list do.
For me, this day at GoS was a big, big deal. Some of you toss these days off
like I munch down an oreo or 5. Hats off to you guys. I am impressed.

But the main thing that hit me was the corn. The day before, at Sugarloaf,
we skied corn. Marc was saying how good it was and I sort of agreed but in
the back of my mind was, 'naah, that may be corn, but it's not the corn I
think of, when I'm lucky have dreams of, though even when I think of it in
the day it's like dreaming.' Corn like the spring day before I knew there
was such a thing as corn, just learning to ski, coming down a, for me then,
steep wide even pitch when suddenly in the warm sun the turns turned so easy
easy spraying wide easy. That was corn. The stuff at Sugarloaf was sort of
like a spreading of wet sugar. At GoS it was big fat wet melty kernels as
big as beebees. That's when you can say, and mean, it doesn't get any better
than this. Marc called it the difference between manmade and natural corn.
Maybe, I still wonder if the right weather can't turn manmade into this same
dreamy stuff. I don't know, But what ever. This was corn to make one
delirious.

++++

Pardon the addled rambles. Here are a few more concrete recollections.

I'd never looked down so long and arrow straight a chute as at GoS. Guess
that's why it's called gulf of _slides_, duh, but I hadn't put 2 + 2
together before. At the top is sort of a delta in reverse of parallel short
straight shots, 8, 10 feet wide, through the krumholz, going 20 yards, 50
yards, then deadending and you'd  traverse over a few feet then start anew.
By halfway down all had funneled into the one main chute--was it 20 feet
wide?--and all, top to bottom, straight, straight, straight. It was
something all right looking down from the top.

The upclimb was nervous-making, in parts. (The first upclimb, that is. For
the second I borrowed Marc's crampons--the ones I'd ragged on him for for
being such a gear geek--and what a difference they made. Thanks again Marc.)
But on the first, some places you could kick in a solid toehold. Sometimes
even for a stretch of 15-20 steps and up you'd climb, happily, quickly,
solidly, wearily, like scrambling up a ladder (and even then, toes would
cramp from the strain of never having the chance to rest the heel). Then
would come the sections where snow cover over ice thinned down to what?,
maybe an inch? You could sort of kick in, but not really, and eventually all
it came down to was the scary prayerful feeling of slamming your boot tip up
to solid frozen stuff and hoping that the thin little layer of icy grains
under the first inch of boot sole would hold you long enough to get the next
foot down, enough times till you reached something softer and sturdier.

Then there were the undermined places where for a half a second the grip
felt sure, then in the second half of a second, down your leg would punch
through to air, up to your thigh, and hang there while you tried to see if
your other leg could lift you up or would punch through again too.

Then there were the times when I'd stamp out a secure foot rest and Marc
would tell me to turn around and admire the view. Sometimes I did. Sometimes
I couldn't wouldn't.

Stamping out a platform to put skis on was a new experience. I guess it was
no different from what you'd expect, but still it felt foreign and pretty
neat.

That's it.

Gotta sleep.

Amazing place. Strange arithmetic.