SKIVT-L April 2004, Week 4

Another Delayed Rockpile Report - long

Henry Barboza <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:24:22 -0400

I had wanted to join up with Marc and Telenaut for their weekend trip to the
Rockpile, but family commitments on Saturday meant that was not to be.  So with
some very helpful advice from list member Jonathan, and some last minute
shuffling of my work schedule, I headed up to North Conway Thursday afternoon.

After enjoying some good reebs and food in town that night, I hit the sack a
little late, but still got up fairly early on Friday.  Managed to arrived at
Pinkham Notch around 8:30 that morning and was heading up the Tuckerman Trail by
8:45.  The weather was quite warm (hiked only in a lightweight pant and long
sleeved shirt), but was also very overcast.  Made it to HoJos in about an hour
and 15 minutes.  Didn't get a real good view of Hilman's or Tucks as the cloud
cover was still pretty low, so I continued straight up to Tucks.

Even with the clouds the place was impressive.  I must have sat on those lunch
rocks for a good twenty minutes just taking it all in before finally changing
over to my ski boots.  Grabbing my poles and putting the skis over my shoulder I
started the climb up Right Gully.  My plan for the day was pretty simple.
Seeing this was my first time here, not sure of my fitness level (need to be
able to hike back out too), and being solo I decided I'd only do one run then
head down.

I will say this, the steepness sure is deceiving.  Sitting on the rocks watching
others climb up and ski down didn't seem so tough, but once you start climbing
yourself it gets steep real fast.  I certainly understand Telenaut's concerns
about climbing without crampons, 'cause I too was a bit nervous here and there
hoping that the 2 inches or so that my boots were sticking into the side would
hold me.  After climbing maybe halfway up, I spent a few minutes kicking out a
platform in which to step into my skis.  Another amazing thing, once those skis
were on I was again relaxed, and just stood there for a few minutes taking it
all in.

The skiing was sublime.  As Marc and Telenaut would find out two days later, the
snow was absolutely perfect and each turn was a blast.  But before I knew it I
was back at my spot at the lunch rocks.  Thought for awhile about taking another
run, maybe climbing higher too, but decided to stick to my plan and head back
out.  But first I had to watch some guy who had unwittingly followed me up the
slope (he said it looked like I knew what I was doing - ha!).  Where I had
veered off a little to the right to kick out a spot to put on my skis, he had
continued on up a little farther.  The spot he picked out to get his skis on was
a crevass.  Yup.  He was sitting right in that sucker for a good twenty minutes
before he finally got his skis on and managed to get up onto the slope - yeow.

There was not a lot of people there, maybe twenty or so.  And it was a real
mixed bag.  Saw some real good skiers and some not so good.  But overall, it was
pretty cool as almost everyone there was real friendly.

After changing back into my hiking boots I headed back down and of course, no
sooner did I make it to HoJos that the clouds gave way to clear blue skies and a
big blazing sun.  Oh well, at least I was able to get a real good look now at
Hilman's and Tucks.  Wow, that Hilman's is a long steep run.  Must be two or
three times the length of anything in Tucks.

The sign at HoJos said the Sherburne Trail was still open, so I changed back
into my ski boots and started down that, only to hit nothing but grass and rocks
after about 200 feet.  Hiked down for awhile but still no snow cover, so I
turned around ad headed back to HoJos where I changed back into my hiking boots
and headed down the Tuckerman Trail for what turned out to be a realatively easy
hike down.

Arriving back at Pinkham Notch around 2;00 with bright sunny skies and still a
little gas left I decided on one more little adventure.  I drove the half mile
up the road to a completely deserted Wildcat ski area, donned boots and skis and
skinned up to maybe two thirds of the way to the top.  At that point I took off
my skis and sat down to take in the beauty and grandeur of Mt Washington.  I
could see Hilman's, Tuckerman's, and even a whole slew of other runs that I
think Matt K had posted last year (one of them looked like Pipeline).   At that
point I took off the skins and made a bunch of big GS turns down beuatiful corn
snow at my own private ski hill - who'd ever have thought that skiing at a
legitimate ski area would be a more solo experience that the backcountry?

All in all, it was a great day for my first ever time skiing there.  Can't wait
to try it again.

Henry

p.s.  A couple post ski comments.

Sorry I couldn't hook up Marc and Telenaut - but I had to be in CT on Saturday
on Sunday.

Also, what do others on the list think about hiking up stuff as steep as what's
in the ravine with just ski boots, poles and skis?  I saw some people that day
with crampons and they moved fairly quickly and seemed quite surefooted.  I also
saw some others without crampons really struggle when they got up near the top.
From my own experience, it seems that it wouldn't take much to slip with just
ski boots, and I can't imagine how'd you self arrest on a slope that steep.

Can't say enough about the people I talked to while hiking and skiing - lots of
very friendly folks.

Not sure how long the snow will last.  The whole top of the Sherburne Trail
(Little Headwall?), is completely gone.  It's just one big massive waterfall
right now.