Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LIST_CHOICE Home

LIST_CHOICE  May 2004

LIST_CHOICE May 2004

3 points

"Kristofer J. Jenson" <[log in to unmask]>

Choice Coalition <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 May 2004 14:10:09 -0400

1) If anyone wants to be removed from the list, please do not Email the entire
list asking to be removed.  You can consult the instructions in the Email you
first received when you were first put on the list.  If you deleted it or
cannot find it, you can Email myself ([log in to unmask]) or Shannon
([log in to unmask]) and we can remove you.

2) We should figure out a time to meet to discuss the leftover money, as well as
assess the march.  Do we want to meet on Monday, briefly?  Or maybe on the
night before a reading day so it won't interfere with our exams?  Perhaps this
weekend?  A student (I can't remember exactly who) also made a short film about
the march that we should all get together to watch as well.

3) I'm afraid I don't quite understand why the ISO should be exluded from the
list of groups between which the funds would be split.  The ISO has played a
central role in organizing the coalition, the busses and outreach, as have
Planned Parenthood, FMLA and the Women's Center.  As a *democratic coalition*,
we all worked together for the same end: to get people on the bus to DC.

As far as donations, the only donations made to the busses were from individuals
who dropped money into our water jug and from the SGA.  The only organizational
body that contributed money to the busses was the SGA.  Planned Parenthood,
FMLA and the ISO did not do any actual donating as far as I understand it.
Though members of each did pay from their own pockets for photocopying and
whatnot.  FMLA held the money from SGA, but it did not come out of their actual
funds as I recall.  ISO members payed the $40 for the bus just like everyone
else.

If the ISO had hijacked the coalition in any way, then I would agree.  If it had
demanded that a resolution be passed or it would leave the coalition, that
would be undemocratic.  If it sent 10 unrelated Emails every day and refused to
let other organizations or individuals into the coalition, then it would be
undeserving of credit.  But it did none of these things.  The Emails it sent
were either announcements (as other groups have done), or wholly related to RRC
affairs.  This is what a coalition is, and while we still have to decide what
to do with the funds, we cannot exclude any group that was critical to getting
this coalition off the ground for purely political reasons.  That is *not*
democratic.

No, this is not the ISO listserv; it is the RRC listserv, of which the ISO is a
highly active member.  Planned Parenthood and the FMLA have used it accordingly
as well.  A coalition is designed so that groups may work together, and in
working together we should also feel free to discuss what events the various
organizations have planned.

Solidarity,

Kris

--
"We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with
the fierce urgency of NOW. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history,

-Martin Luther King, Jr.