SCHOOL-IT May 2004

FW: GLEF Blast E-Newsletter 5.6.04: Music Education Meets the 21st Century

Philip Hyjek <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 May 2004 09:22:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: GLEF Blast [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 4:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: GLEF Blast E-Newsletter 5.6.04: Music Education Meets the 21st
Century

GLEF Blast 5.6.04: Music Education Meets the 21st Century

This May, GLEF brings you the future of music education. In Bay Shore, New
York, students become award-winning composers and producers using digital
tools that turn a computer and a keyboard into a "musical word processor."

Read on for expanded coverage: article, video documentary, and multimedia
feature.

Please feel free to forward this e-mail and ask your colleagues to
subscribe to the GLEF Blast!

1. Beyond Band: Music Technology Inspires Students
2. Pre-order Moving Images 3 CD or DVD and receive a 15% discount!
3. News Flash: GLEF's newsletter becomes a magazine!
4. On the May 6 Internet Radio Show: Dr. Linda Darling-Hammond on teacher
preparation
5. On the May 13 Internet Radio Show: Founding board chair Lisille
Matheson, principal Sharon Olken, and teacher Michael Fuller, of San
Francisco's Gateway High School
6. GLEF Blast Subscriptions

1. Beyond Band: Music Technology Inspires Students

"Music does everything for me. It's an outlet for any sort of stress in my
life -- which is a lot, due to high school -- and it helps me with so much
more than I ever imagined it could." - Student Ryann Hoffman

"Students learn to focus academically. [My son] is better in math. His
self-esteem is up, and because he's taught to perform, he's better at
speaking in front of an audience than I am." - Parent Marilyn Clemens

In Bay Shore, New York, music is an essential part of the curriculum. From
first grade on, students use technology tools to deepen their
understanding and to become confident composers and performers. Parents,
teachers, and students say the academic and social benefits of music study
make the program indispensable.

Our coverage of this story includes:

* An article, Beyond Band: Music Technology Inspires Students
< http://www.glef.org/1139 >

* A 6-minute Web documentary. (Note: Will play in QuickTime 5.0 or Windows
Media Player.)
< http://www.glef.org/1139 > - click on "play video"

* A multimedia feature, including photos, interviews with students,
parents, and teachers, and links to student compositions.
< http://www.glef.org/1139 > - scroll down and click on "play multimedia"

(Note: Flash Player 6.0 is required. Flash Player 6.0 can be downloaded
free from http://www.macromedia.com.)

Send your comments and questions about the Bay Shore story to

2. Pre-order Moving Images 3 CD or DVD and receive a 15% discount!

GLEF is now accepting pre-orders for our Spring 2004 collection of
mini-documentaries.

With over 60 minutes of video from outstanding classrooms around the
country, Moving Images 3 will feature eight of our most-requested
segments. See Maine's Laptop Initiative in action on a nautical science
trip, learn how parents started a San Francisco high school for their
children with learning differences, and more.

Receive a 15% discount when you pre-order Moving Images 3. Anticipated
ship date is June 1.

Click here to pre-order and to preview segments:
< http://www.glef.org/products/mi3.php >

3. News Flash: GLEF's newsletter becomes a magazine!

This September, GLEF transforms our semiannual Edutopia print newsletter
into a full-fledged magazine.

Edutopia magazine will continue GLEF's inspiring coverage of success
stories in our schools with expanded features, new departments, rich
photography, and crisp, smart design. It will include the tools,
techniques, and technologies used by our nation's most innovative
educators and students, as well as profiles of educational heroes famous
and unsung.

Subscribe today for free -- don't miss a single issue!

Click here to receive your FREE subscription to Edutopia magazine:
< http://www.glef.org/mag/0506 >

4. On the May 6 Internet Radio Show: Dr. Linda Darling-Hammond on teacher
preparation

Thursday, May 6, noon PT, (3 pm ET) on VoiceAmerica.com

Dr. Linda Darling Hammond is a professor of teacher education at Stanford
University. Long a strong voice for better teacher preparation, she was
instrumental in publishing the 1996 report What Matters Most: Teaching for
America's Future, which catalyzed major policy changes across the United
States.

Darling-Hammond's work focuses on issues of teaching quality, school
reform, and educational equity. She will discuss recent trends in teacher
preparation and development.

If you would like to pose a question to Dr. Linda Darling-Hammond, please
e-mail it in advance to [log in to unmask]

"Edutopia" is hosted by GLEF's executive director, Dr. Milton Chen.

5. On the May 13 Internet Radio Show: Founding board chair Lisille
Matheson, principal Sharon Olken, and teacher Michael Fuller, of San
Francisco's Gateway High School

Thursday, May 13, noon PT, (3 pm ET) on VoiceAmerica.com

At Gateway High School, students learn how their minds work and discover
how they learn best. The charter school was founded by parents of children
with learning differences and is based on Dr. Mel Levine's All Kinds of
Minds program.

Join Lisille Matheson, Sharon Olken, and Michael Fuller as they discuss
the curriculum and instruction at this unusual school.

Click here for related GLEF coverage of Gateway High School:
< http://www.glef.org/1118 >

If you would like to pose a question to Lisille Matheson, Sharon Olken, or
Michael Fuller, please e-mail it in advance to [log in to unmask]

"Edutopia" is hosted by GLEF's executive director, Dr. Milton Chen.

If you would prefer not to receive future notices, please visit:
<
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

To change the e-mail address at which you receive the GLEF Blast, please
visit:
<
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

To change the format in which you receive the GLEF Blast, please visit:
<
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

For e-Newsletter queries or for information about GLEF, send an e-mail to

GLEF does not sell or otherwise distribute to third parties the personal
information of list members.

The George Lucas Educational Foundation is a nonprofit operating
foundation located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Established in 1991 by
filmmaker George Lucas, the Foundation documents and disseminates
materials sharing hundreds of powerful examples of learning and teaching
already successful in our nation's schools. We hope this information will
stimulate active involvement and guide choices in school reform.