SKIVT-L May 2004, Week 3

Re: Tally

Leigh Daboll <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 May 2004 21:12:45 -0400

Well, it was quite an interesting season.  What is most peculiar is that
between Jackie's racing commitments in NYS, Jonny's broken leg prior to the
Vermont leg of Swampfest, and a bounty of Quebec and western days, the gods
conspired to limit me to **0** Vermont days this year.

[shudder/blush/wince/seekforgiveness].

That being said, it was still pretty much my best or at least a
top-three-lifetime season. I skied:

Holiday Valley - 9
Holimont - 2
Labrador - 1
Song - 1
Bristol -1
Brantling -1
Gore -2
NY TOTAL - 17

Bromont -1
Sutton - 1
Orford - 1
Massif Du Sud - 1
Mont Edouard - 1
Valinouet - 1
Le Massif - 1
QC TOTAL - 7

Whistler/Blackcomb - 5
Rainbow Mountain - 1
Valhalla - 6
BC TOTAL - 12

ABasin - 2
Keystone -2
Vail - 1
Beaver Creek -1
Breckinridge - 1
Sunlight - 1
Loveland - 1
CO TOTAL - 9

GRAND TOTAL - 45

Third year in a row I've skied my age or better.
Tied with last year for highest season total.
New places skied: 10
Total lifetime places skied: 77
First day skied: Dec 7
Last day skied: Apr 2
Days alpine gear: 0
Days randonnee gear: 27
Days tele gear: 18
Days hiking involved: 8

Highlights:

Way too many to mention.  I'll try.

1.  The kindly comments from everyone one the list thanking me for setting
up these annual trips.  Believe me, it's a ton of work, and getting busier
by the year.  Which BTW, I would not give up for the world at this point.
The friendships I have made and the insights I have gained through the
wonderful people on this list and through FTO are some of my adult life's
highlights.  If I look back over the last five years and think of all the
best things that I've done in that time, a significant number of them
revolve around this list and its membership.  It's pretty neat seeing your
kids grow up and rather than growing apart, seeing them slowly realize this
a pretty special and unique bunch of older folks to hang with ("old" being
defined as "over 23").  Both kids especially appreciated the kind words of
support I forwarded to them when, for example, Jonny broke his leg during
SF.

2.  Realizing that as good as powder days are, great days happen under any
conditions.  For example, 2 days at Vail and BC in Colorado had awesome
powder. But 7 of 9 days were spent skiing elsewhere with Steve and Howard in
some of the sweetest sunniest corn conditions I've ever seen.

3.  Being spoiled for life by Valhalla. Lift-served will NEVER be the same
again.  I've already been in contact with Martin to ask him to consider
renting two cats for next year - maybe an "advanced" cat and a
"less-advanced" cat due to the persistent bc comments from the slightly
slower skiers.  Seeing Dan K do stuff I can only hope to do at 65 - what an
inspiration. Realizing I am the suckiest skier in the Valhalla group - not
an inspiration.  Note to list : "suckiest" in this case does not mean
"slowest" or "most cautious".  It merely means "most scarily spectacular
crashes due to persistently skiing far beyond one's sane ability to do so"

4.  Realizing that despite comment "3" above, lift served days like Massif
Du Sud, Day 6 at Whistler, Vail, and Valinouet can be cat-worthy
competitors.  Jason is right on- that day at Massif Du Sud was just a
blinding flash of snowspray as I rode in Jason's wake as fast as I could for
6 hours straight.

5.  Getting back to basics at NFC.  Wow.  Some trips get fonder with memory.
NFC was a rockin' tour that sticks with you.  Really, unique.  I hope we can
do it again next year with a couple of carloads of people.  Best $300 I ever
spent.  Seeing Chris G catch the tree bug at Whistler then go charging off
into the puckerbush at Le Massif yelling "it's pretty good" whilst
untangling the underbrush from his skis means another conversion was
surreptitiously accomplished.

6.  Watching Dave G's kids whiz by me throughout SF gaining confidence every
day.  They probably skied extra hard to try and impress me at Sutton.  Not
that they needed to - those kids are the next Jerms/Matts/Kulas' on the
list.

7.   Spending a few nights bunking with Jerm and Andy at Valhalla.  I hit me
how much Jerm lives the skiing experience.  Example: On night one, I was
awakened by Jerm suddenly yelling in his sleep "No No NOOOO! Avalanche!!!
On night two, I was again awakened by Jerm leaping out of his bunk and
flying across the room catching his "runaway skis" as they presumably flew
over the edge of Andy's bunk into the abyss of the indoor/outdoor carpeting
below.  Effects of Nelson's finest? Nahhhh....  Realizing Andy can put up
with my snoring and vice versa - surpassingly easy.

8.    Living like a king in Whistler for a week.  How can you top those
accommodations and service on a typical 'vittler's budget?

9.    Seeing Jackie retire from racing to attend university next season
without a win, but with immensely, I dare say outrageously improved skills
and a life-long desire to challenge herself.  For example, by the time she
finished her first day on tele rentals at Loveland, she was skiing tele
better than me.  Not that that's saying much.....

10.  Improving said friendships through skiing with Paul, Howard, Dick,
Jason, Steve, Bruno, K,  Dave, Chris, Rich R & K, Jim, Dan, Eric, Jonathon,
and anyone else I've carelessly neglected to mention.

Lowlights

1.  Wondering whether classic SF will go next year.  Maybe back to a more
basic long weekend approach?

2.  "The fracture", which deprived Jonny of his season, and me of skiing in
Vermont with MarcG.

3.  Missing the partee and realizing it was my last chance to ski in Vermont
in 2004.

4.  The sucky NYS conditions all season when I always seemed to be in the
wrong place at the wrong time.

5.  Not skiing with my friends that I failed to hook up with this year,
which were way too numerous to mention.

Time to start planning next year's trips.
Leigh