refq:research committees

Melissa Hudak <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:57:10 -0500

Hello:

Recently I asked for information on what librarians are doing to
support their hospital's research committees.

I received quite a bit of advice, which I have included below in cut
and paste format, with personal information deleted.  There were also
some phone calls, which I have paraphrased so they could be included.

To everyone who helped with this, thank you!  I appreciate the
information.

I'm working closely with a nursing research committee, including
monthly attendance at their meetings.  I do all the things you mentioned
although no copyright questions have surfaced, but I'm also doing
specific classes to help them.  So far I've done a general hands-on
class that covered PubMed and CINAHL techniques, touched briefly on
evidence-based techniques, and covered how to use the library resources,
especially those that are online.

i an part of research and ethics group.

In that role i am asked to review , in concert with others,  including
pharmacist, emergency physician risk manager, hospital board member -
name a few,  the merits of new research proposed to be done at the
hospital.

I am asked to read each proposal, and debate its merits or lack there
of.
Sometimes they are over my head  ( and almost always 50 + pages long)
but
often the general principles are what we need to debate not the
specifics
such as drug dosing units.   is - does this research seem valid, does
it
"cost" our hospital group in time, money or general disorganisation.
Is
there  proper consideration in terms of privacy and valid data
collection
design.

In the past I have been asked to find information on the ethical
responsibility of the group and the hospital, whether or not research
groups
should charge fees to consider a research proposal.  We now do charging
up
to 1500 $ for an application to be viewed ( irregardless of whether it
is
approved or not.  We waive the fee for nonprofits and students.

I have also been asked through lit searches to establish the reputation
of
researchers and if similar research as been done recently.

I enjoy it a lot .  I volunteered to revise the research application
form
and it has now been accepted for general use.  I also volunteered to
help
write our patients Bill of rights which is part of the ethics group  -
our
two groups work together - research and ethics,

I am a member of the Nursing Research Council (which came into being
as part of becoming a Magnet Hospital).  In fact, I am the only
non-nurse
on a Nursing Council.

I do the things you mentioned - we do quite a large amount of nursing
research here for a small, community hospital. I've given them classes
on how to search the literature, use of our data bases etc.  Many are
on
their way to publishing, so I help them find journals they might try,
help
with instructions for authors etc.

For Nurses'Week, the group made a poster displays on how we practice
Evidence Based Nursing at this hospital.  I helped with the literature
back-up for that and made a poster on how searching the literature has
evolved from the "books" to the computer.

I help them get ready for their appearance before the IRB and so on.
It does take just a little more time, but I truly enjoy working with
such an enthusiastic group and in turn, I am learning from them about
the process of launching a nursing research project and seeing it
through to publication.

By research committees, do you mean institutional review boards/human
participants protection committees?  I serve on our IRB and do
literature searches, review applications to make sure they don't put
research participants at unneccessary risk, etc...I probably spend
between 15-20 hours each month on my duties (but we have a lot of
research studies going on here).  Since I'm not a clinician, I am
especially good at looking at consent forms, to see if they are written
so that a non-clinician can understand them.  At meetings, I'm often
asked about information resources too.

I'd suspect that a librarian could be on the committee in a consultant
role, with no role in application review, and that would take up far
less time. In this role, a librarian could do what you propose below.
You could also help the committee chair by forwarding articles/resources
that are relevant to clinical reseach - - a current-awareness type
service to just the chair or the whole committee.

You can offer SDIs to researchers on a regular basis

I am on the hospital Investigation Review Board and it can take a bit
of time.  We meet monthly and I am required to read through summaries
of
the proposals; members rotate getting the "full packet" that contains
the investigator brochure and more.

I enjoy it.  I do literature searches occasionally but not very
much-usually in anticipation of an issue rather than being asked.  I
also provide timely articles for members to read.

Some libraries offer to become involved even when there isn't an
official
research committee.

Some libraries have representatives on IRBs (Institutional Review
Boards),
for clinical research.

Some libraries help with identifying journals for publication of
research.

Some libraries provide collections / Web sites for: style manual /
writing
aids, product safety sheets, grants funding sources.

Some libraries sponsor  / co-sponsor lecture series on issues related
research: scholarly publication, statistics, ethics, open access
publishing, grants funding sources.

I am a member of both our research committee & our IRB. The research
committee was formed before we had a dept. of clinical research nor a
dir.thereof.  At that time, our main purpose was to work with staff on
developing clinical projects, posters, etc., esp. those individuals
doing CAP projects.  Now, it is a group without much focus as we have a
dir. of research, a process for those seeking to pursue true research
projects, and the IRB.  I have always sat on both and am the one who
makes sure the individual has done their due-diligence vis-a-vis lit
searches.  I also am, more or less, the lay person on the IRB.

Is there much time on your part involved?  Is there anything you wish
you could do to help the
committee?  Time:  Research -1 meeting/month for >1 hr.  Little work
involved as the chair reviews protocols that are going to
IRB;occasionally members are asked to, but I recuse myself as I will see
them at IRB.&! nbsp; I always am part of the early research as the
Research Dir. has individuals contact me regarding the lit search; same
for IRB.  IRB is about 2 hrs./month, altho these get cancelled from time
to time as we are a small, rehab hosp. with few protocols running at any
one time.

I see doing literature searches, providing articles/books, and helping
with copyright issues being large areas of concern.  Are there any
others?  Our IRB does a journal club as part of our meetings.  I have
helped provide articles for this, too.

My hospital has the Magnet designation in nursing and I'm on the
nursing
research committee.  I'm very involved because research is an important
area
with Magnet.  In the last few years we have worked to get nurses to
understand research and to come up with questions that can be pursued.
The
first step is always a literature search.  I teach classes in searching
the
medical and nursing literature and I've participated in research
workshops
for the nurses.  Next year we are planning to have a focused series of
four
workshops to pursue two questions.  One of the sessions will be
entirely on
the literature search to show our strategy in detail.

From phone calls:

Careful of budget issues
Include library in grants to cover information services
Be sure researchers are aware of intellectual property issues and
copyright issues

Again, thank you to all who helped.

Melissa Hudak, MLIS
Health Science Librarian