VTLEPS Archives

July 2004

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Bryan Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:53:46 -0400
Greetings, VTLepsters:

Just a quick word on the butterfly photos Martha Pfeiffer (no relation,
much to my dismay) sent to the VTLeps. I absolutely love the idea of those
kinds of exchanges. It's what this email list is all about. But I'll offer
everyone a few friendly suggestions:

Many of us have slow, dial-up Internet connections. And while I heartily
endorse taking a breather and sitting idly by the computer, I suspect that
large photos emailed to everyone is a problem (or an annoyance) for some folks.

So I think it's best to try to avoid sending photos to the email list. It
would be OK to send them to me (or Kent when he returns from sabbatical) or
to anyone else who might be interesting in helping out with IDs (perhaps
Alex or others). If you do send to the list or to an individual, PLEASE,
PLEASE send small files. Most photo-viewing software offers the option to
email a compressed (or smaller) photo without serious loss of resolution.
While viewing a photo in your camera's software, look for an email option
in one of the menus or try "right clicking" on the photo for an option to
email a smaller file. Thanks!

Alternatively, you might post the photo to a web site (if you have that
option) so that folks can choose whether to view it. Just send the photo's
web site address to the email list if you'd like to get some opinions. Thanks!

Best,
Bryan Pfeiffer
VBS Staff

The Vermont Butterfly Survey
A Project of the Vermont Institute of Natural Science

27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091
(802) 457-2779 Ext. 124

www.vinsweb.org/conservation/vbs