VTLEPS Archives

July 2004

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Ernest Buford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:06:41 -0400
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, MARIE/KEVIN HEMEON wrote:

> Bennington Co. has dions, mulberrywings and black dash in a few wetlands I've checked over the past week. The mulberrywings seem plentiful. These wetlands are usually sedge with some cattails and have swamp milkweed in bloom. The Dions are large, dark and active over large areas. The Mulberrywings are small dark and low, slow fliers that take hard turns just before they land which makes them hard to track. The Black Dash love the swamp milkweed. I got a pair of hip boots for my birthday and they are proving very useful. I don't think I would have seen any of these butterflies without getting right out in the muck. Word of advice: watch out for thin vegetation and uncovered mud, you can be waist deep unexpectedly and getting out isn't easy. Kevin

You have to be careful in those wetlands.... Mulberrywings will sneak
right up behind you and ....

Seriously, I believe (for some reason) Mulberrywings can often be found
flying up the "path" of laid-over sedges created by your walking through
the wetland.  That's my experience from Maryland anyway.  So don't forget
to look behind you!

 Ernest W. Buford
 Rubenstein School of Environment
   and Natural Resources