SUMMARY-Dream Library

Melissa Hudak <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:57:52 -0500

Hello again:

I've had many, many requests to summarize the responses I received for my question on what you would put into a dream library.

For a bit of background, the librarian at my hospital's college of nursing library recently left.  Rather than filling her position, the hospital decided to merge the two libraries into one.  They are planning a major redecoration and overhaul of my current library, so I am okay with this.  Anything to get rid of 1970s era yellow and orange furniture.  The head of Medical Affairs wants a "Club Med" feel.  Sounds good to me!

I received many great ideas, and thank you to all who replied.  Following are the replies, with names/places removed.

Off the top of my head--depending on how much space you get--
I would ask for metal shelves with wood side panels-- the all wood don't work as well. I would ask for a computer training lab, many computer
stations, carrels with laptop docking access, comfortable soft seating,
carpeting (we have linoleum floors now and they are noisy) AV storage units
(nursing seems to have a lot more of these than we do). A library that I saw that I really liked, had windows between rooms with blinds instead of full walls and therefore the librarian or staff could see if people were messing with the computers.

good quality soft furnishings - to make it a welcoming place  - people are
always commenting on my sofa and chairs. even if they are not the most
comfortable they seem to strike a cord. Staff relax here and often prefer to
read curled up in a chair rather than at a carrel. Art on  the walls. light
from real windows if at all possible.  the only sun i ever see is the fabric
soft sculpture on my walls and it does make a huge difference. plants.  I
want my library to be the place people retreat to, where they can learn and
absorb new things in a comfortable environment.

fast computers and good quality printers but a copier scanner as well. pdas
and lap tops to lend - after they try them they will likely buy their own. a
space for an office for staff with a door that closes and locks and shelving
which can be closed off or left open. I like the look of books on shelf but
sometimes it makes a much more streamlined look if some of the mess can be
behind closed cabinets.  Lateral filing cabinets. which allow you a work
space on top as opposed to vertical cabinets.

I could also suggest a persian rug, a fire place and a big fluffy cat/dog
(depending on your preference) but guess thats pushing it. One place i know
has a big tank of fish - very big but it takes work or a contract with a pet
store to keep it working well. thi is a cancer library primarily focused on
patients needs and they find it calms people.

1.  Another librarian who can do reference and cataloging
2.  A cart with laptop and projector to take "on the road" to other departments for their staff meeting inservices on what's online from the library
3.  a coffee bar
4.  a really "grab you" décor.  I'm not talking wild here, but user friendly.  Something that says "NURSING" or "PEDIATRICS" on the book sections; comfortable furniture, plenty of PCs, modem line for visitors who want to do business while Mom's recovering upstairs
5.  lounge furniture and table for newspaper and journal browsing
6.  media cubby or room for viewing media, for creating media
7.  computer lab for training
8.  a small area for library programming: such as the retirement party we held years ago when our card catalog retired, or Natl Libr Week celebration, or bindery prep or The Librarian is IN or a hundred other such "where do we do this" kind of activities
9.  self service checkout area
10.  a desk for a librarian, with PC of course, next to reference collection with BIG sign & with another seat for students etc who want a Help Me conference with a librarian

In my nursing library, I've found students need to have group
study areas and private study areas (as simple as study carrels). They
need areas for putting together the myriad things they copy, so in the
copy area have a copier (one that will do single/double sided copies
from single/double sided originals, one that will copy books and feed
single/stacks of singles, and having it able to staple/collate is good,
too. One thing, though, is to be sure it is easy to use and that staff
does the routine maintenance, etc. as the more capabilities, the more
potential problems.

We have EBSCOHost databases including CINAHL, Nursing and Allied Health
Collection, Comprehensive, and Health Source Academic as well as others.
 These have much that is full text online.  We also have joined OVID's
small nursing library consortium which gives us full text access to
about 30 of the most requested nursing journals.

We also have others, but these are the ones most geared to nursing.

I strongly suggest having bathroom facilities within the library.

If you have the ability to have a computer section, with at least a
dozen computers, you can have bibliographic classes to teach the
students to use them effectively for their searching. However, it is
nice, also, to have them spread around the library, too, so students can
work without distraction.  It depends on your layout.

I'd recommend at least two combination TV-VCRs/DVD players for students
to use for individual or small group viewing of reserve materials. The
ability to listen to heart and breath sounds with audio equipment is a
plus, but if you have a small AV room, for all the library, don't make
them redundant.

Have the best ILS you can find that meets YOUR library needs.  It may
be a bare bones kind of system, one located on your PC or on the web,
but make sure it fits your library.

I would include flat screen monitors for all of your computers.  They take up less room then the big bulky monitors of the past.  The flat screens that we have in our library  make the computer tables appear less closed in and cluttered.  More of a sleeker look.

I don't know how long you can wait, but Haworth Press is coming out with the
book Planning, Renovating, Expanding, and Constructing Science, Technology,
and Medical Library Facilities edited by Elizabeth Connor. You can find it
on the Haworth site here:

http://www.haworthpress.com/store/product.asp?sid=3F0MTXT344LR9JDD5KN0TT2PHQ
B6296D&sku=5261&AuthType=4

When I began to think about designing our new library (we are in the library
since 2001) we added crown molding with the shelving - design details are
important in creating the ambiance you are looking for - it made a world of
difference in our library

Make sure there is enough room for staff workspace - that is one area that I
think we could have done better - including space for new technologies such
as scanners, digital copiers and the like - and space for volunteers to work
on their own -

If you are planning a consumer health area, make sure that area has room for
growth - we have added an additional shelving unit and are about maxed out -
and yet I need to find space to build a consumer health area for children

In the computer area, the noisiest area of a library, plan for one-on-one
teaching - we have a 2-seat computer workstation where we can do one-on-one
- this works extremely well - If you see your role as teacher expanding,
particularly with reference to computers and technology, plan for areas
where you can teach and not disturb others

Melissa Hudak, MLIS
Health Science Librarian
Methodist Medical Center
221 NE Glen Oak Ave.