MEDLIB-L July 2004, Week 3

Susan Klawansky <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:10:43 -0400

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my request for current
information on the world of book copiers.  Here's the summary:

We have the Xerox digital bookmark.  We actually have a vend station
attached, but also use it with copy codes programmed in which do not require
the vend station.  Getting the vend station was a big deal (it's not
actually a Xerox product), so I'm sure that the machines can be fully
operational without one.

We got it specifically for ILL copying and because there are some tightly
bound things that just seem like you need that edge.  Do we *love* it?  No.
We don't hate it, either, and have no complaints about the quality of the
machine or servicing.  But we're finding that it is *very* slow (something
about the way it takes a digital impression and then has to print) and, due
to its design, can't accommodate a paper feeder.  So we're finding that we
tend to prefer our flat-top Minolta, even for volume ILL copying.

We got ours one year+ ago.  I do recall that it was significantly more
expensive than the Minolta (we lease both machines).

And yes, you are right, Xerox is the only game in town for book edge
copying.  Although I expect that we will always have one in our Library, I'm
not sure that I really think that the book edge feature is worth the money
at this point.

In the past year we upgraded from the Xerox Bookmark 35 to the
Digital Bookmark.  We do not have the vend machine ... we don't charge for
copies.  We are very pleased with the performance so far.  We opted to not
have the automatic paper feed in the lid because most of our copying is from
bound volumes.  The Digital Bookmark can be networked if you purchase the
software for this feature.  We don't have it now, but are considering adding
the networking software.

At ALA Midwinter, I saw a product called Binder Minder from Book
Support Systems. It is a small piece of equipment that you install on
top of an existing copier. Their contact info is (800) 647-5713 or
www.binderminder.com.

We have the Xerox Digital Bookmark and it is set up without the
vending station.

It hasn't been a success for us, quite frankly.  It is the only copier
we have and it is <SLOW>.  I think it does 20 copies a minute, but it
seems slower than that.  Print quality isn't that great either.  We
have a lot of trouble with streaks on pages, lines, etc.  Apparently if you
get so much as a speck of dirt on the glass, it will show streaks.  I
wouldn't recommend it.  We are hoping to upgrade soon to the Xerox
CopyCentre C35, which has a book edge, but is much faster and has more
of the bells and whistles.

We have had a Canon ImageRunner 3300 for over a year now.  I had no part in
choosing it, it was the copier chosen for most offices in the insitution & I
was real dubious.

It is wonderful.  It is quiet, it does books well, we are going to put in a
scan card & use it for ILL's soon, it does double sided. (These scans will
go directy to a staff computer-patrons will not be able to scan). I love it.
 We & our patrons do not do as much copying as we used to since we are so
electronic, but it is still heavily used.  Our people find it user-friendly
& it does not break down much-yet, at least. The copier does not have an
edge the book laps over while copying, but it still seems to work & the
cover seems to accommodate thick books pretty well-that was a problem we had
with the last copier.  The lid broke.

You might be interested in the following company.
http://www.binderminder.com/

Which makes the special platens and lids to make copies on, and they fit
various brands of copiers.

Last year we replaced our two dying Bookmark 35s with two Digital Bookmarks.
They are okay, only okay. They are also not true bookmark tops. They do not
have the edge; they simply END at the end of the glass. It works only OKAY,
but it is better than the regular copiers for edging a book.

The digital part of the copier produces cleaner copies and the toner is not
a mess as it was in the Bookmark 35. However, its use is a tad more
complicated than the old machine (not TOO much, but some).

We do not use a vend station. We do keep track of its use with assigned user
codes. We have the basic, stripped-down model. You cannot get the option of
duplex copying with the bookmark top.

By the way, with the Xerox lease agreement, this copier is less expensive to
use than the older model was because they include supplies (not paper) with
the lease.

We are in the same state as you are: BookMark35 in a rapid decline.  My goal
is to rent the Digital BookMark, but so far have not succeeded in getting
the concept approved.  ["Any copier is capable of photocopying books" is
what I'm fighting.]

I have not updated this info recently, but once upon a time Oce made a book
copier.  They would not sell or lease one to me because we are too far from
their servicing area.

Awhile back a vendor in Illinois called Access Control Solutions tried to
sell me a Ricoh 'bookedge' copier.   It is an office copier that has been
modified.  I don't recommend this.  We had something like this before the
BookMark.  The manufacturer pointed fingers at the modifier and vice versa.

I have the digital Bookmark and have been happy with it.  HOWEVER, I am
looking at a "muscle" machine--one that does copying, faxing, scanning to
PDF/e-mail from Xerox & will gladly replace this Bookmark with a he-man.  I
hate having so many steps/functions/machines and want to try & consolidate.

We have had the Xerox digital bookmark for almost two years now, considering
a trial period that lasted a number of months (much longer than we thought
it would).

We do not charge for copies either. You can get it without the vender
station, we did. We had a demo machine for a number of months to try it out,
which was nice considering the money we are talking about when it comes to
these machines. Before we tried the Xerox, we almost went with the OCE, but
it is on the large size. The Xerox is simple and to the point, definitely no
bells and whistles. I would also suggest seeing about a demo machine so you
can see how your patrons and staff like its ease and functionality. At the
time we bought it, we saved around $3000 from what the OCE would have cost.

We've had a Xerox Digital bookmark copier for about a year now and it
does not have to have a vend station. Copy quality is better than the
old BM35. The jobs features allow you to set number of copies and scan
the document into memory before printing. There is an auto off feature
that allows one to set the amount of time before the copier turns off.
The maximum auto off can only be set to 4(?) hours, so I have to turn on
the machine at least once a day. (There is no override) While the letter
size trays have less problems with jamming than the old bookmark, I've
occasionally have had problems with legal & larger size papers which
rarely get used. The trays don't have space for heating/drying rods like
the old book mark, so I sometimes have problems with curled large pages.
Toner is included in our lease, so all we do is supply paper.

Susan Klawansky
Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center
Seattle, WA