SKIVT-L July 2004, Week 5

[SPAM?:#] Saint Vrain

Matt Duffy <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:48:43 -0400

Deep into the Indian Peaks lie the Saint Vrain Glaciers. Nine miles in.
There’s a 4x4 road that leads halfway which would’ve been useful if only we
had the right vehicle. Dave’s pickup was not enough. My Bronco is not
properly equipped. Neither of us could drive past the crux jus one mile in.
We saw others with big burly tires and off road suspension make it over.
They made us jealous and added new toys to our lists of wants.

So we made the long trek all the way from there. Sixteen miles round trip,
all on foot. It was too much for one day. The three of us (Mir, Dave, and
me) couldn’t complete the mission.

Long story short:

On that first attempt (July 21st) we were booting up the snow when the t-
storms rolled in. We had to abort and run for the cover of trees 500 feet
below. Vowing to come back another day.

On the eve of July 26th, we did. With all the camping gear we’d need.
Loaded down with all that extra weight, it was 6 miles and hours of heavy
labor. Evening became dusk, dusk became night. Hiking in the wild well
after dark. With a bright half-moon casting shadows onto pale
mountainsides. Difficult balance acts on slippery rocks and logs across the
streams. Winter suddenly growling and staring into the blackness of the
night. Warding off who-knows-what. Watching over me and Mir. Our little
family was having an experience.

With tomorrow’s drinking water boiled, stomachs full and backs sore;
finally we slept. The starry night fades away, melting into morning.

Light slowly leaks into my eyes until they’re were wide open; staring at
the illuminated roof of the tent. Mir is mummified in her sleeping bag and
Winter is curled up in a ball. Both awoke when I unzipped the door to take
in the sunrise over the lake. Dave and his yellow dog Milli were soon
coming up the trail to meet us.

Two pristine miles of scenery later, we were booting up the glacier. This
time was a success. Mostly. Somewhat. For a while.

Once again, thunderheads were coming. Dave saw them first and got spooked
into hammering down the run all in one shot. Winter chased him down. But
before we’d clicked in, Mir and I saw the clouds break apart enough to feel
safe. We savored it, stopping here and there to photograph each other.
Together in our happy place. But something was amiss.

Milli hadn’t yet descended. She was still at the top. Whimpering and
crying. I’d seen her hesitate before, but she’s resourceful and courageous.
Always finding the nerve to execute; often in steeper places than this.

This time though, something had her oddly spooked. We called for her from
the bottom to no avail. Finally, Dave began booting back up to get her -
frustrated. Clouds were thickening once again. Then came the crack.

Thunder boomed and echoed off all the mountain walls surrounding us. Dave
was a third of the way up. He scurried to the side and hid in the moat
between the rocks and snow. We ran for the trees a hundred feet up on the
opposite facing wall. We could still hear Milli’s cries from the top of the
run. We wondered if she’d become trapped under loose rocks. She _had_ sent
several of them tumbling down.

Minutes passed without thunder and soon Dave reappeared onto the snow. He’d
left his lightning rods (skis & poles) in the moat and was basically
sprinting up the bootpack. We feared for him. How the hell was he going to
get down? It was a steep pitch of firm snow. I don’t suppose he even cared
at the time. His poor baby was alone and crying at the top. In an unknown
and perilous situation. He just needed to get to her as fast as possible.

I was about to leave our cover to see what I could do when another burst of
thunder pinned me back down. Dave once again disappeared into the moat on
the side.

This pattern repeated itself, with the thunder getting closer each time.
Finally, blue sky split the clouds and we breathed a little easier. Dave
was most of the way up now. Milli had been silent for quite some time. Then
we heard something awful.

It was Dave’s voice. “FUCK! FUUUUUUUCK!!!!” And it wasn’t anger. There was
agony in his voice. Anguish filled the air. I felt sick to my stomach. We
were speechless and stunned.

We made our way out of the trees, down the scree and back to the apron.
Dave was way up high; prone and clinging to the snow. Another explicative
broke the silence. I wanted to puke. But just then, Mir saw and said
something wonderful. “Matt, look above Dave! She’s alive!” Sure enough,
Milli was moving about just out of his reach.

We’d later discover that Dave’s agony was that of anxiety and utter
exhaustion. He’d grabbed Milli by the collar and was inching her down when
she slipped it and ran back up. The sky was getting gray again. And he
couldn’t coax her down.

I gave a yell and his answer was “HELLLLP!” So we geared back up and began
making our way. I don’t know how I summoned the strength. My legs burned
every step of the way. The first time up I’d barely stayed ahead of Mir,
but this time the urgency was like a fire under my butt.

I found Dave’s skis in the moat and grabbed them. Climbing out of it with 4
skis on my back was excruciating and meticulous. The early afternoon sky
grew darker still. It was a race against time.

In my hurry I lost balance and slipped several times. Milli was somewhere
on the rocks above and out of sight. She was skirting narrow stony shelves
and trying for an alternate route. Dave was trying to catch her. Occasional
rocks tumbled down. I was unaware of many of them, just watching my step
until Mir would shout “ROCK!” from below. Thankful that she was watching, I
kept moving. Sometimes with bowling balls missing by inches.

 About three quarters of the way up, Dave was back in sight. Milli was on
his lap, trembling. Aside from a bloody paw, they were both ok. But she was
frightened. She wouldn’t get on the snow – which was the only way down.

So we did what we had to do. Take turns carrying her over our shoulders. A
squirmy, 70 pound dog. Ski a high angled glacier with that as a condition.
After hiking all those miles. Having booted up there twice. Knowing that we
had to hurry because another storm was imminent. I thought I knew what
pressure was, but now I really do.

The first angled traverse went well, but that first turn was scary. With
both arms around the dog and her added weight, I gained way too much
momentum. On the verge of losing control, I dug the downhill edge as hard
as I could. While skidding to a slow stop, the searing pain of a muscle
cramp shot through my leg. It seized, I collapsed and laid clinging by two
metal edges. Dave took Milli from me, and had pretty much the same
experience.

We took turns doing this until halfway down where the pitch eased off a
bit. We hoped Milli would get down on her own power as ours had run out.
Sink or swim, little girl. At first she wouldn’t engage those paws and
started sliding, but she did pop up and eventually start running.

Our relief would be short-lived. We were almost down when it happened. A
flash lit the sky with an immediate, deafening clap of thunder. Right on
top of us, reverberating off those walls. Going on and on as if the sky was
tearing apart. Maddening.

We raced to the bottom, threw our skis as far away as we could and huddled
together around a three foot boulder. Hail began pelting us, harder and
harder until the pain of it was tortuous.

There we were; three people and two dogs all gone fetal in the focal point
of a vicious thunderstorm. Quivering and shaking. “Please, please oh please
don’t…” BOOM!!! Like a shotgun blast over our heads, leaving our ears
ringing.

This continued – the intense hail, breath-taking flashes and air splitting
thunder for so long that something strange happened. A calm, relaxed frame
of mind. In the middle of a war zone. I cannot explain why. One by one we
each began to feel this way. We began talking. Mir took a picture of Dave
before he’d let go. The flash of her camera was a bit unsettling, but it
was all ok. We counted seconds between lighting and thunder. The hail began
to let up. It was finally moving away after a solid twenty minutes, leaving
us covered in white pellets – but alive and well.

We hiked back to camp without speaking much about anything. Soaked and
chilled to the bone, we gathered up dead wood, made a stone circle and
built a fire. Darkness fell. We cooked 6 packages of ramen and as many
bratwursts. Shots of rum and JD went down until we were all gathered around
the warmth of the fire and finally speaking of our fierce experience.
Laughter and smiles swirled around with sparks from the fire late into the
night. And then we slept.

Dave in his tent, me and Mir in ours. So at peace, so special. It wasn’t
just today’s trauma, but the whole experience that was powerful for the two
of us. Hiking miles in the dark, waking together in the wilderness,
unzipping and seeing the world through the door of a tent, and of course,
the wild events that followed. Hugs and kisses. Goodnight, moon.

Dawn of a new day came and went before we awoke. It was a quiet morning in
the outdoors. Peaceful and sunny. Reflections of mountains in the lake. We
fished for trout, watched a deer watching us from a lush, green meadow and
took turns boiling water. Breakfast over the re-kindled fire. We didn’t
speak much of the previous day as we packed up our things, said our
goodbyes and began the long journey home.

The six mile hike out was rather quiet. Alone in, yet bonded by our
thoughts. Taking in the peace and tranquility of one of the more serene
places in Colorado. Resigned to the fact that our skis would be put away
after this trip. Hanging them up until those first August turns. Probably
sometime next week. :D

We're currently sorting through over a hundred images; the best of those
are coming soon....