]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  August 2004

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE August 2004

NYC CALENDAR ATTEMPT #1 for RNC and 9-11

Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:51:40 -0400

Hi folks,
Here's a calendar of the next few weeks' events I've tried to pull
together. All events are in Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
I'm sure there are items missing, so if you know of any that would interest
our crew, please send them to me, and I'll include'm in the next mailing
Have fun, and don't forget to keep a smile on yer lips and a song in yer
heart when you're out there smashing the state.......

Mitchel

TUES AUG 24
Night
Kick off Party for anti-Conventionistas, Webster Hall, 125 E. 11 St.  Manhattan

WEDS AUG 25   7:30 pm
Frank Barbaro for Congress organizing meeting in Park Slope
at Ozzie's Cafe (at 249 5th Ave. in Park Slope) BROOKLYN

WEDS AUG 25

Banner making party  BROOKLYN
Wednesday August 25th
5:30pm  -  9:30 pm
El Puente CHE Institute
227 Roebling St. between S2/S3
Come join us in making banners for the 28th and 29th. We will have some
materials but please
bring your own if you can.

WEDS AUG 25  7 pm
Sunfrog talks at Bluestockings about Fifth Estate newspaper collective and
the anarchist movement.

WEDS AUG 25  6 pm – 10 pm
The Summer of Love Concert for Equality
East Lawn, Central Park

THURS AUG 26
War Crimes Tribunal on Iraq: the case against Bush
<http://www.peoplejudgebush.org/>http://www.PeopleJudgeBush.org

Put the Bush regime on trial!

War Crimes Tribunal
Thursday August 26
3-9 pm
Martin Luther King Auditorium
65th St & Amsterdam, Manhattan, NY
212-633-6646

THURS AUG 26 7 pm
Art Opening for Rana Bishara, at Xanadu gallery (and chess place), 217
Thompson  St. (bet. 3rd St. and Bleecker) in Manhattan.

THURS AUG 26
The Artists Network of Refuse & Resist! presents
UNCONVENTIONAL HEROES
An Evening of Performance to Honor Courageous Resisters

Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 7:30 PM
Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, NYU
566 LaGuardia Place at Washington Sq. South, New York City
(sponsored by the National Lawyers Guild/NYU Student Chapter)

On the eve of the Republican National Convention, as the battle
rages for the streets of New York City, the Artists Network of
Refuse & Resist! is presenting an evening of performance to
honor Courageous Resisters. The honorees include Aaron Lebowitz,
a high school student in Darby, Montana who resisted a
resolution to make creationism part of the public school
curriculum; Toni Smith, the NYC College basketball player who,
in the months leading up to the war on Iraq, turned her back on
the US flag during the singing of the national anthem; Camilo
Mejia, the first soldier to go AWOL because of his opposition to
the Iraq war (now in the brig); Juanita Young, a leader of the
movement against police brutality in New York City whose son was
killed by the police, and many more. (See list below)

Artists who will perform in honor of the Resisters include:
Dan Bern
Blair Brown
Steve Earle
Reg E. Gaines
Andre Gregory
Vijay Iyer
Martha Lavey
Mari Mariposa
Ellen McLaughlin
Omar Metwally
Tracie Morris
Odetta
Mikel Paris
Beau Sia

Since 1988, Refuse and Resist! has presented these awards to
individuals, groups, and communities that engage in remarkable
acts of resistance. Courageous Resisters put their reputations,
their jobs and even their lives on the line. Given the current
extreme climate of war and repression, in which resistance
itself is under attack, their refusal to remain silent is a
source of extraordinary inspiration.

The honorees include:

Bretton Barber, a high school student in Dearborn, Michigan, who
defied school administrators when he refused to take off a
t-shirt emblazoned with an image of Bush and the words
"International Terrorist."

Michael Berg, who responded to the videotaped beheading of his
son Nick, an independent contractor in Iraq, by demanding an end
to all violence in that country and around the world.

Rachel Corrie, a volunteer with the International Solidarity
Movement in the Occupied Territories who was murdered by Israeli
Defense Forces while trying to prevent the demolition of a
Palestinian home in 2003. Her parents will accept the award.

Mitchell Crooks, who videotaped the LAPD police beating Donovan
Jackson, a 16-year-old black man, in 2002, defied the right-wing
media and the police who then arrested him on a five-year-old
misdemeanor.

Bill Keys, a school board member in Madison, Wisconsin, who
refused to enforce a state law that made it mandatory for
students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance

Aaron Lebowitz, a high school student in Darby, Montana who led
students and adults to fight against a school-board-supported
resolution to teach creationism as part of the public school
curriculum.

Aaron McGruder, the creator of "The Boondocks" comic strip.
Published in 300 newspapers each day, McGruder's characters
consistently tell the truth about injustices committed by the
U.S. government with humor and style.

Camilo Mejia, who is the first soldier to go AWOL because of his
opposition to the Iraq war and the American-inflicted
atrocities, is currently in prison serving the maximum penalty
of one year for desertion.

Dave Meserve, the city council member who sponsored the Arcata,
California ordinance that makes voluntary cooperation with
unconstitutional investigations or arrests under the Patriot Act
a crime punishable by $57.

Bill Nevins, who refused to censor the closed-circuit TV reading
of an iconoclastic poem by one of his students at Rancho Rio
High School in New Mexico. Nevins was fired and the Write
Club/Poetry Team were disbanded by the school's administration.

Michael Newdow, a Sacramento physician with a law degree, who
argued before California's 9th U.S. Circuit Court and the U.S.
Supreme Court that the phrase "under god" in the Pledge of
Allegiance is unconstitutional.

Santa Cruz Librarians, who defiantly opposed the USA Patriot Act
by shredding library patrons' records and posting warning signs
about the FBI's authority to subpoena patrons' records, thereby
setting an example for others in their field.

Toni Smith, a basketball player at Manhattanville College who,
in the months leading up to the war on Iraq, turned her back on
the US flag during the singing of the national anthem. She
continued to do so before each game in the face of threats and
protests.

Jason West, the mayor of New Paltz, New York was charged with 19
criminal counts when he rushed to married marry gay and lesbian
couples in February 2004. The charges against Jason brought by
the state of New York were dropped in June.

Juanita Young, the mother of Malcolm Ferguson (murdered by the
NYPD in 2000), who continues to be a leader in the movement
against police brutality despite threats and brutalization by
the police.

These remarkable people will be honored for their courage and
refusal to be intimidated. In these times, they are truly
unconventional heroes.

The evening's co-sponsors include:
Artists Against the War
Bread and Roses 1199/SEIU
Center for Constitutional Rights
Citizen Soldier
National Lawyers Guild/NYC Chapter
The initiators of the Not in Our Name Statement of Conscience.

For more information, call 212-625-1212 or go to:
<http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news13/news660.html>http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news13/news660.html

Tickets available at Skirball Center Box Office:
212-992-8484
or you can buy tickets online:
<http://www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu/calendar.html>http://www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu/calendar.html

************************************
THURS AUG 26
7 pm at Warsaw, 261 Driggs Ave., Brooklyn
Anti-Convention live music benefit for Not In Our Name

************************************
THURS AUG 26
7 pm
The Fourth Wall Film Screening at
Anthology Film Archives, 32 2nd Ave., Manhattan
presented by Suheir Hammad

  ***********************************
FRI AUG 27   9-11 Truth Commission
Noon – 5 pm

Press Conference & Film Showings

Wings Theater
Kicking off The Summer of Truth

Presentation of "The 9/11 Omissions Dossier"

Films to include
Highlights from the International 9/11 Inquiry, Phase 1: San Francisco.
The March 2004 conference at the Herbst Theater kick-started the 9/11 Truth
movement into a new phase of action (30 min)

Hijacking Catastrophe: 9/11, Fear, and the Selling of American Empire
(60 min)
Unprecedented: The 2000 Election (60 min)

Wings Theatre Company
154 Christopher Street, New York, NY.
Subway: 1,9 or PATH to Christopher Street, walk West.

  ***********************************
FRI  AUG 27   7 pm
9-11 Truth party. Brecht Forum
122 W. 27 St., 10th floor, Manhattan

********************************
FRI  AUG 27  4 pm-10 pm
Immigrant Worker community speak out/Day of Action
St. Mark’s Church, E. 10th St. & 2nd Ave., Manhattan

********************************
FRI  AUG 27
Critical Mass Bike Ride
7 pm  Union Square

********************************
FRI AUG 27
7 pm
at Warsaw, 261 Driggs Ave., Brooklyn
Anti-Convention live music benefit for Not In Our Name

********************************
FRI  AUG 27
8 pm
Rooftop Films: What Democracy Looks Like / Short Films
Clemente Soto Velez, 107 Suffolk St., Manhattan

********************************
REGIME CHANGE NOW!
Saturday August 28th
11am-2pm   BROOKLYN
March beginning at McCarren Park
Lorimer St./ Driggs Ave.

Join PeaceWilliamsburg as we participate  in the historical nine-day Long
Island March for Peace and Justice. Breakfast in McCarren Park starting at
11:00am will be followed by a march and rally at the Continental Army Plaza
(intersection of South 4th St. and Roebling St) at 1:00pm with local
speakers.  After the rally we will continue marching south to downtown
Brooklyn, ending with a short rally at the military recruitment station on
Flatbush and Atlantic Aves.

Why are we marching?
After coming to power through a stolen election, the Bush Administration
has waged two unprovoked wars of aggression resulting in the loss of 53,000
Afghan and Iraqi lives, as well as over 1,000 US troops; increased military
recruitment among young people in immigrant, working class and communities
of color; targeted immigrant communities with detention and deportation;
and curtailed basic civil liberties with the creation of the US Patriot
Act.  The $280 billion surplus that Bush inherited has turned in to a
record $372 billion deficit. States are slashing funding for everything
from healthcare to education; unemployment soars with over 3 million jobs
lost since Bush took office; and Americans without health insurance
increased by 2.4 million between 2001 and 2002 to a total of 44
million.  Meanwhile Bush responds with two huge tax cuts that benefit the
most wealthy.

Whether a Republican or Democrat is elected, we believe our country should
be focused on preserving peace, not waging war; dedicating a majority of
our tax revenue to social programs, healthcare, and education, not to
military spending.  End the Occupation of Iraq NOW!

  ***********************************
SAT AUG 28   11 am – 4 pm
March & Rally for Women’s Lives
Begin in Brooklyn at Cadman Plaza near Brooklyn Bridge, march to City Hall
Park.
www.ppnyc.org

************************************
SAT AUG 28
12 noon – 6 pm : A Green World is Possible!
NY Green Party is holding an all day festival and speakers in Washington
Square Park, includes many Green luminaries and candidates.

The Green Party Office Committee, The Green Party of the United States and
the Green Party of New York State are proud to present, “A Green World is
Possible: A Festival of Non-Violence, Ecological Wisdom, Grassroots
Democracy, Social and Economic Justice” to be held on Saturday, August 28th
at Washington Square Park in the historic Greenwich Village in Manhattan.

There will be speakers, live music, free yoga, an open art space, along
with tables for progressive organizations to not only protest the
Republicans coming to New York City, but to show the world a strong and
viable Green alternative!

Speakers include Green presidential candidate David Cobb; Peter Camejo,
Peace and Justice Party vice-presidential candidate; Dave McReynolds, U.S.
Senate candidate from New York; Efia Nwangaza, U.S. Senate candidate from
South Carolina; New Paltz, New York Mayor Jason West; Global Exchange
founder Medea Benjamin; Bill Douglass from the 9/11 Visibility Project-9/11
Truth Movement; and many others.

Calling all ant-imperialist, anti-corporate, pro-peace artists to display
their creations. There will be body painting, statues, and festival
performers. Make your own protest signs and display them in Washington
Square Park.

We are hopeful that you or your organization will share our excitement
about our plans for A Green World Is Possible. We are actively searching
for volunteers, vendors, musicians, donors and others ready and willing to
make our event a peaceful and successful one.

For more information, please contact the office at 212-240-0501 or via
email at <mailto:%3Ca%20href=>[log in to unmask]

***********************************
SAT AUG 28
7 pm – Midnight
Sixth Street Community Center: 638 E. 6 St. (bet. Ave. B & C, Manhattan)

NY Greens are holding a party!!!! Prizes! Politically appropriate parlor
games! Music!
($50 for the best performance as judged by the participants).
FREE!

************************************
SAT AUG 28
5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Ring Out bells at Ground Zero
www.ringout.org

************************************
SAT  AUG 28
Books Not Bombs Youth Convergence
9 am – 6 pm  St. Mark’s Church

************************************
SAT AUG 28
  THE LYNNE STEWART DEFENSE COMMITTEE
(LYNNE STEWART, attorney now on trial in federal court new york)
party at the
  the brecht forum
(working for social change & raising money for moving expenses)

and
the new york city chapter of the national lawyers guild
(standing up and defending your right to protest)

saturday, august 28th - 8 p.m. til

featuring:

comedian activist  randy credico
eli smith & the jug free america band
nana soul - black waxx - singer extra ordinaire
norman marshall - portrayer of john brown
and more...

an evening of solidarity, fun, music, drinks and food - speeches and schmoozing
  sliding scale $10 - $20 & up appreciated    place:  the brecht forum
122 w27th. st., 10th floor, new york city
(between 6th & 7th aves.)
stop by on your way to and from other events or for the whole evening - see
you there

Don't forget that the Lynne Stewart Trial is currently ongoing - Monday
through Thursday 9:30 - 4:30 p.m.  Come and show your support
United States District Court, Southern District of New York
40 Foley Square, Courtroom 110
New York, New York
212-625-9696
<http://www.lynnestewart.org/>www.lynnestewart.org

***********************
SUN AUG 29
Big Peace March:
The World Says No to the Bush Agenda

Brooklyn Branch 10am
Bedford Ave./North 7th St.

PeaceWilliamsburg will also be marching in the United for Peace and Justice
march past the Republican National Convention site.  We will provide "Know
Your Rights" booklets and other information you will need for the day.

in Manhattan, begin  assembling at 10 a.m. all along  7th Avenue beginning
at Union Square and up, in Manhattan. March begins at Noon up 7th
Ave.  past Madison Square Garden to Central Park.
www.unitedforpeace.org

  ***********************
SUN AUG 29
1 pm – 6 pm
Still We Rise march and rally of homeless and poor. Starts at Union Square
and marches up 8th Ave. to 31st St.

************************
SUN AUG 29
4 pm  March for Our Lives:  Stop the War at Home
United Nations, Dag Hammarskjold Plaza

Committee of the Green Party of the U.S. and 911Truth.org
7 pm - Wine and cheese (pizza) complimentary reception for peace and
justice leaders. 8 pm - Roundtable discussion of how the peace and justice
movement can fight for 9/11 truth to avert the prospect of "endless wars"
and save the U.S. constitution. By exposing the lies of 9/11 we cut the
legs out of the bogus argument that we need bloated defense and domestic
spying to prevent attacks.

30 St., bet. 7th & 8th Ave., $10.

************************
SUN AUG 29
7 pm
Alwan for the Arts, 16 Beaver St., 4th floor, NYC
The Palestine Right to Return Coalition Party.

************************
MON AUG 30
12 Noon   Union Square
Still We Rise & HipHop Summit  march to Madison Square Garden
www.stillwerise.org

************************
MON AUG 30
4 pm
Poor People’s Campaign’s March for Our Lives
Kensington Welfare Rights Union
meets at United Nations, 45th St. & 1st Ave.

************************
TUES AUG 31
Day of Direct Action and Civil Disobedience at Repugnant Convention

Noon & on …
4 pm ­ Actions in Midtown; Info booth at Union Square
6 pm  Gather at Madison Sq. Park, or steps of 42nd St. Public Library
7 pm  Converge on Madison Square Garden
  www.A31.org for more info

***********************
TUES AUG 31
7 pm
Citywide meeting at International Action Center around “Resistance is
Justified”,
39 W. 14 St., NYC.

***********************
TUES AUG 31
9 am   “The Health Care Crisis and Election 2004”
2-day conference at CUNY Graduate Center
365 5th Ave. at  34th St. www.cnhpnow.org

***********************
TUES AUG 31
5 pm – 7 pm
ProChoice Rally, Union Square.

***********************
WEDS. SEPT 1
During the RNC invasion of New York, you may be ready
to take a break from your relentless protesting and
getting bailed out, so I was thinking you might want
to come see me and even better singers sing a bunch o'
politico songs Wednesday night at 8 p.m. at the
Village Mac, 107 Macodougal St.

And yes, I will be doing the "Saudi Arabia, Iraq,
Iran, What's Our Oil Doing Under Our Sand" song, among
many other chart busting hits (the thing charting my
cholesterol level, I think)

Hope to see you there - the show is free, although the
waitor may bother you from time to time to buy a $4
drink - but you can counter and ask him if he's heard
about Jesus, that Oscar-winning Savior who saved our
so-called president from alcohol abuse ... and he will
stare at you with a studied gaze that you may want to
memorize and use next time you speak with a die-hard
Republican.

Unless you still believe there's a dialoque, in which
case, maybe you shouldn't come,
- Keith Lisy

************************************
WEDS SEPT  1
7 pm  Central Labor Council march to stop Bush, 8th Ave. & 30th St.
nycclc.org

************************************
WEDS SEPT 1
7 pm – 9 pm

Rally by NOW NYC Chapter: Code Red:  Stop the Bush Agenda

Central Park, East Meadow

Says NOW: "The National Organization for Women, NYC Chapter, is holding a
mass demonstration, to the backdrop of the RNC, to show the world New Yorks
reaction to the Bush Administration's failures and deceptions around 9/11
and its aftermath."

Among the speakers will be Sibel Edmonds, the courageous translator fired
by the FBI after revealing evidence that the United States government had
received and suppressed specific advance warnings of the Sept. 11th
attacks. Why did the 9/11 Commission report completely ignore her testimony?

************************************
WEDS SEPT 1
Midday / Midtown
Billionaires for Bush flashmob
www.billionairesforbush.com

Followed by
BILLIONAIRES’ Ball
The Frying Pan
Pier 63 at 23rd St.

************************************
THURS SEPT 2

Vigil For Truth at Ground Zero
1-6 PM

Join NY 9/11 Truth in our vigil at the World Trade Center memorial site.
Look for the banners that read "Stop the 9/11 Cover-Up" and "Was 9/11 an
Inside Job?" Since Jan. 2004, NY 9/11 Truth has established the right to
free speech on the sidewalk in front of the PATH Station near the corner of
Vesey and Church Streets. We invite you to do the same during "The
Coronation of King George." Directions to WTC site at ny911truth.org
(Go here for an article detailing the court decision that reaffirms the
right to hold banners on public sidewalks.)

************************************
THURS SEPT 2
2 pm
Artista and Activists United for Peace March and Rally
Harlem State Ofice Building, 125th St. & Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd.
Speakers: Charles Barron, Chuck D., Nellie Hester-Bailey, Rev. Herbert
Daughtry, Ron Kuby, Stanley Cohen, Margarita Lopez, etc.

************************************
THURS  SEPT 2
5 pm
Demonstrate in solidarity with the people of Palestine, the Haitian people,
and others who are resisting US occupation. Begins at 5 pm at Israeli
Mission to UN (43rds St. & 2nd Ave.), and marches to Haitian Consulate
(40th St. & Madison Ave.), and then to MSG.

transparency and accountability at WBAI radio. At 6th Street Community
Center, 638 E. 6th St. (bet. Ave. B & C).

************************************
THURS SEPT 9
11 am – 7 pm
The 9/11 Citizens' Commission
Citizen's Hearings on the Events of September 11th, 2001

Symphony Space
The Peter Jay Sharp Theater
2537 Broadway at 95th Street
Subway: 1/2/3 to 96th Street

Chaired by the once and future Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Testimony to
be given among others by researcher and author Michael Ruppert, publisher
of From the Wilderness Newsletter.
A panel of Commissioners will hear testimony from whistleblowers, witnesses
and researchers relating to the still-unanswered or unasked questions of
Sept. 11, the continuing 9/11 cover-up, and evidence, circumstantial and
otherwise that clearly suggests either criminal negligence and/or a wider
circle of complicity, both within the U.S. government and in the
involvement of foreign actors, in the terror attacks of September 11, 2001.
See 911Truth.org for more details.

www.911truth.org

Sneak Preview: The Great Conspiracy

A new documentary about the events of Sept. 11

Symphony Space
"The Great Conspiracy: The 9/11 News Special You Never Saw"
A 74-minute documentary by journalist, media critic and 9/11 activist
Barrie Zwicker. A sequel to his ground-breaking video The Great Deception.
www.911truth.org

************************************
FRI SEPT 10
missile dick chicks
will  be performing
   on friday, september 10, at 8pm
at the
  Five Towns Forum
Hewlett-Woodmere Library
Broadway
Hewlett, N.Y.
call 516-887-9495
for directions/info
  (LIRR/Car)

VISIT THE MISSILE DICK CHICKS AT
<http://www.missiledickchicks.net/>WWW.MISSILEDICKCHICKS.NET

**********************************
SAT SEPT 11
The Day the Lie Died
NOON

In New York at Union Square

Events Around the World to Expose the 9/11 Coverup. Manifestations are
planned in Berlin ... Paris ... San Francisco ... Seattle ... Kansas City
... Madrid ... London ... Marin County ... Moscow ... Athens ... Istanbul
... Portland ... More to Come, see the calendar at 911Truth.org

Union Square, NYC (and around the world)
Noon at Sat Sep. 11 2004
www.911truth.org

SAT 9/11

National Town Hall Meeting
September 11 2004
7 pm

Manhattan Center Ballroom
311 West 34th Street (betw. 8th and 9th Aves.)
New York NY 10001
Phone: (212) 279-7740
A, C, E and 1,2,3 to 34th St./Penn Station, walk west
N,R,W,Q to 34th St./Herald Sq., walk west

www.911truth.org
pricing TBA - many seats will be free

*****************************
SUN SEPT 12
8 pm

NYC Premiere: The Great Conspiracy

Anthology Film Archives
Film Evening - Free!

"The Great Conspiracy: The 9/11 News Special You Never Saw"
A 74-minute documentary by journalist, media critic and 9/11 activist
Barrie Zwicker. A sequel to his ground-breaking video The Great Deception.

(For further information on the film, email [log in to unmask])

Anthology Film Archives
32 Second Ave (at 2nd St.), New York, NY

***********************************
THURS SEPT 16
7:45 pm

Where do we go from here?

The Brecht Forum
122 W. 27 St., 10th floor

All members new and old welcome to discuss the past weeks' events and plan
future actions. How can we keep up the pressure? What form should our
movement and our group take? How can 9/11 Truth become a catalyst for all
social justice movements to unite, a vehicle for ending denial and
awakening the people to past realities and future possibilities?

For more info, contact www.rncguide.com