]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

UVMWOMENSSOCCER Home

UVMWOMENSSOCCER  September 2004

UVMWOMENSSOCCER September 2004

Catamounts Shutout UNC in Women's Soccer

Lisa Champagne <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Womens Soccer Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Sep 2004 18:49:38 -0400

University of Vermont Womenıs Soccer Game Summary
For More Information Contact: Lisa Champagne - 802/656-1818

Catamounts Shutout UNC

Vermont 2, Northern Colorado 0
September 3, 2004 * Laramie, Wyo. * Brown & Gold Tourney

LARAMIE, Wyo. ­ In its first road game of the season, the University of
Vermont womenıs soccer team shutout the University of Northern Colorado,
2-0, in first round action at the Brown and Gold Tournament hosted by the
University of Wyoming.

Vermont (2-1-0) scored both goals in the first half.  Junior Jamie Koehnlein
(Honeoye, N.Y.) sent a blast over the head of Northern Colorado goalkeeper
Chrissy Marvin from 20 yards out to give the Catamounts a 1-0 lead in the
10th minute of action.

Junior Melissa Witkiewicz (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) added another tally in
the 31st minute.  Witkiewicz bended a ball into the net with her left foot
from just outside the corner of the penalty box.  She has tallied four
points in the last two games on a goal and two assists.

³We are really excited the team rose to the challenge and posted a shutout
victory on our first road game of the year,² said head coach Kerry
Dziczkaniec.  ³The defense was solid today and they are really coming
together as a unit. On offense we have demonstrated we have several scoring
threats on the field.  We are getting better with every half and thatıs one
of our goals.²

Vermont dominated much of the action, out shooting UNC 15-7 in the match.
Redshirt freshman Lindsey Carfagna (Moon Township, Pa.) made two saves to
earn her first career shutout for Vermont.  Marvin was credited with five
stops in the Northern Colorado (0-3-0) net.

The Brown and Gold Tournament continues on Sunday, September 5 when Vermont
faces the hosts, Wyoming, at 4:00pm (EST).

TEAM (record)              1  2  Final
Vermont (2-1-0)            2  0  2
Northern Colordao (0-3-0)  0  0  0

Scoring:
9:40 - UVM - Jamie Koehnlein (unassisted)
30:24 - UVM - Melissa Witkiewicz (unassisted)
Saves:
UVM-Lindsey Carfagna (90:00 min) 2 saves
UNC-Chrissy Marvin (90:00 min), 5 saves
Shots: UVM-15; UNC-7
Offsides: UVM-2, UNC-6
Fouls: UVM-8, UNC-7

Lisa Champagne
Assistant Director Athletic Communications
University of Vermont
226 Patrick Gym
Burlington, VT 05405
P: 802/656-1818